Bjarne Male Chorus Records, 1890-1977
Primary Creator: Bjarne Male Chorus
Extent: 2.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 01/12/1981. More info below under Accruals.
The Bjarne Male Chorus was established in Grand Forks on July 3, 1881. The choir was founded by H. Fremstad, a native of Norway who migrated to the United States in the late 1870s. Fremstad was a talented musician and was instrumental in organizing male singing societies in Norway. He continued this work after his arrival in America.
The purpose of the organization was "to become as proficient as possible in the rendition of good musical compositions for male voices, to create a deeper appreciation of good music in general and to obtain pleasure and social enjoyment from intercourse with one another." The first meetings were held at the home of L. K. Hassell and later at the Synod Church on Cottonwood Street.
The early members included O. A. Moe, J. D. Wurschmidt, H. A. Moe, L. K. Hassell, Bersvend Johnson, P. J. Bye, O. C. Langseth, Gulick Pederson, S. O. Leen, O. Brodtkrob, O. Hexom, O. L. Sahesen (?), and Anton Pederson. The Bjarne Male Chorus participated in various Norwegian singing festivals. Grand Forks played host to these festivals in 1904 and 1916. The Chorus was still in existence in the 1960s, more than eighty years after it was organized.
The collection includes one folder of material pertaining to the Nora Band, which was organized in 1890 also by Mr. Fremstad. Several members of Bjarne were members of this band. About 1898, the Nora Band was renamed the Grand Forks City Band.
Accruals: Additional material was received from Jay Hillier of the Myra Museum, Grand Forks, North Dakota in 1985 (Acc. 85-1410) and 1987 (Acc. 87-1513), as well as from the Honve House (Acc. 2006-2847) and from the Grand Forks Sons of Norway Lodge (Acc. 2012-3178).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Elaine McLaughlin, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc. 81-701
Preferred Citation: [Description of Item]. Bjarne Male Chorus Records. OGLMC 605, Box number, Folder number. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in July 2012.
Other Note: The Bjarne banner that appears in some of the group photos is in the possesion of the Grand Forks County Historical Society: Myra Museum in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Bjarne History, ca. 1931
- Folder 2: Fun Fest ticket, 1938; Bjarne songs, undated; Newspaper article with letter, 1976-1981
- Folder 3: Norwegian Singers Association of America Sangerfest Programs, 1904, 1912, 1916
- Folder 4: Norwegian Singers Association of America Sangerfest Programs, 1934, 1936
- Folder 5: Red River Valley Norwegian Singers Association and Bjarne Music Programs, 1935-1964
- Folder 6: Sanger-Hilsen (publication of the Norwegian Singers Association of America), Vol. 25:12 and Vol. 26:12, 1934, 1935
- Folder 7: Song books, in Norwegian and in English, ca. 1940-1948
- Folder 8: Constitution, By-laws, and meeting minutes of the Nora Band, 1890-1892