- Record Groups
- Orin G. Libby Manuscript Co...
- A.L. Hanson Papers
- Finding Aid
A.L. Hanson Papers
A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Title: A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Primary Creator: Hanson, A. L. (Albert) (1854-1938)
Extent: 31.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/31/1991. More info below under Accruals.
Subjects: Business and Industry, Hillsboro, North Dakota
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
Albert L. Hanson was born October 28, 1854, in Allamakee County, Iowa. He was one of nine children born to Hans and Maren Hanson, who had immigrated to America from Norway in 1851. Hanson graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, in 1879. Hanson had been involved in private banking since at least 1878. He moved to Hillsboro, Dakota Territory, circa 1881.
In Hillsboro, Hanson went into banking with Amos L. Plummer. Circa 1882, Hanson and Plummer opened up the Hillsboro Bank with Plummer serving as president and Hanson as cashier. Besides general banking duties, they were also involved in making collections and Hanson served as an agent for a number of insurance companies.
In January 1884, Louis G. Phelps sold a Buxton, Dakota Territory, bank to A.L. Hanson and A.L. Plummer. This became a branch bank of the Hillsboro Bank. A.L. Hanson became the manager and Oliver S. Hanson, Albert's younger brother, was named cashier. In September 1884, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson sold the Bank of Buxton to O.S. Hanson and Harry W. Davis. Later on O.S. Hanson bought out Davis.
In 1885, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson obtained a national bank charter under the name of Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer was elected president and Hanson vice-president. In 1887, A.L. Hanson purchased Plummer's shares in the Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer purchased Hanson's interests in the bank in 1890 and became the major stockholder. In 1929, this bank was consolidated with the First National Bank of Hillsboro. All records of the former bank were lost or destroyed. It was also around this time that A.L. Hanson married again, having been widowed earlier.
Circa 1888 A.L. Hanson entered the real estate and tax titles business. In 1889 Hanson advertised "A.L. Hanson, Real Estate, Loans, Tax Titles and Collections." This same year the National Bank of Wahpeton was organized with Daniel Patterson as president and Hanson as vice-president.
A.L. Hanson was a member of the I.O.O.F., or Odd Fellows, having been commissioned District Deputy Grand Master for Traill and Griggs Counties in May 1883. He also served as director and treasurer of the school district at Hillsboro, circa 1884, was Hillsboro's city treasurer from circa 1885-1887, and managed the opera house in Hillsboro, circa 1888-1889. He was also the secretary of the Park Committee, circa 1889, served on the Board of Trustees of the University of North Dakota, circa 1889-1891, and was a member of the Hillsboro Fire Department, circa 1889-1891.
A.L. Hanson died July 23, 1938.
Anderson, Beatrice O, Clarence Anderson and Leonard Beal. Yesteryears in Traill: Traill County, North Dakota. Traill County Historical Society, 1976.
Hauge, Robert and Lila Hauge, ed. Buxton Centennial Book: 1880-1980, Buxton, Traill County, North Dakota. Finley, ND: Buxton Centennial Committee, 1980.
Hillsboro, North Dakota: The First Hundred Years. Hillsboro, ND, 1981.
Iowa State University Alumni Association
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Accruals: Additional material was donated by JoAnn Miller, White Earth, Minnesota, on August 24, 1995 (Acc95- 2028) and Louise Spaeth Morris on August 4, 1993 (Acc.93-1916) and in February 2005 (Acc.2005-2752).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Louise S. Morris, Marietta Spaeth Scherer, JoAnn Miller White and Sandra Spaeth Willis
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.91-1785
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). A. L. Hanson Papers. OGLMC 1244, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2015.
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: 1884-Lake City Bank - Lake Shore Oil Co.
- Folder 2: 1884-Langeland, Engebert H. - Lansgaurd, Ole
- Folder 3: 1884-Lanterman, W.A. & Bro.
- Folder 4: 1884-Larsen, Anden - Larson, Anton
- Folder 5: 1884-Larson, Iver - Lay, F.W.
- Folder 6: 1884-Leavitt, W.C. - Letcher & Co.
- Folder 7: 1884-Levisee, L. - Lillibridge, H.F.
- Folder 8: 1884-Lind, T.A. - Lindemann, Herman
- Folder 9: 1884-Lindquist, G.A. - Little, H.M.
- Folder 10: 1884-Lohn, Lewis
- Folder 11: 1884-Lyon, Jas. H. - McGill, A.R.
- Folder 12: 1884-McGohoun, W.W. - McLaughlin & Spencer
- Folder 13: 1884-McMahon, E.J.
- Folder 14: 1884-McSherry, D.E. & Co.
- Folder 15: 1884-Mahler & Thomson - Manning, A.U.
- Folder 16: 1884-Mann, Walter
- Folder 17: 1884-Martin, James M. - Martin, John
- Folder 18: 1884-Martin, W.C. - Mayo & Clark
- Folder 19: 1884-Mayville, Bank of - Maxwell, S.A. & Co.
- Folder 20: 1884-Meeker, M. & Son - Merriott & Saudilauds
- Folder 21: 1884-Michigan National Bank
- Folder 22: 1884-Mille Lacs Lumber Company
- Folder 23: 1884-Miller, A.P. - Miller, Anton
- Folder 24: 1884-Miller, H.F.
- Folder 25: 1884-Miller, O.P. - Mitchell, Bank of
- Folder 26: 1884-Mitchell, Z.T. - Mohun, E.J.M.
- Folder 27: 1884-Moline Plow Company
- Folder 28: 1884-Momson, W.C. - Mork, L.J.
- Folder 29: 1884-Morris, John - Munson, S.B.
- Folder 30: 1884-M, Receipts for
- Folder 31: 1884-Money by Telegram
- Folder 32: 1884-National Bank of Commerce - Nelson, A.E.
- Folder 33: 1884-Nelson, Berut - Nesvold, Ole
- Folder 34: 1884-Newall, O. - Noerby, Antoin
- Folder 35: 1884-Nonotuck Silk Co. - Northern Pacific Railroad Company
- Folder 36: 1884-North British & Mercantile Insurance Co.
- Folder 37: 1884-Northwestern Elevator Company, correspondence
- Folder 38: 1884-Northwestern Elevator Company, telegrams
- Folder 39: 1884-Northwestern Elevator Company, wheat prices
- Folder 40: 1884-North Western Fuel Co. - Northwestern Stamp Works
- Folder 41: 1884-Northwest Land Co. - Nupson, Henry
- Folder 42: 1884-N, Receipts for
- Folder 43: 1884-Odd Fellows Lodge
- Folder 44: 1884-Odegard, J.T.
- Folder 45: 1884-Odegard, O.E. - Olson, William
- Folder 46: 1884-Olsen, Sem & Helge
- Folder 47: 1884-Ordway, N.G. - Ottofy, Louis
- Folder 48: 1884-Orient Insurance Co.
- Folder 49: 1884-Palmer, L.C. - Patterson, Joseph
- Folder 50: 1884-Patterson, W.A.
- Folder 51: 1884-Patteruel, A. - Phelps, L.G. & Co.
- Folder 52: 1884-Phoenix Insurance Co., Hartford, Conn. - Pittsburgh National Bank of Commerce
- Folder 53: 1884-Pitts Agricultural Works, correspondence
- Folder 54: 1884-Pitts Agricultural Works, receipts
- Folder 55: 1884-Plummer, A.L.
- Folder 56: 1884-Plummer, B.A. - Powers, Durkee & Co.
- Folder 57: 1884-Portland, Bank of
- Folder 58: 1884-Pratt, Geo. W. - Punta, Fred
- Folder 59: 1884-Rachac, Mathias - Rauk, Lars K.
- Folder 60: 1884-Raworth, E.M. & Co. - Receiver of U.S. Land Office
- Folder 61: 1884-Red River National Bank
- Folder 62: 1884-Red Star Line - Reg. U.S. Land Office
- Folder 63: 1884-Reid, Geo. W. - Riddell, J.D.
- Folder 64: 1884-Ritchie, W.F. - Rodwinger, Ole
- Folder 65: 1884-Roney, W.H. - Rugg, H.P. & Co.
- Folder 66: 1884-St. Paul Book and Stationary Co. - Samnoen, Nels Oleson
- Folder 67: 1884-St. Paul Harvester Works
- Folder 68: 1884-Sanaker, Martin
- Folder 69: 1884-Sargeant, Asa - Saxton National Bank
- Folder 70: 1884-Scandia Bank of Minneapolis - Schyeldahl, T.O.
- Folder 71: 1884-Scott, H.D.
- Folder 72: 1884-Scott, W.M. & Co. - Second National Bank, Erie, PA
- Folder 73: 1884-Second National Bank, St. Paul, MN
- Folder 74: 1884-Second National Bank, Springfield, OH -Shovey, A.H.
- Folder 75: 1884-Simmons Hardware Co. - Singer Manufacturing Company
- Folder 76: 1884-Skaakkeli, John E.
- Folder 77: 1884-Skeen & Stuart Stationary Co.
- Folder 78: 1884-Skilde, Edward - Soleim, Ole K.
- Folder 79: 1884-Sorley, John A. - Star Oil Co.
- Folder 80: 1884-State Savings Association, St. Louis, MO - Stearns, Frederick &Co.
- Folder 81: 1884-Stein, Louis & Company - Stusnard, Christian Olson
- Folder 82: 1884-Sullivan, T.
- Folder 83: 1884-Sundet, Ole - Swindler, A Bank
- Folder 84: 1884-Taylor, E. & Co. - Thomas, J.H. & Sons
- Folder 85: 1884-Thomas, Ludlow & Rodgers
- Folder 86: 1884-Thompson & Krogh - Thorn, J.W.
- Folder 87: 1884-Thorsen, A.J.
- Folder 88: 1884-Thykeson, Osten - Traill County Bank
- Folder 89: 1884-Treasurer, Clay County, IA - Treasury Dept.
- Folder 90: 1884-Underwood's Bank Reporter - United States Law Association
- Folder 91: 1884-Van Ander, Cyrus - Vraalstad, Edw.
- Folder 92: 1884-Waage, M.J. - Walsh, Ths.
- Folder 93: 1884-Walter A. Wood Mowing & Reaping Machine Co., correspondence
- Folder 94: 1884-Walter A. Wood Mowing & Reaping Machine Co., receipts
- Folder 95: 1884-Walter A. Woods Harvesting Machines - Warren, Bank of
- Folder 96: 1884-Wasmansdorff & Heinemann - Waukon Bank
- Folder 97: 1884-Wengler, T.O. - White Sewing Machine Co.
- Folder 98: 1884-White Star Line
- Folder 99: 1884-Whitfield, Powers & Co. - Willison, James
- Folder 100: 1884-Wilson, David - Winter, F.
- Folder 101: 1884-Wisconsin Marine & Fire Insurance Co. Bank - Woodruff, Joseph
- Folder 102: 1884-Work, Wachsmuth & Co., Clothing - Wright, William B.
- Folder 103: 1884-Yanz & Howes - Zesbaugh Brothers
- Folder 104: 1885-Aamat, Gabriel - Ackermann
- Folder 105: 1885-Adams, Cuyler
- Folder 106: 1885-Alden & Bro. - Anderson, John Peter
- Folder 107: 1885-Ames, F.W.
- Folder 108: 1885-Anderson, John S.
- Folder 109: 1885-Andreas, A.T. - Armstrong, S.J.
- Folder 110: 1885-Arnegaard, Ole - Austin, R.A. & Co.
- Folder 111: 1885-Babbitt, B.T. - Bank of Buffalo
- Folder 112: 1885-Bank of Caledonia - Bank of Zumbrota
- Folder 113: 1885-Banker's Association of Buffalo - Bartlett, A.E.
- Folder 114: 1885-Beardsley, G.G. - Bently, H.
- Folder 115: 1885-Benton and Darling
- Folder 116: 1885-Berg, Gilbert - Bismarck, City Treasurer
- Folder 117: 1885-Black, Arthur - Boomer, H.
- Folder 118: 1885-Black, C.R.
- Folder 119: 1885-Booth, A. & Sons
- Folder 120: 1885-Boss Harrow M'f'g Co. - Bradford Rhodes & Co.
- Folder 121: 1885-Bradley & Vrooman - Bristol & Sweet
- Folder 122: 1885-Brittain, F.M.
- Folder 123: 1885-Brodie, C.L. & Co. - Brown, W.E.
- Folder 124: 1885-Brunswick & Company
- Folder 125: 1885-Buck, Will - Bye, Eliza J.
Browse by Box: