A.L. Hanson Papers
A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Primary Creator: Hanson, A. L. (Albert) (1854-1938)
Extent: 31.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/31/1991. More info below under Accruals.
Albert L. Hanson was born October 28, 1854, in Allamakee County, Iowa. He was one of nine children born to Hans and Maren Hanson, who had immigrated to America from Norway in 1851. Hanson graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, in 1879. Hanson had been involved in private banking since at least 1878. He moved to Hillsboro, Dakota Territory, circa 1881.
In Hillsboro, Hanson went into banking with Amos L. Plummer. Circa 1882, Hanson and Plummer opened up the Hillsboro Bank with Plummer serving as president and Hanson as cashier. Besides general banking duties, they were also involved in making collections and Hanson served as an agent for a number of insurance companies.
In January 1884, Louis G. Phelps sold a Buxton, Dakota Territory, bank to A.L. Hanson and A.L. Plummer. This became a branch bank of the Hillsboro Bank. A.L. Hanson became the manager and Oliver S. Hanson, Albert's younger brother, was named cashier. In September 1884, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson sold the Bank of Buxton to O.S. Hanson and Harry W. Davis. Later on O.S. Hanson bought out Davis.
In 1885, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson obtained a national bank charter under the name of Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer was elected president and Hanson vice-president. In 1887, A.L. Hanson purchased Plummer's shares in the Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer purchased Hanson's interests in the bank in 1890 and became the major stockholder. In 1929, this bank was consolidated with the First National Bank of Hillsboro. All records of the former bank were lost or destroyed. It was also around this time that A.L. Hanson married again, having been widowed earlier.
Circa 1888 A.L. Hanson entered the real estate and tax titles business. In 1889 Hanson advertised "A.L. Hanson, Real Estate, Loans, Tax Titles and Collections." This same year the National Bank of Wahpeton was organized with Daniel Patterson as president and Hanson as vice-president.
A.L. Hanson was a member of the I.O.O.F., or Odd Fellows, having been commissioned District Deputy Grand Master for Traill and Griggs Counties in May 1883. He also served as director and treasurer of the school district at Hillsboro, circa 1884, was Hillsboro's city treasurer from circa 1885-1887, and managed the opera house in Hillsboro, circa 1888-1889. He was also the secretary of the Park Committee, circa 1889, served on the Board of Trustees of the University of North Dakota, circa 1889-1891, and was a member of the Hillsboro Fire Department, circa 1889-1891.
A.L. Hanson died July 23, 1938.
Anderson, Beatrice O, Clarence Anderson and Leonard Beal. Yesteryears in Traill: Traill County, North Dakota. Traill County Historical Society, 1976.
Hauge, Robert and Lila Hauge, ed. Buxton Centennial Book: 1880-1980, Buxton, Traill County, North Dakota. Finley, ND: Buxton Centennial Committee, 1980.
Hillsboro, North Dakota: The First Hundred Years. Hillsboro, ND, 1981.
Iowa State University Alumni Association
Accruals: Additional material was donated by JoAnn Miller, White Earth, Minnesota, on August 24, 1995 (Acc95- 2028) and Louise Spaeth Morris on August 4, 1993 (Acc.93-1916) and in February 2005 (Acc.2005-2752).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Louise S. Morris, Marietta Spaeth Scherer, JoAnn Miller White and Sandra Spaeth Willis
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.91-1785
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). A. L. Hanson Papers. OGLMC 1244, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2015.
Browse by Box:
- Box 3
- Folder 1: 1885-Caledonia, Bank of - Case, J.I. Threshing Machine Co.
- Folder 2: 1885-Cass County, Register of Deeds - Chase, William
- Folder 3: 1885-Chicago National Bank - City Bank, Forest River
- Folder 4: 1885-City Bank, Minneapolis - Coates Brothers
- Folder 5: 1885-Collius, W. - Conklin, James W.
- Folder 6: 1885-Continental Insurance Company of New York
- Folder 7: 1885-Continental National Bank - Counselman, L.W. & Co.
- Folder 8: 1885-Cox, A.J. & Co. - Curtis, Frank E.
- Folder 9: 1885-C, Receipts for
- Folder 10: 1885-Dakota Fire and Marine Insurance Co. - Darling, C.W.
- Folder 11: 1885-Daut, Fred Tobacco Co. - Davis, Ira T.
- Folder 12: 1885-deGuinon, H.V. - Domestic Sewing Machine Co.
- Folder 13: 1885-Donovan, Daniel - Dun, R.G. & Co.
- Folder 14: 1885-Eager, Ole - Eastman, E.V.
- Folder 15: 1885-Eddy & Smith
- Folder 16: 1885-Eddy, E.B. & Son
- Folder 17: 1885-Edwards, Arthur - Ellingrud, A.
- Folder 18: 1885-Elliott, J. & Co. - Engebretson, Ole
- Folder 19: 1885-Equitable Accident Association - Erstad, John J.
- Folder 20: 1885-Ertz, Charles E. & Co. - Exchange Bank, Anderson, Ind.
- Folder 21: 1885-Fagundilus - Fargo, Bank of
- Folder 22: 1885-Fargo Insurance Co.
- Folder 23: 1885-Fargo Lumber Co. - Faulkner, E.O.
- Folder 24: 1885-Ferry, D.M. & Co. - First National Bank, Chicago
- Folder 25: 1885-First National Bank, Fargo, DK
- Folder 26: 1885-First National Bank of Grafton - First National Bank, Rockford, IL
- Folder 27: 1885-First National Bank of St. Paul
- Folder 28: 1885-Fisher, John M. - Foster, A.G.
- Folder 29: 1885-Fox & Wisdom - Fryas, B.S.
- Folder 30: 1885-Fuller & Johnson
- Folder 31: 1885-F, Receipts for
- Folder 32: 1885-Gage, A.S. & Co. - Geiser Manufacturing Company
- Folder 33: 1885-German National Bank - Gibson, A.
- Folder 34: 1885-Gibson, J.B. - Gilbertson, John
- Folder 35: 1885-Gilchriest, James A.
- Folder 36: 1885-Gold - Gorton, Chas. F.
- Folder 37: 1885-Gould, L. & Co. - Goulet Bros.
- Folder 38: 1885-Graves & Vinton
- Folder 39: 1885-Graves, Paul - Griggs, Alexander
- Folder 40: 1885-Hagan, C.W. - Hanson, A.L.
- Folder 41: 1885-Hanson & Davis
- Folder 42: 1885-Hanson, Frank - Hanson, Martin
- Folder 43: 1885-Hanson, O.S., Bank of Buxton
- Folder 44: 1885-Hardenbergh, P.R.L. & Co. - Harsha, L.R.
- Folder 45: 1885-Harstad, G.A. - Haugane, Svend H.
- Folder 46: 1885-Head, N.L. - Herberg, John
- Folder 47: 1885-Hesgard, K. - Hillsboro National Bank
- Folder 48: 1885-Hobson, H.D.
- Folder 49: 1885-Hoffman, Fred C. - Hodge, L.D.
- Folder 50: 1885-Hodges, A.J. & Co.
- Folder 51: 1885-Hodges & Bowers - Howard, Gunder
- Folder 52: 1885-Hubbard & Fay - Hyde, Mrs. J.E.
- Folder 53: 1885-Immigration and Statistics - Iverson, J.C. & Co.
- Folder 54: 1885-Jackson, C.R. - Jahr, E.T.
- Folder 55: 1885-Jacobson, J.G.
- Folder 56: 1885-Johnson, A.F. - Johnson Bros. & Loomis
- Folder 57: 1885-Johnson, Geo. - Jondahl, John
- Folder 58: 1885-Jones, A.S. - Josh, H.F.
- Folder 59: 1885-Joslin, Charles E.
- Folder 60: 1885-Joyslin & Merriam - Keene, Ole
- Folder 61: 1885-Keerl, R.D. - Kimball, W.W. Co.
- Folder 62: 1885-Kindred, W.A.
- Folder 63: 1885-Kingsbury, W.H.
- Folder 64: 1885-Kittelson, Helge
- Folder 65: 1885-Kleinschmidt, Klinefelter & Newberry - Knutson, S.K.
- Folder 66: 1885-Kohler, H.C. & Co. - Kuigman, R.
- Folder 67: 1885-Lake Shore Oil Company
- Folder 68: 1885-LaMoure, Bank of - Larson, A.C.
- Folder 69: 1885-Lanterman, W.A. & Bro.
- Folder 70: 1885-Larson, Carl C. - Laws of Business
- Folder 71: 1885-Leitch, W. - Lien, A.L.
- Folder 72: 1885-Lilleberg, Elias - Lobben, Henry E.
- Folder 73: 1885-Lohn, Lewis
- Folder 74: 1885-Loitwood - Luck, J.J.
- Folder 75: 1885-Lunde, Elf
- Folder 76: 1885-McConvill, John & Co. - McFarlane, Jos.
- Folder 77: 1885-McGaharen, W.W.
- Folder 78: 1885-McGee & Morgan - McIver, T.G.
- Folder 79: 1885-McKechnie, Alex M. - McLaiss, John H.
- Folder 80: 1885-McLaughlin & Spencer
- Folder 81: 1885-McLean, George - McMahon, E.J.
- Folder 82: 1885-McSherry, D.E. & Co.
- Folder 83: 1885-Major, O. - Manger, John O.
- Folder 84: 1885-Mann, Walter
- Folder 85: 1885-Marder, Luse & Co. - Martin, Terrance
- Folder 86: 1885-Mast, Buford & Burwell Co. - Mayville, Bank of
- Folder 87: 1885-Meland, Ole - Merchants Bank of Glendive
- Folder 88: 1885-Merchants Exchange Bank - Michigan National Bank
- Folder 89: 1885-Miller & Greene
- Folder 90: 1885-Miller, Anton - Minneapolis and Northern Elevator Company
- Folder 91: 1885- Minneapolis Furniture Co. - Moen & Barten
- Folder 92: 1885-Moline Plow Company
- Folder 93: 1885-Monroe, F.J. & Co. - Morrill, C.A. & Co.
- Folder 94: 1885-Morris, John Company
- Folder 95: 1885-Morgan, A.H. - Myren, Lewis
- Folder 96: 1885-M, Receipts for
- Folder 97: 1885-Nash, Charles J. - National Bank of America
- Folder 98: 1885-National Bank of Neenah
- Folder 99: 1885-"National Line" Passenger Ships - Nelson, Edward
- Folder 100: 1885-Nelson, Evans - Neste, E.E. & Co.
- Folder 101: 1885-Newell, Geo. R. & Co. - New England Loan and Trust Company
- Folder 102: 1885-Neuton, L.A.
- Folder 103: 1885-New York, Bank of the State of - Northern Pacific Elevator Company
- Folder 104: 1885-North British & Mercantile Insurance Co.
- Folder 105: 1885-Northwestern Elevator Company, correspondence
- Folder 106: 1885-Northwestern Elevator Company, telegrams
- Folder 107: 1885-Northwestern Elevator Company, wheat prices
- Folder 108: 1885-Northwest Land Co.
- Folder 109: 1885-Northwestern Manufacturing Co. - N.W. Trust Co.
- Folder 110: 1885-Nupson, Henry
- Folder 111: 1885-N, Receipts for
- Folder 112: 1885-Odegard, J.T.
- Folder 113: 1885-Odegard, Ole - Olson, Julia
- Folder 114: 1885-Olson, Lars - Oppenheimer, S. & Co.
- Folder 115: 1885-Olson, Sven
- Folder 116: 1885-Orient Insurance Company
- Folder 117: 1885-Orneberg, Thron O. - Oveson, Osmund
- Folder 118: 1885-Packard, H. - Paterson, John
- Folder 119: 1885-Patterson, W.A.
- Folder 120: 1885-Paul, Solon W. - Payne, E.E.
- Folder 121: 1885-Peck, H.N. - Phelps, Louis G.
- Folder 122: 1885-Phoenix Insurance Co., Hartford, Conn. - Pioneer Press
- Folder 123: 1885-Pitts Agricultural Works, correspondence
- Folder 124: 1885-Pitts Agricultural Works, receipts
- Folder 125: 1885-Pladson, Peder - Plummer, M.A.
- Folder 126: 1885-Plummer, A.L.
- Folder 127: 1885-Portland Inter-Ocean - Prichard & Donelson
Browse by Box: