North Star Quilters Guild Records
Primary Creator: North Star Quilters Guild (1981-)
Extent: 8.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 05/07/2015. More info below under Accruals.
The North Star Quilters Guild was founded in 1981 in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Its main goal is to promote the art of quilting by participating in area forums, introducing new ideas and methods, bringing area quilters together, exchanging ideas with regional quilting guilds, offering classes by quilting professionals, educating the general public, sharing in the appreciation of quilt-making history, and by making and donating quilts through an outreach program. The Guild has grown in ranks since its founding to over 200 active members. Members meet monthly (excluding July) at the University Lutheran Church. Besides monthly meetings, members also participate in different quilting shows such as the Columbia Mall Annual Quilt Show, the Indian Summer Quilt Show, and the St. Paul's Quilting By The River Event. The Guild fabricates not only quilts, but other quilted items as well.
North Star Quilters Guild homepage, http://northstarquilters.org/ (accessed October 6, 2015)
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the Rules and Regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: North Star Quilters Guild, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2015-3273
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). North Star Quilters Guild Records. OGLMC 1638, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Processing Information: Processed by Dawn Cleveland, Special Collections student assistant, in October 2015
Other URL: http://www.northstarquilters.org/
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Item 1: Photograph album 1, September 1995 - August 1996
- Item 2: Photograph album 2, March 1996 - October 1997
- Item 3: Photograph album 3, ca. 1997
- Item 4: Slide album 3, April 1994 - 1995
- Item 5: Slide album 4, 1996
- Item 6: Slide album 5, January 1998 - March 1999
- Item 7: Slide album 6, January 2000 - May 2000
- Folder 1: Newsletters, October 2004 - May 2007
- Folder 2: Newsletters, June 2007 - May 2009
- Folder 3: Newsletters, September 2009 - August 2011
- Folder 4: Loose materials from scrapbooks
- Folder 5: General Information
- Box 2
- Box 3
- Box 4
- Box 5
- Box 6
- Item 1: 1997 Flood Quilt (Three separate parts)
"The Red River Valley Flood Quilt is the result of a challenge put to members of the North Star Quilters Guild to record some aspect of the winter and spring of 1997 in a 12" quilt block. Each of us had different experiences and we all have different skill levels but each block expresses an important part of its maker's life. Most blocks have been signed in the borders of the quilt and many also have an explanation. Thirty-four members shared their feelings in the three panels that make up the quilt."
The individual blocks were set together by Benay Fried and Fran Williams, while Monica Stallman did the quilting.
Quilters on Part 1: Muriel Hoplin, Phyllis Sue Newnan Sand, VKS Crookston, Wynona Wilkins, Benay Fried, Pamela Davis, Iris Lynch, Lyla McLean, Leanne French
Quilters on Part 2: Donald and Susan Cox, Alice Maltern, Mabel Bernard, Evelyn Paschke, Frances Caswell Williams, Margaret Kamnik, Darlyne Christianson, Betty Larsen, Anna Amundson, Bernadine Albrecht
Quilters on Part 3: Nita Fox, Bobbie Shields, Agnes Shurr, Barbara Shuler, Ginger Trzynka, Steve and Irene Mozinski, Cdc, Evangeline Teigen, Dana McLeigh, Vivian Johnson
- Folder 1: Documents regarding the 1997 Flood Quilt
- Item 1: Texts Explaining the Quilt
- Item 2: "Quilt patches together flood memories" by Carol Graham, Grand Forks Herald. 14 May 1998
- Item 3: Panel stitched by Darlyne Christianson featured on each section of the quilt
- The panel highlights a quote from Thomas Jefferson: "Every experience deeply felt in life needs to be passed along. Whether it be through words or music, chiseled in stone, painted with a brush or sewn with a needle. It is a way of reaching for immortality."
- Item 2: Quilt with handprints of the original members of the North Star Quilters Guild, 1985
- The following members were involved: Dorothy Palm, Mary Ann Seim, Dorothy Engen, Clarice DeBoer, Barb Martin, Pat Walker, Summer Betting, M. Hoplin, Leona Wilkins, Mildred Dahlgren, Helen Farrell, Phyllis Newman Sand, Frances C. Williams, Martie Kallira, Frances Welin, Sharon Kosiak, L.D. Anderson, Isis Lynch, Linda Rains, Ethel Olson, Darlyne Christianson, Millie Lee Smith, Shannon Hansen, Winona Wilkins, Kaye Durnin-Canfield, Dorothy Tiedeman, D. Shermoen, Eldonna Holte, Lyla McLean, Faye McGuigan, Mabel Bernard, Marg Kurtyla, Anna Amundson, Laurie Holtz, Linda Burris, Bev Henningson, Louise Juliani, Elvina Sunsdahl, Carol Kelley, Mary Ferguson, Ruth Burrage, and Mernie Gudvig
- Item 3: Quilt with gingerbread cookie cut-out patterns made by the original members of the North Star Quilters Guild
- Item 4: Apron Made by Marilyn Dahlgren for the "Quilting on the Red" Exhibition, 1984
- Folder 2: Documents regarding the handprint quilt and the apron
Browse by Box: