The PEO Sisterhood was established January 21, 1869, in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan University. The organization was established as a philanthropic and educational society for women. Although comprised of only seven members at its founding, PEO now has thousands of chapters and members throughout the United States.
Chapter AF was the third chapter to be established in Grand Forks, North Dakota. The Chapter received its charter on March 31, 1947. During its first year, the Chapter consisted of sixteen members.