A.L. Hanson Papers
A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Primary Creator: Hanson, A. L. (Albert) (1854-1938)
Extent: 31.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/31/1991. More info below under Accruals.
Albert L. Hanson was born October 28, 1854, in Allamakee County, Iowa. He was one of nine children born to Hans and Maren Hanson, who had immigrated to America from Norway in 1851. Hanson graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, in 1879. Hanson had been involved in private banking since at least 1878. He moved to Hillsboro, Dakota Territory, circa 1881.
In Hillsboro, Hanson went into banking with Amos L. Plummer. Circa 1882, Hanson and Plummer opened up the Hillsboro Bank with Plummer serving as president and Hanson as cashier. Besides general banking duties, they were also involved in making collections and Hanson served as an agent for a number of insurance companies.
In January 1884, Louis G. Phelps sold a Buxton, Dakota Territory, bank to A.L. Hanson and A.L. Plummer. This became a branch bank of the Hillsboro Bank. A.L. Hanson became the manager and Oliver S. Hanson, Albert's younger brother, was named cashier. In September 1884, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson sold the Bank of Buxton to O.S. Hanson and Harry W. Davis. Later on O.S. Hanson bought out Davis.
In 1885, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson obtained a national bank charter under the name of Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer was elected president and Hanson vice-president. In 1887, A.L. Hanson purchased Plummer's shares in the Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer purchased Hanson's interests in the bank in 1890 and became the major stockholder. In 1929, this bank was consolidated with the First National Bank of Hillsboro. All records of the former bank were lost or destroyed. It was also around this time that A.L. Hanson married again, having been widowed earlier.
Circa 1888 A.L. Hanson entered the real estate and tax titles business. In 1889 Hanson advertised "A.L. Hanson, Real Estate, Loans, Tax Titles and Collections." This same year the National Bank of Wahpeton was organized with Daniel Patterson as president and Hanson as vice-president.
A.L. Hanson was a member of the I.O.O.F., or Odd Fellows, having been commissioned District Deputy Grand Master for Traill and Griggs Counties in May 1883. He also served as director and treasurer of the school district at Hillsboro, circa 1884, was Hillsboro's city treasurer from circa 1885-1887, and managed the opera house in Hillsboro, circa 1888-1889. He was also the secretary of the Park Committee, circa 1889, served on the Board of Trustees of the University of North Dakota, circa 1889-1891, and was a member of the Hillsboro Fire Department, circa 1889-1891.
A.L. Hanson died July 23, 1938.
Anderson, Beatrice O, Clarence Anderson and Leonard Beal. Yesteryears in Traill: Traill County, North Dakota. Traill County Historical Society, 1976.
Hauge, Robert and Lila Hauge, ed. Buxton Centennial Book: 1880-1980, Buxton, Traill County, North Dakota. Finley, ND: Buxton Centennial Committee, 1980.
Hillsboro, North Dakota: The First Hundred Years. Hillsboro, ND, 1981.
Iowa State University Alumni Association
Accruals: Additional material was donated by JoAnn Miller, White Earth, Minnesota, on August 24, 1995 (Acc95- 2028) and Louise Spaeth Morris on August 4, 1993 (Acc.93-1916) and in February 2005 (Acc.2005-2752).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Louise S. Morris, Marietta Spaeth Scherer, JoAnn Miller White and Sandra Spaeth Willis
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.91-1785
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). A. L. Hanson Papers. OGLMC 1244, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2015.
Browse by Box:
- Box 5
- Folder 1: 1886-Odegard, J.T.
- Folder 2: 1886-Olsen, Ingebor - Olson, Ben
- Folder 3: 1886-Olson, John
- Folder 4: 1886-Olson, Ole M.
- Folder 5: 1886-Olson, Osmund - Ottumwa Starch Co.
- Folder 6: 1886-Panta, Julius
- Folder 7: c1886-Patterson, W.A.
- Folder 8: 1886-Pearson, Lern - Pitts Agricultural Works
- Folder 9: 1886-Plummer, A.L.
- Folder 10: 1886-Plummer, B.A. - Powers Dry Goods Co.
- Folder 11: 1886-Plummer, M.A.
- Folder 12: 1886-Ray, Robert - Read, J.C.
- Folder 13: 1886-Reah, H.H.
- Folder 14: 1886-Reeve, J. - Reuid, A.E.
- Folder 15: 1886-Revolution Ins. Co. - Riveland, R.
- Folder 16: 1886-Roberts, Augustus - Rosholt, J.
- Folder 17: 1886-Russell, Charles
- Folder 18: 1886-Rygg, Ingebrigt
- Folder 19: 1886-St. Paul Harvester Works - Sandwich Manufacturing Company
- Folder 20: 1886-Scanton, J.B.
- Folder 21: 1886-Schmidt, Charles G. - Sercomb
- Folder 22: 1886-Seine, Ole
- Folder 23: 1886-Seymour, E.S.
- Folder 24: 1886-Shave, Walter - Skaugstad, Nels
- Folder 25: 1886-Smart, H.P.
- Folder 26: 1886-Smith & Hawley - Sonstrud
- Folder 27: 1886-Sorley, J.A. - Steele, C.M.
- Folder 28: 1886-Steele, Charles - Stewart, N.A.
- Folder 29: 1886-Steward, S. - Strinberg, Henry
- Folder 30: 1886-Strong-Hackett Hardware Co.
- Folder 31: 1886-Stroup,J. - Sundby, A.
- Folder 32: 1886-Sunby, Nels K.
- Folder 33: 1886-Sunby, Ole N.
- Folder 34: 1886-Sundet, John - Swift, Charles
- Folder 35: 1886-Talsno, Ludvig N. - Thayer, Geo. F.
- Folder 36: 1886-Thomas, A.D. - Thompson, Ole
- Folder 37: 1886-Thompsons American Bank Report - Thorson, A.J.
- Folder 38: 1886-Thorstad, John S. - Traill, J.
- Folder 39: 1886-Treasurer, Hillsboro - Treasurer, Traill County
- Folder 40: 1886-Tufts, James W. - Tyler, R.S.
- Folder 41: 1886-Ullensaker, Martin H.
- Folder 42: 1886-Underdahl, R.J. - Veikle, John
- Folder 43: 1886-Vaughn, S.
- Folder 44: 1886-Waage, M.J. - Walsh, Thomas
- Folder 45: 1886-Walter A. Wood Mowing & Reaping Machine Co.
- Folder 46: 1886-Warren, Bank of
- Folder 47: 1886-Waslin, A.P.
- Folder 48: 1886-Wheel and Seeder Co. - Whiting & Carlisle
- Folder 49: 1886-White, A.A.
- Folder 50: 1886-White, G.A.
- Folder 51: 1886-Wieland, Ernst
- Folder 52: 1886-Wilbur, D.B. - Winship, Geo. B.
- Folder 53: 1886-Willson, H.N.
- Folder 54: 1886-Wilson Ball & Wallin
- Folder 55: 1886-Winter, Fred D.
- Folder 56: 1886-W.P. Co. - Wood, L.N. & Co.
- Folder 57: 1886-Woodhouse, S.W. - Woodwis, R.
- Folder 58: 1886-Yanz, Griggs & Howes
- Folder 59: 1887-Aakre, E.G. - Anderson, John S.
- Folder 60: 1887-Ames, F.W.
- Folder 61: 1887-Anderson, M. - Argus
- Folder 62: 1887-Arbecam, B.L. & Co.
- Folder 63: 1887-Asheim, Osten
- Folder 64: 1887-Bacon, Elias
- Folder 65: 1887-Baker, W.D. - Beale, Benjamin
- Folder 66: 1887-Bayless, V.W.
- Folder 67: 1887-Beidler & Robinson Lumber Co.
- Folder 68: 1887-Belanger, F.
- Folder 69: 1887-Bell, Andrew
- Folder 70: 1887-Berge, Lars - Berge, N.
- Folder 71: 1887-Best, William H.
- Folder 72: 1887-Bigelow, E.A. & Co. - Bowers, G.E.
- Folder 73: 1887-Bradstreet Company
- Folder 74: 1887-Branch, L.B. - Brownson, C.
- Folder 75: 1887-Briggs, C.C.
- Folder 76: 1887-Brunsdale, K.H.
- Folder 77: 1887-Burleigh Co. - Burnham, Samuel
- Folder 78: 1887-Castle Shirt Co. - Cline, J.W.
- Folder 79: 1887-Comstock, S.G.
- Folder 80: 1887-Conant, C.M. - Dakota Investment Company
- Folder 81: 1887-Dakota Mutual Insurance Company
- Folder 82: 1887-Dalrymple, A.R.
- Folder 83: 1887-Damas - Demsmore, H.L.
- Folder 84: 1887-Dennis, Wm. H.
- Folder 85: 1887-Dewey, J.A. - Diebold & Kienzle
- Folder 86: 1887-Elliott, T.E.
- Folder 87: 1887-Ellis, A.F. - Ellit, Arthur
- Folder 88: 1887-Engeberetsan, A. - Ewe, G.F.
- Folder 89: 1887-Falconer, Robert W. - Ferrcel, Anton
- Folder 90: 1887-Fidelity Fire Insurance Co.
- Folder 91: 1887-First National Bank of Charles City - Ford, E.G.
- Folder 92: 1887-Ford, T. - Francis & Southard
- Folder 93: 1887-Fuller & Johnson
- Folder 94: 1887-Gaarder, Ole - Gibbs, L.B.
- Folder 95: 1887-Gilchriest, W.M. - Goodman
- Folder 96: 1887-Goose River Bank, Mayville
- Folder 97: 1887-Goose River Investment Co. - Grandin, J.L. & E.B.
- Folder 98: 1887-Graves & Vinton
- Folder 99: 1887-Greene, M.W. - Gunderson
- Folder 100: 1887-Haakensen, Haaken
- Folder 101: 1887-Hall, John B. - Hanson, John H.
- Folder 102: 1887-Hanson, J.J.
- Folder 103: 1887-Hanson, O.S., Bank of Buxton
- Folder 104: 1887-Hardin, E.D.
- Folder 105: 1887-Harkson, Karen M. - Henderson, J.W.
- Folder 106: 1887-Hennessey, Eliza
- Folder 107: 1887-Herberg, John W.
- Folder 108: 1887-Herre, Nels
- Folder 109: 1887-Hettain, Hans - Holle, John B.
- Folder 110: 1887-Hillsboro National Bank
- Folder 111: 1887-Holmes, W.F. - Honstain, G.T.
- Folder 112: 1887-Horton & Elken - Hovde, Ole
- Folder 113: 1887-Hovland & Erickson - Hubbul, N.K.
- Folder 114: 1887-Ingvalson, Hans - Ivenson, Iven K.
- Folder 115: 1887-Jacobson, J.G.
- Folder 116: 1887-Jahr, E.T. - Jewett, J.O.
- Folder 117: 1887-Johnson, Andrew - Jordan, Ole
- Folder 118: 1887-Johnson, Geo. H.F.
- Folder 119: 1887-Johnson, John H.
- Folder 120: 1887-Kapperdahl, Han J. - Kindred, W.A.
- Folder 121: 1887-Kittelson - Krogh, Henry
- Folder 122: 1887-Labnee, A.D. - Lander, E.J. & Co.
- Folder 123: 1887-Langlie, H.A. - Larson, Iver
- Folder 124: 1887-Laud - Lilleberg, Elias B.
- Folder 125: 1887-Lewis, Leslie D.
- Folder 126: 1887-Lilleberg, Geo. - Lycan, W.
- Folder 127: 1887-McCormack, M.L. - Maguire, J.
- Folder 128: 1887-Mahnken, Charles J.
- Folder 129: 1887-Major, O. - Mastruel, S.
- Folder 130: 1887-Maxfield & Seabury
- Folder 131: 1887-May, C. - Messingham, Henry D.
- Folder 132: 1887-Miller, H.F.
- Folder 133: 1887-Minneapolis Harvester Works - Morgan, Jno. F.
- Folder 134: 1887-Morton County, Treasurer - Myron, Lewis
- Folder 135: 1887-Naeseth, O.K. - Nicol, John
- Folder 136: 1887-Nomland, Knud J.
- Folder 137: 1887-Norris, K.F.
- Folder 138: 1887-North British & Mercantile Insurance Company
- Folder 139: 1887-North Dakota Farmer - Northwest Land Company
- Folder 140: 1887-Northwestern Elevator Co.
- Folder 141: 1887-Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company - Nupson, Henry
- Folder 142: 1887-Northwestern Trust Company
- Folder 143: 1887-Odegard, J.T.
- Folder 144: 1887-Olsen, Chris - Overmoen, Torger J.
- Folder 145: 1887-Patterson, Daniel - Patterson, Joseph
- Folder 146: 1887-Patterson, W.A.
- Folder 147: 1887-Paulson, E.M. - Phoenix Insurance Co., Hartford, Conn.
- Folder 148: 1887-Pederson, Jens H.
- Folder 149: 1887-Plaindealer, The - Prichard & Nunn
- Folder 150: 1887-Plummer, A.L.
- Folder 151: 1887-Pratt, George
- Folder 152: 1887-Rediske, H. - Reuide, A.E.
- Folder 153: 1887-Roberts, Augustus - Rudrud, Peder
- Folder 154: 1887-St. Paul Harvester Works - Sargeant, Asa
- Folder 155: 1887-Scanton, J.B. - Schwindler, Constantine
- Folder 156: 1887-Seaver, Sullivan - Selby, W.A.
- Folder 157: 1887-Seymour, E.S.
- Folder 158: 1887-Sheriff - Skjersetil, Amind
- Folder 159: 1887-Skogen, Anton - Sorley, J.A.
- Folder 160: 1887-Spalding & Templeton
- Folder 161: 1887-Stacy, Wm. H. - Stevens, M.S.
- Folder 162: 1887-Stickney, A.B. - Strong-Hackett Hardware Co.
- Folder 163: 1887-Sullivan, John H. - Swift, Chas. G.
Browse by Box: