Eugene Allan Burdick was born on October 15, 1912, at Stony Creek Township, Williams County, North Dakota. He was the son of Usher Lloyd and Emma Cecelia (Robertson) Burdick. Eugene Burdick attended public school in Williston, North Dakota, and graduated from Williston High School in 1929. He attended the University of Minnesota, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1933. Following graduation, he enrolled at the University's law school, graduating with a Juris Doctor degree in 1935. On February 14, 1939, Burdick married May Picard of Bainville, Montana and they had two children William and Elizabeth.
Burdick was admitted to the North Dakota bar in July 1935, and opened a general practice firm in Williston. He was first elected States Attorney for Williams County in 1939, and served three consecutive terms, until 1945. On June 1, 1953, Burdick was appointed Judge of the Fifth (now Northwest) Judicial District by North Dakota Governor C. Norman Brunsdale. Burdick was reelected to four six-year terms, before retiring on December 31, 1978.
Burdick was an active member of the State Bar Association of North Dakota. He served terms as Secretary, Vice President and President. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Award by the State Bar Association in 1983. He was also active in the National Conference of State Trial Judges from 1959 to 1974, serving for a time as a member of the Executive Committee. Burdick was also active in the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws for more than forty years. He held several offices in this organization, including President.
Following his retirement from the bar, Burdick continued to live in Williston. Burdick and his wife moved permanently to Sarasota, Florida. Eugene Burdick died on November 3, 2000, in Sarasota.
The Eugene A. Burdick Papers have been divided into three series as follows:
Series 1: Personal Materials
Series 2: Legal Materials - North Dakota
Series 3: Legal Materials - National
Four photographs were separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets, while four audio cassette tapes were separated and placed in the Audio Tape Collection.