North Dakota Federal Emergency Relief Administration Records, 1934-1935
Extent: 0.75 Linear Feet
Contains reports, newsletters, recipes, and bulletins published by the North Dakota Federal Emergency Relief Administration, which was part of the larger Federal Emergency Relief Administration, one of the major New Deal programs to attempt to bring relief to Americans during the Great Depression.
The collection contains records that document the activity of the Federal Surplus Relief Corporation in Pembina County, North Dakota in 1934. The monies appropriated under the Jones-Connally Act were used to purchase cattle in drought-stricken areas, which included North Dakota. The purchased cattle were slaughtered and shipped to Minneapolis-St. Paul to relieve urban poverty, as well as Indianapolis, St. Joseph, Missouri, Sioux City, Waterloo, and Ottumwa, Iowa.
In addition, the Federal Surplus Relief Agency administered the Subsistence Cow Program. Suitable cows were selected at shipping points and distributed within Pembina County to supply milk and cream for a needy family. The title for each cow remained with the FERA and delivery could be demanded at any time. In 1935, the Subsistence Cow Program was turned over to the Rural Rehabilitation Corporation in the state.
The records also include correspondence between C.A. Anderson, surplus cattle agent in Pembina County and M.E. Tindall, state supervisor of cattle shipment; agreements and receipts for subsistence cows; weekly disposition reports and shipment reports; and daily shipment print reports. The records date from June 1934 to April 1935.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the Rules and Regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; 78-500
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). North Dakota Federal Emergency Relief Agency Collection. OGLMC 475, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2016.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: "Survey of Rural Education in North Dakota", Dr. J.M. Gillette
- Folder 2: "Relief and Old Age Insurance Public Works Plan", by R. M. Stee
- Folder 3: Food Budget Information and Pamphlets of Recipes, 1935.
- Folder 4: Correspondence, 1935 and Travel Expenses
- Folder 5: Subsistence Cow Program, Agreements, Receipts and Correspondence
- Folder 6: Weekly Disposition and Shipment Reports of Cattle and Correspondence, July 1934-January 1935
- Folder 7: Akra and Backoo Daily Shipping Point Reports, July-September, 1934
- Folder 8: Bathgate and Bowesmont, Daily Shipping Point Reports, July-September, 1934
- Folder 9: Cavalier Daily Shipping Point Reports, July-September, 1934
- Folder 10: Crystal Daily Shipping Point Reports, July-September, 1934
- Folder 11: Drayton Daily Shipping Reports, August, 1934
- Folder 12: Hamilton Daily Shipping Point Reports, July-September, 1934
- Folder 13: Hensel Daily Shipping Point Reports, July-September, 1934
- Folder 14: Joliette Daily Shipping Point Reports, September 1934
Browse by Box: