National Youth Administration Records, 1934-1943
Extent: 7.5 Linear Feet
The National Youth Administration (NYA) was created by Executive Order 7086 on 26 June 1935. It was primarily a relief agency within and using the facilities of the Works Progress Administration, although administratively the two organizations were separate. Funds were earmarked by Congress for the general appropriation for emergency relief and apportioned by the U.S. President for two chief aims:
1. Student aid for the part-time employment of needy school, college, and graduate students, to enable them to continue their education
2. Funds for part-time employment of youth from relief families, to work on projects from which they could gain valuable work experience and benefit the communities in which they lived.
The NYA programs at the University of North Dakota were supervised by the University Federal Relief Officer, Mabel Davis. During the program’s first fiscal year, 1935 to 1936, a monthly average of 225 students received aid for a total payroll amount of over $26 million. The second year was the peak year, with an aid to an average of 300 students per month, but this fell to 133 by 1941. Congress terminated the NYA program in 1943.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Unknown
Acquisition Method: Donation; the original acquisition records are unavailable.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). National Youth Administration Records. OGLMC 31, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid input to Archon in March 2016.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: General Correspondence, 1934-1935
- Folder 2: General Correspondence, 1935-1936
- Folder 3: General Correspondence, 1936-1937
- Folder 4: General Correspondence, 1937-1938
- Folder 5: Conference in Valley City, 18 August 1938
- Folder 6: General Correspondence, 1938-1939
- Folder 7: General Correspondence, 1939-1940
- Folder 8: General Correspondence, 1940-1941
- Folder 9: General Correspondence, 1941-1942
- Folder 10: General Correspondence, 1942-1943
- Folder 11: Reports and Correspondence Concerning Student Aid from other Colleges and Universities, 1934-1935
- Folder 12: Compiled lists of NYA students, 1935-1943
- Folder 13: Federal Emergency Relief Administration Lists and Reports, 1934-1935
- Folder 14: Activity Questionnaires, 1935-1936
- Folder 15: Graduate Fund, 1935-1936
- Folder 16: Statistical Studies by J.D. Leith, 1935-1936
- Folder 17: NYA Lists and Reports, 1935-1936
- Folder 18: Notes and Reports, 1936-1937
- Folder 19: NYA Lists and Reports, 1937-1938
- Folder 20: Application Lists and Pencil Worksheets, 1938-1941
- Folder 21: Ceramic Exhibit Correspondence and Photographs, 1939
- Folder 22: College Work Council Correspondence, 1941-1942
- Folder 23: Special Reports on NYA Honors and Projects
Browse by Box: