- Record Groups
First Baptist Church of Grand Forks Records
First Baptist Church of Grand Forks Records, 1881-1938
Title: First Baptist Church of Grand Forks Records, 1881-1938
Primary Creator: First Baptist Church, Grand Forks (1881-1945)
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 04/17/1998. More info below under Accruals.
Subjects: Grand Forks - Churches, Religion - Church Records
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
The First Baptist Church was organized October 16, 1881. Charter members were: Lucinda and Leroy H. Carter, Sarah Fletcher, Mr. And Mrs. W.A. Bruce, Thomas Griffin, Isaac Stiles, John S. and Rachel Milne, John W. Skidmore and E.G. Rice. The first pastor was C.Y. Snell, who preached his first sermon on March 12, 1882. The first church chapel, a small, modest building, was dedicated on March 4, 1883, followed by the first baptism a week later. A larger church was dedicated in late 1887.
In 1945, First Baptist Church and Plymouth Congregational Church merged to form The Federated Church of Grand Forks.
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Accruals: Additional materials were donated by Mary Margaret Frank of Grand Forks, on April 17, 1998 (98-2202) and by Colleen Curtis of Portland, OR, in 2005 (2005-2806).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; the original acquisition records are unavailable
Related Materials: Federated Church Records: OGLMC 759
A History of the First Baptist Church of Grand Forks, North Dakota by J. Duane Squires (1931)
10th Anniversary Observance: The Federated Church (1956)
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). First Baptist Church of Grand Forks Records. OGLMC 152, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in January 2015.
Other URL: http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH000948962
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Clerk’s record book of Church meeting minutes, 1881-1888
- Folder 2: Clerk’s record book of Church meeting minutes, 1888-1911
- Folder 3: Journal of Annual Meeting minutes, 1914-1938
- Folder 4: Copies of The Baptist Bulletin, 1896-1897
- Folder 5: Register, 1914-1931
- Folder 6: Photographs
- Photograph 1: Exterior view of the church building located at North 5th Street and First Avenue in Grand Forks. Photograph is actually a postcard.
- Photograph 2: Four ministers of First Baptist Church, ca. 1920. In front are Rev. Harvey J. Moore and Rev. R.G. Pierson, and in back are Rev. Frank E.R. Miller and Rev. J.F. Mills
- Folder 7: Historical Materials
First Baptist Church Annual (The Red Book - Church Directory and History), 1899
Baptist Ladies Aid, 1915
Fiftieth Anniversary booklet, 1931