- Record Groups
Great Northern Life Insurance Company Records
Great Northern Life Insurance Company Records, 1922-1924
Title: Great Northern Life Insurance Company Records, 1922-1924
Primary Creator: Great Northern Life Insurance Company (1910-1924)
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 05/20/1991
Subjects: Business and Industry, Grand Forks - Business
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
The Great Northern Life Insurance Company was organized in Grand Forks, North Dakota, in 1910. Don McDonald served as president till around 1916 and E.J. Lander served in the same capacity until 1924. On January 31, 1924, the Occidental Life Insurance Company of Los Angeles offered to purchase all of the capital stock of the Great Northern Life Insurance Co. at $200 per share, which was $50-60 more than the actual book value. Local stockholders representing a majority of the stock of the company decided to accept the offer. A contract was signed, with Occidental also agreeing to continue an office in Grand Forks.
For a number of years previous to this agreement, business in the Great Northern Life Insurance Co. had not been satisfactory. E.J. Lander felt that the outlook for the near future was not good. Along with others, he greatly disliked the idea of having to sell the company to outside interests but felt it was advisable to do so.
The two companies officially consolidated in May 1924 and the Great Northern Life Insurance Co. was dissolved the next month. The Occidental Life Insurance Company maintained an office in Grand Forks until the early 1940s.
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Robert Lander, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.#91-1759 and 91-1773
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Great Northern Life Insurance Company Records. OGLMC 1230, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in October 2013.
Other URL: http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH000886261
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence, 1922-1923
- Folder 2: Correspondence, January 1924
- Folder 3: Correspondence, February 1-4, 1924.
- Folder 4: Correspondence, February 5-7, 1924
- Folder 5: Correspondence, February 8-12, 1924
- Folder 6: Correspondence, February 13-20, 1924
- Folder 7: Correspondence, February 21-29, 1924
- Folder 8: Correspondence, March 1-5, 1924
- Folder 9: Correspondence, March 6-10, 1924
- Folder 10: Correspondence, March 11-31, 1924
- Folder 11: Correspondence, April 1924
- Folder 12: Correspondence, May 1924
- Folder 13: Correspondence, June 1924
- Folder 14: Correspondence, July-November 1924
- Folder 15: Legal documents, 1924
- Folder 16: Financial documents, 1923-1924
- Folder 17: Stockholders lists, 1924
- Folder 18: Miscellaneous, 1922-1924