- Record Groups
- Orin G. Libby Manuscript Co...
- A.L. Hanson Papers
- Finding Aid
A.L. Hanson Papers
A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Title: A.L. Hanson Papers, 1878-1937, 1964, 1965, 1993, 2005
Primary Creator: Hanson, A. L. (Albert) (1854-1938)
Extent: 31.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/31/1991. More info below under Accruals.
Subjects: Business and Industry, Hillsboro, North Dakota
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
Albert L. Hanson was born October 28, 1854, in Allamakee County, Iowa. He was one of nine children born to Hans and Maren Hanson, who had immigrated to America from Norway in 1851. Hanson graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, in 1879. Hanson had been involved in private banking since at least 1878. He moved to Hillsboro, Dakota Territory, circa 1881.
In Hillsboro, Hanson went into banking with Amos L. Plummer. Circa 1882, Hanson and Plummer opened up the Hillsboro Bank with Plummer serving as president and Hanson as cashier. Besides general banking duties, they were also involved in making collections and Hanson served as an agent for a number of insurance companies.
In January 1884, Louis G. Phelps sold a Buxton, Dakota Territory, bank to A.L. Hanson and A.L. Plummer. This became a branch bank of the Hillsboro Bank. A.L. Hanson became the manager and Oliver S. Hanson, Albert's younger brother, was named cashier. In September 1884, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson sold the Bank of Buxton to O.S. Hanson and Harry W. Davis. Later on O.S. Hanson bought out Davis.
In 1885, A.L. Plummer and A.L. Hanson obtained a national bank charter under the name of Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer was elected president and Hanson vice-president. In 1887, A.L. Hanson purchased Plummer's shares in the Hillsboro National Bank. Plummer purchased Hanson's interests in the bank in 1890 and became the major stockholder. In 1929, this bank was consolidated with the First National Bank of Hillsboro. All records of the former bank were lost or destroyed. It was also around this time that A.L. Hanson married again, having been widowed earlier.
Circa 1888 A.L. Hanson entered the real estate and tax titles business. In 1889 Hanson advertised "A.L. Hanson, Real Estate, Loans, Tax Titles and Collections." This same year the National Bank of Wahpeton was organized with Daniel Patterson as president and Hanson as vice-president.
A.L. Hanson was a member of the I.O.O.F., or Odd Fellows, having been commissioned District Deputy Grand Master for Traill and Griggs Counties in May 1883. He also served as director and treasurer of the school district at Hillsboro, circa 1884, was Hillsboro's city treasurer from circa 1885-1887, and managed the opera house in Hillsboro, circa 1888-1889. He was also the secretary of the Park Committee, circa 1889, served on the Board of Trustees of the University of North Dakota, circa 1889-1891, and was a member of the Hillsboro Fire Department, circa 1889-1891.
A.L. Hanson died July 23, 1938.
Anderson, Beatrice O, Clarence Anderson and Leonard Beal. Yesteryears in Traill: Traill County, North Dakota. Traill County Historical Society, 1976.
Hauge, Robert and Lila Hauge, ed. Buxton Centennial Book: 1880-1980, Buxton, Traill County, North Dakota. Finley, ND: Buxton Centennial Committee, 1980.
Hillsboro, North Dakota: The First Hundred Years. Hillsboro, ND, 1981.
Iowa State University Alumni Association
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Accruals: Additional material was donated by JoAnn Miller, White Earth, Minnesota, on August 24, 1995 (Acc95- 2028) and Louise Spaeth Morris on August 4, 1993 (Acc.93-1916) and in February 2005 (Acc.2005-2752).
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Louise S. Morris, Marietta Spaeth Scherer, JoAnn Miller White and Sandra Spaeth Willis
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.91-1785
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). A. L. Hanson Papers. OGLMC 1244, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2015.
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: 1878-Treasurer, Allamakee County, IA.
- Folder 2: 1879-Field, Leiter & Co. - Treasurer, Allamakee County, IA.
- Folder 3: 1880-Treasurer, Traill County.
- Folder 4: 1881-Foster, John W. - Holmes, W.F.
- Folder 5: 1881-Olson, Michael - Reed, D.W.
- Folder 6: 1882-Allen Line - Grabill, Isaac E.
- Folder 7: 1882-Harshman Bros. - Northwestern Grain Dealers Association.
- Folder 8: 1882-Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co. - Treasurer, Traill County.
- Folder 9: 1883-Asmundson, Tom - Bale.
- Folder 10: 1883-Belanger, F.
- Folder 11: 1883-Barness, E.D. - Beidler & Robinson.
- Folder 12: 1883-Bjorkman, Hendrik.
- Folder 13: 1883-Boss Harrow Mf'g Co. - Buyeson, T.C.
- Folder 14: 1883-Clausfen, Peter - Crookston, First National Bank.
- Folder 15: 1883-Darling & Co. - Driveness.
- Folder 16: 1883-Ellingrud, L. - Etienne, John.
- Folder 17: 1883-Fair, Andrew - Fuller, E.M.
- Folder 18: 1883-Fuller & Johnson.
- Folder 19: 1883-Garder, Ole - Green & Kindred.
- Folder 20: 1883-Hanson, Ole - Hesgard, K.A.
- Folder 21: 1883-Hobson, H.D. - Johnson, M.
- Folder 22: 1883-Johnson, Hads.
- Folder 23: 1883-Kindred, W.A. - Kingsbury, N.
- Folder 24: 1883-Lanterman, W.A. & Bro. - McLaughlin & Spencer
- Folder 25: 1883-McMaster, E.
- Folder 26: 1883-Martin - Munn, A.H.
- Folder 27: 1883-Nichol, Adam - Northwestern Elevator Co.
- Folder 28: 1883-Northwestern Grain Dealers Association - Nupson, Henry.
- Folder 29: 1883-Odd Fellows Lodge.
- Folder 30: 1883-Odegard, J. - Oswald, J.C. & Co.
- Folder 31: 1883-Patterson, W.A.
- Folder 32: 1883-Pitts Agricultural Works - Plummer, B.A.
- Folder 33: 1883-Plummer, M.A.
- Folder 34: 1883-Rauk, Lewis - Rosaau
- Folder 35: 1883-Scott, W.M. & Co. - Smart, Herbert P.
- Folder 36: 1883-Smith, A.W. - Sullivan, J.
- Folder 37: 1883-Taxes to be paid - Vangsnes
- Folder 38: 1883-Walter A. Wood Mowing & Reaping Machine Co. - Woodruff, Joseph
- Folder 39: 1884-Abbott, L.T. & Co. - Albrecht, Lanpher & Finch
- Folder 40: 1884-Alexander, H.W. - Americus Agar Co.
- Folder 41: 1884-Ames, F.W.
- Folder 42: 1884-Amiesse, Agnes - Anderson, John Peter
- Folder 43: 1884-Anderson, John S.
- Folder 44: 1884-Anderson, M. - Appleton, D. & Co.
- Folder 45: 1884-Arctic Cracker & Spice Co. - Auerbach, Finch & Van Slyck
- Folder 46: 1884-Averill, Russell & Carpenter
- Folder 47: 1884-Bacon, Elias O. - Bakke, Ole
- Folder 48: 1884-Baldwin, H.C. - Bank of Buffalo
- Folder 49: 1884-Bank of Devils Lake - Barnard, F.A.
- Folder 50: 1884-Barnard, Geo. D.
- Folder 51: 1884-Barness, C.O. - Barker, E.D.
- Folder 52: 1884-Batson, John D. - Baumgarten, Wm.
- Folder 53: 1884-Baus, M.D. & Co.
- Folder 54: 1884-Battle Creek Machinery Co. - Beebe, B.
- Folder 55: 1884-Belauger, F. - Bell, W.B.
- Folder 56: 1884-Bell, L.T. - Belt & Butler
- Folder 57: 1884-Benedict, Henry & Co. - Berg, A.
- Folder 58: 1884-Berg, Gilbert O. - Blood, S.G.
- Folder 59: 1884-Boatmen's Saving Bank - Boss Harrow Manufacturing Co.
- Folder 60: 1884-Bowers, G.E. - Boyesen & Phelps
- Folder 61: 1884-Boynton's, G.C. Sons - Brager, Halsten
- Folder 62: 1884-Bradner Smith Paper Co.
- Folder 63: 1884-Brittain, F.M.
- Folder 64: 1884-Broadhead Worsted Mills - Brown Bros. & Preston Co.
- Folder 65: 1884-Brunswick & Company
- Folder 66: 1884-Burdett, Smith & Co. - Butler, Pitkin & Co.
- Folder 67: 1884-Campbell, Lewis & Thorn - Carlton Lumber Company
- Folder 68: 1884-Carson, Samuel - Cincinnati Safe & Lumber Co.
- Folder 69: 1884-Citizen's Bank of Northfield - City Bank, Forest City
- Folder 70: 1884-City Bank, Minneapolis
- Folder 71: 1884-Clayton & Clayton
- Folder 72: 1884-Cleveland Co-Operative Stove Co. - Comptroller of the Currency, Treasury Dept.
- Folder 73: 1884-Continental Insurance Co. of New York
- Folder 74: 1884-Continental National Bank - Counselman, L.W. & Co.
- Folder 75: 1884-Cooperstown, Bank of
- Folder 76: 1884-Crank, Frank - Darling & Co., Fargo
- Folder 77: 1884-Darling, C.W.
- Folder 78: 1884-Darrow, E. & Co. - Deeds and County Clerk, Register of, Benson County
- Folder 79: 1884-de Guinon, H.V.
- Folder 80: 1884-Detroit, Bank of - Dickey, W.T. & Co.
- Folder 81: 1884-Diebold Safe and Lock Co. - Domestic Sewing Machine Co.
- Folder 82: 1884-Donoven, Daniel
- Folder 83: 1884-Douglass, S. - Duluth Lumber Co.
- Folder 84: 1884-Duluth National Bank - Dysart, James
- Folder 85: 1884-Eastman, P.O. - Ekle, A.R. & Co.
- Folder 86: 1884-Ellingrue, Ole - Erickson, John
- Folder 87: 1884-Estey & Camp - Exchange Bank of Wheeling
- Folder 88: 1884-Fair, Andrew - Fargo, Bank of
- Folder 89: 1884-Fargo Republican Co. - Field & Smith Farm
- Folder 90: 1884-Financier - First National Bank of Burlington
- Folder 91: 1884-First National Bank, Canton, DK - First National Bank, Crookston, MN
- Folder 92: 1884-First National Bank, Fargo - First National Bank, Rockford, IA
- Folder 93: 1884-First National Bank of St. Paul
- Folder 94: 1884-First National Bank, Sterling, IL - Flittie, John
- Folder 95: 1884-Fodness, J.E.
- Folder 96: 1884-Ford, Edward - Fourt, Lavinia
- Folder 97: 1884-Fox & Wisdom
- Folder 98: 1884-Francis - Friendberg, A.W.
- Folder 99: 1884-Fuller & Johnson
- Folder 100: 1884-Fuller, E.M. - Fundberg, A.W.
- Folder 101: 1884-F, Receipts for
- Folder 102: 1884-German National Bank - Gibson, M.B.
- Folder 103: 1884-Gilbert, D. - Gjevre, E.
- Folder 104: 1884-Glidden, Griggs & Co.
- Folder 105: 1884-Goose River Bank, Mayville
- Folder 106: 1884-Grabill, J.E. - Grandin Line
- Folder 107: 1884-Green & Kindred, Bank of Lisbon - Gulbro, Lars
- Folder 108: 1884-Hale, C.A. - Hansen, Henry J.
- Folder 109: 1884-Hanson, A.L.
- Folder 110: 1884-Hanson, J.J.
- Folder 111: 1884-Hanson, O.S., Bank of Buxton
- Folder 112: 1884-Hardenbergh, P.R.L. & Co. - Harrison, H.G. & Co.
- Folder 113: 1884-Harrow, E.S. - Haseltine, E.W.
- Folder 114: 1884-Haugen & Lindgren - Hayden, Guardenier & Co.
- Folder 115: 1884-Henderson, J.W. - Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co.
- Folder 116: 1884-Hickox, W.C. & Co.
- Folder 117: 1884-Hicks, Henry, G. - Hodges, A.J. & Co.
- Folder 118: 1884-Hodges & Bowers
- Folder 119: 1884-Hodgson & Young - Houghtaling, D.H. & Co.
- Folder 120: 1884-Hovde, Ole - Howe & Co.
- Folder 121: 1884-Howland & Sons - Hudson, S.S.
- Folder 122: 1884-Hughes, J. - Hyde, J.E.
- Folder 123: 1884-Inbusch, H. & F. - Inman Steam Ship Company
- Folder 124: 1884-Jacobson, G.A. - Jahr, E.T.
- Folder 125: 1884-Jahr, L.T. - Jensen, Jens
- Folder 126: 1884-Jewett, C.G. - Johnson, B.
- Folder 127: 1884-Johnson, Hans - Josh, H.F.
- Folder 128: 1884-Keller, Henry
- Folder 129: 1884-Kellogg, H.S. - Kindred, C.F.
- Folder 130: 1884-Kelly, P.H. Mercantile Co.
- Folder 131: 1884-KIndred, W.A. - Kittelsen, Helge
- Folder 132: 1884-Kneeland, E.S.
- Folder 133: 1884-Knudson, Ann - Kopsing, T.T.
- Folder 134: 1884-Kozminski, Chas. & Co. - Kuhles & Stock
Browse by Box: