A.L. Hanson Papers
A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Primary Creator: Hanson, A. L. (Albert) (1854-1938)
Extent: 31.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/31/1991. More info below under Accruals.
Albert L. Hanson was born October 28, 1854, in Allamakee County, Iowa. He was one of nine children born to Hans and Maren Hanson, who had immigrated to America from Norway in 1851. Hanson graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, in 1879. Hanson had been involved in private banking since at least 1878. He moved to Hillsboro, Dakota Territory, circa 1881.
In Hillsboro, Hanson went into banking with Amos L. Plummer. Circa 1882, Hanson and Plummer opened up the Hillsboro Bank with Plummer serving as president and Hanson as cashier. Besides general banking duties, they were also involved in making collections and Hanson served as an agent for a number of insurance companies.
In January 1884, Louis G. Phelps sold a Buxton, Dakota Territory, bank to A.L. Hanson and A.L. Plummer. This became a branch bank of the Hillsboro Bank. A.L. Hanson became the manager and Oliver S. Hanson, Albert's younger brother, was named cashier. In September 1884, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson sold the Bank of Buxton to O.S. Hanson and Harry W. Davis. Later on O.S. Hanson bought out Davis.
In 1885, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson obtained a national bank charter under the name of Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer was elected president and Hanson vice-president. In 1887, A.L. Hanson purchased Plummer's shares in the Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer purchased Hanson's interests in the bank in 1890 and became the major stockholder. In 1929, this bank was consolidated with the First National Bank of Hillsboro. All records of the former bank were lost or destroyed. It was also around this time that A.L. Hanson married again, having been widowed earlier.
Circa 1888 A.L. Hanson entered the real estate and tax titles business. In 1889 Hanson advertised "A.L. Hanson, Real Estate, Loans, Tax Titles and Collections." This same year the National Bank of Wahpeton was organized with Daniel Patterson as president and Hanson as vice-president.
A.L. Hanson was a member of the I.O.O.F., or Odd Fellows, having been commissioned District Deputy Grand Master for Traill and Griggs Counties in May 1883. He also served as director and treasurer of the school district at Hillsboro, circa 1884, was Hillsboro's city treasurer from circa 1885-1887, and managed the opera house in Hillsboro, circa 1888-1889. He was also the secretary of the Park Committee, circa 1889, served on the Board of Trustees of the University of North Dakota, circa 1889-1891, and was a member of the Hillsboro Fire Department, circa 1889-1891.
A.L. Hanson died July 23, 1938.
Anderson, Beatrice O, Clarence Anderson and Leonard Beal. Yesteryears in Traill: Traill County, North Dakota. Traill County Historical Society, 1976.
Hauge, Robert and Lila Hauge, ed. Buxton Centennial Book: 1880-1980, Buxton, Traill County, North Dakota. Finley, ND: Buxton Centennial Committee, 1980.
Hillsboro, North Dakota: The First Hundred Years. Hillsboro, ND, 1981.
Iowa State University Alumni Association
Accruals: Additional material was donated by JoAnn Miller, White Earth, Minnesota, on August 24, 1995 (Acc95- 2028) and Louise Spaeth Morris on August 4, 1993 (Acc.93-1916) and in February 2005 (Acc.2005-2752).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Louise S. Morris, Marietta Spaeth Scherer, JoAnn Miller White and Sandra Spaeth Willis
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.91-1785
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). A. L. Hanson Papers. OGLMC 1244, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2015.
Browse by Box:
- Box 6
- Folder 1: 1887-Tanner, Frank - Thompson, Ole
- Folder 2: 1887-Thomson, T.S. - Turner, A.R.
- Folder 3: 1887-Treasurer, Hillsboro - Treasurer, Traill County
- Folder 4: 1887-Tyler, R.S.
- Folder 5: 1887-Ullensaker, Martin H.
- Folder 6: 1887-Unsaker, M.S.
- Folder 7: 1887-Varstredt, G.H. - Veikle, John O.
- Folder 8: 1887-Walker, Henry M. - Waslien, A.P.
- Folder 9: 1887-Wastvedt, G.H.
- Folder 10: 1887-Watertown Fire Insurance Co.
- Folder 11: 1887-Weston, John
- Folder 12: 1887-White, A.A.
- Folder 13: 1887-White, G.A. - Whitney, W.
- Folder 14: 1887-Wick, Oscar
- Folder 15: 1887-Wickens, W.R. - Wilson, H.N.
- Folder 16: 1887-Wold, Peder H. - Woods & Knapp
- Folder 17: 1887-Woodruff, William
- Folder 18: 1887-Ydstie, Julia - Yerxa, T.E.
- Folder 19: 1888-Abstract - Administrator
- Folder 20: 1888-Ames, F.W.
- Folder 21: 1888-Anderson, A.O. - Anderson, John P.
- Folder 22: 1888-Anderson, Geo. Jr.
- Folder 23: 1888-Anderson, Knudt - Anderson, T.G.
- Folder 24: 1888-Andrews, A.H. & Co. - Axtell, James
- Folder 25: 1888-Bacon, Elias O. - Barn, A.J.
- Folder 26: 1888-Barnard, Geo. D. - Bank of Northwood
- Folder 27: 1888-Bayless, V.W.
- Folder 28: 1888-Beatty, G.W. - Best, William H.
- Folder 29: 1888-Beidler & Robinson Lumber Co.
- Folder 30: 1888-Bekkelund Bros.
- Folder 31: 1888-Bently, Nathan
- Folder 32: 1888-Billings, H.A. - Bjerkom, Hendrick O.
- Folder 33: 1888-Book Bulletin - Bottineau Bank
- Folder 34: 1888-Bowers, Geo. E. & Co. - Bradstreet Mercantile Agency
- Folder 35: 1888-Brager, Halsten - Brevik, O.
- Folder 36: 1888-Briggs, C.C.
- Folder 37: 1888-Brittain, F.M. - Brown, J.
- Folder 38: 1888-Brunsdale, K.H.
- Folder 39: 1888-Burge, E.A. - Burnham, O.W.
- Folder 40: 1888-Burnham, Samuel
- Folder 41: 1888-Caldwell, J.M.
- Folder 42: 1888-Caledonia, Bank of - Carson, Samuel
- Folder 43: 1888-Carter, W.L. - Caulum, L.H.
- Folder 44: 1888-Chantland Bros. - Clayton, W.E.
- Folder 45: 1888-Clerk of District Court, Stutsman County - Citizens Bank, Portland, DK
- Folder 46: 1888-Cranston, C. - Cyclopedia
- Folder 47: 1888-Darling & Co. - Denton, D.H. & Co.
- Folder 48: 1888-Dewey, Jno. A.
- Folder 49: 1888-Eckler, B.D. - Edwards J.H. Jr.
- Folder 50: 1888-Ehlers, Jno. H. - Elwood, E.C.
- Folder 51: 1888-Emerson, Lowe - Evanson, Torgen
- Folder 52: 1888-Erickson, Edward
- Folder 53: 1888-Fair - Fargo Loan Agency
- Folder 54: 1888-Falconer, Thomas
- Folder 55: 1888-Falkner, David
- Folder 56: 1888-Fearer, W.H. - Fire Dept., Hillsboro
- Folder 57: 1888-Flaherty, B. - Ford, T.
- Folder 58: 1888-Forthum, C. - Freeman & Stephens
- Folder 59: 1888-Fuller & Johnson
- Folder 60: 1888-Garnas, Mrs. Safie - Goose River Investment Co.
- Folder 61: 1888-Goose River Telephone Company - Granna, A.J.
- Folder 62: 1888-Graves & Vinton Company
- Folder 63: 1888-Groven, Ole T.
- Folder 64: 1888-Gross, George B.
- Folder 65: 1888-Haagensen, H. - Hammond Type Writer Co.
- Folder 66: 1888-Haddeland, O.
- Folder 67: 1888-Hancock, Geo. - Hanson, J.H. & Bros.
- Folder 68: 1888-Hanson, O.S., Bank of Buxton
- Folder 69: 1888-Hardin, E.D.
- Folder 70: 1888-Harwood, A.J. - Hazen, B.C.
- Folder 71: 1888-Heanly, L.L. - Hillsboro Press
- Folder 72: 1888-Hodge, L.D. - Horses
- Folder 73: 1888-Hoffman, John
- Folder 74: 1888-Houghton, L.
- Folder 75: 1888-Hovde, Knudt - Huntley, C.G.
- Folder 76: 1888-Howland & Son
- Folder 77: 1888-Hustvedt, S.H.
- Folder 78: 1888-Ingram, F.E.
- Folder 79: 1888-Ivenson, Iven
- Folder 80: 1888-Jacobson, G.A. - Jacobson, Iven
- Folder 81: 1888-Jacobson, J.G.
- Folder 82: 1888-Jacobson, Jacob - Johanson, Kristian
- Folder 83: 1888-Johnson, Geo. H.F.
- Folder 84: 1888-Johnson, Halvor - Journal Job Printing & Publishing Co.
- Folder 85: 1888-Kaase, Ole
- Folder 86: 1888-Kane, Thomas & Company - Kean, S.A. & Co.
- Folder 87: 1888-Kennedy, D.A. - Knight, James
- Folder 88: 1888-Knudson, K. - Kringlee, R.K.
- Folder 89: 1888-Land - Lard, C.J.
- Folder 90: 1888-Larson, Lars
- Folder 91: 1888-Lavalley - Lerum, I.
- Folder 92: 1888-Lewis, L.D.
- Folder 93: 1888-Lie, Thorvald - Lilleberg, Geo.
- Folder 94: 1888-Lincoln, Abraham - Lundez, Chittel, G.
- Folder 95: 1888-McHugh, P. - McSherry, D.E. & Co.
- Folder 96: 1888-Mairs, Abbey
- Folder 97: 1888-Major, O. - Mayville
- Folder 98: 1888-Miller & Cleland - Minnesota & Dakota Elevato Co.
- Folder 99: 1888-Molstad, N.J. - Morgan, W.R.
- Folder 100: 1888-Morris, Peter - Murphy, Philip
- Folder 101: 1888-Myren, Lewis
- Folder 102: 1888-Narvig - Nesvig, J.
- Folder 103: 1888-New England Furniture and Carpet Co.
- Folder 104: 1888-Newell, Geo. R. & Co. - Nichol, John
- Folder 105: 1888-Nomland, Knud J.
- Folder 106: 1888-North British & Mercantile Insurance Company
- Folder 107: 1888-Northwestern Elevator Co. - Northern Pacific Railroad Company
- Folder 108: 1888-Noyes & McGee
- Folder 109: 1888-O'Brien
- Folder 110: 1888-Odegard, J.T.
- Folder 111: 1888-Oein, K.A. - Olsen, Swen
- Folder 112: 1888-Opera House
- Folder 113: 1888-Osborn, C.P. - Otter Tail County, Treasurer
- Folder 114: 1888-Palen, J.G. - Patterson, Daniel
- Folder 115: 1888-Patterson, Jos. - Paulson, E.M. & Co.
- Folder 116: 1888-Peck, H.N. - Pre-emption
- Folder 117: 1888-Pickert
- Folder 118: 1888-Pratt, Geo.
- Folder 119: 1888-Quilliam, Jno.
- Folder 120: 1888-Reah, H.H.
- Folder 121: 1888-Real Estate - Reynolds, P.O.
- Folder 122: 1888-Rosholt, J.
- Folder 123: 1888-Reed, D.W.
- Folder 124: 1888-Rud, H. - Ruisler, Ole
- Folder 125: 1888-St. Anthony & Dakota Elevator Co. - Scott, W.M.
- Folder 126: 1888-Sargeant, Asa
- Folder 127: 1888-Schutt, Herman - Selby, J.F.
- Folder 128: 1888-Seymour, E.S.
- Folder 129: 1888-Shotwell, D.B. - Skjeroeth, C.
- Folder 130: 1888-Skalkegaard, Lars L. - Sletmoen, Jacob
- Folder 131: 1888-Small, S.S.
- Folder 132: 1888-Smith, Bates & Co. - Smith, J.M.
- Folder 133: 1888-Smith, Peter C.
- Folder 134: 1888-Smith, Peter W. - Sondreall, Steen E.
- Folder 135: 1888-Sonum, Benhard A. - Sorum, Ole J.
- Folder 136: 1888-Sorley, J.A.
- Folder 137: 1888-Spalding, B.F.
- Folder 138: 1888-Stacy, Wm. K. - Stomner, Geo. O.
- Folder 139: 1888-Stroup, J.W. - Sunby, K.N.
- Folder 140: 1888-Sunby, A.N.
- Folder 141: 1888-Swift, Chas. G.
- Folder 142: 1888-Taxes
- Folder 143: 1888-Taylor, B. - Thomas, Ludlow & Rodgers
- Folder 144: 1888-Thompson, H.S. - Trave, Ole
- Folder 145: 1888-Treasurer, Traill County - Tyler, R.S.
- Folder 146: 1888-Ullensaker, M.H.
- Folder 147: 1888-Vaglor, John - Vrualstad, E.
- Folder 148: 1888-Ward, G.A. - Wattles, G.W.
- Folder 149: 1888-Watertown Fire Insurance Co.
- Folder 150: 1888-Webb, Geo. H. - Weston, Geo.
- Folder 151: 1888-Wenge, Knud Peterson
- Folder 152: 1888-Weston, John - Whited, E.
- Folder 153: 1888-Whitney & Watts
- Folder 154: 1888-Wick, Fred - Wilson, John
- Folder 155: 1888-Wold, Peter H. - Ydstie, Andrew O.
- Folder 156: 1889-Aikins, M.J. - Anchor Line
- Folder 157: 1889-Ames, F.W.
- Folder 158: 1889-Anderson, Ole - Arnesse, Ayness
- Folder 159: 1889-Bacon, Elias O. - Basunen, Afholds Publishing Co.
- Folder 160: 1889-Bayless, V.W. - Benton, Amidon & Bradley
- Folder 161: 1889-Berg, Ole M. - Bjorkum, H.O.
- Folder 162: 1889-Black, David - Boysen, S.E.
- Folder 163: 1889-Bradstreet Company - Brooks Brothers, Grain and Lumber
- Folder 164: 1889-Briggs, C.C.
- Folder 165: 1889-Brittain, F.M.
- Folder 166: 1889-Brunsdale, K.H.
- Folder 167: 1889-Burleign County, Treasurer - Burnett & Sons' Farming Company
- Folder 168: 1889-Burge, E.A.
- Folder 169: 1889-Cameron, Ben - Carriages and Sleighs
- Folder 170: 1889-Carter, W.L.
- Folder 171: 1889-Cassell, M.B.
- Folder 172: 1889-Cemetary - Clerk of District Court, Traill County
- Folder 173: 1889-Commission, Grain
- Folder 174: 1889-Cooper, H.J.
- Folder 175: 1889-Cooper, Chris E. - Crittenden, M.H.
Browse by Box: