Ernest Wenner Papers, 1929-1959, 1991
Primary Creator: Wenner, Ernest V. (1906-1959)
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 02/08/1991. More info below under Accruals.
Ernest Victor Wenner was born September 20, 1906, in Malung Township, Roseau County, Minnesota. Wenner graduated from Roseau High School in 1924. He attended the University of North Dakota, and paid his way through school by working various jobs in Roseau and Grand Forks. While at UND, Wenner pledged and joined Sigma Nu fraternity, and was a member of Sigma Delta Chi, Delta Phi Delta, Blue Key, Iron Mask, and Phi Epsilon. Wenner graduated from UND with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Education on August 8, 1935. He also received his Master's degree in Journalism from the University of Minnesota. In 1935, his article "Publicity for Fraternities" was published in several Greek organizational magazines.
During World War II, he served with the infantry in the South Pacific and at the Corps of Engineers Officer Candidate School in 1942-43. He served in combat as an Army Military Intelligence Officer.
Wenner worked as a professional artist rendering portrait and mural work in California and North Dakota. In September 1947, he came to UND as an assistant professor. In June 1954 he became an associate professor of Engineering and Drafting. Wenner was very active in fraternity affairs during his years at UND, both as a student and professor. During rush, he would donate his artistic skills and never missed alumni functions. He was an active and supportive sports fan, who never missed a hockey or football game. He was a member of UND's Athletic Board of Control.
Ernest Wenner died July 1959 at the age of 53.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Jim Campbell, Minnetonka, Minnesota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.91-1739
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Ernest Wenner Papers. OGLMC 1222, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in April 2015.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Obituary - 1959
- Folder 2: The Dacotah - 1933
- Folder 3: Publication of “Publicity of Fraternities”-1935
- Folder 4: Alumni Review - October 1935
- Folder 5: Class of ?33 Newsletter - June, 1936
- Folder 6: Alumni Review - February, 1936
- Folder 7: North Dakota Artists -1954
- Folder 8: Correspondence - 1990-1991
- Folder 9: Cartoons by Ernest Wenner in the Dakota Student
- Item 1: Alas, Poor Pierrot, I Knew Thee Well!
- Item 2: All Ye Songsters, Go to Carney!
- Item 3: Alums, Traditions, and Paddles
- Item 4: Bribery
- Item 5: "Death Takes a Holiday"
- Item 6: Down the Avenue (headline artwork for a column)
- Item 7: Fashion Prediction for 1934, 1934
- Item 8: From Prexy's Hotbed
- Item 9: The Greeks Had a Name for It! - The Olympics!
- Item 10: Hack-Writin' Rack Writer!
- Item 11: High School Week!
- Item 12: "I Cannot Tell a Lie"
- Item 13: Ink Potpourri
- Item 14: Junior Prom 30 Minute Moonlight Philosophy…
- Item 15: Just Good Neighbors
- Item 16: Let's Go! New Rooters' Association!
- Item 17: Merry Christmas from the Dakota Student, December 19, 1933
- Item 18: N-i-i-ce Bunny!
- Item 19: Scratch Your Head..Stroke Your Beard..So What?
- Item 20: Second Heat
- Item 21: 'Sparky,' the People's Pal
- Item 22: Jack Frost's Homecoming, 1932
- Item 23: What, No Listerine!, 1933
- Item 24: Fashions For 1934, 1934
- Item 25: No Fudgin', Meinhover, 1931
- Item 26: Bachelor's Delirium, 1934
- Item 27: Button, Frosh!, 1929
- Item 28: Springtime Irony, 1932
- Item 29: More Springtime Irony, 1932
- Item 30: Brain Versus Brawn, 1933
- Item 31: Midnight Erl, 1930
- Item 32: Study in Simplicity; North Dakota
- Item 33: Sunshine Comes to Dark Acres
- Item 34: Taking the Count
- Item 35: Track Season Is Here
- Item 36: Vote! It's An Inalienable Right
- Item 37: What! No Listerine?, 1933
- Item 38: Who's Happiest - Son, Mother, or Dad?
Browse by Box: