University YWCA Records, 1917-1962
Primary Creator: University Young Women's Christian Association (1892-1963)
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
The Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) originated in England in 1855, and was begun and financed by women. The goal of the organization was to assist those girls and women who had left the protection of their home for wider fields of activity. The YWCA, a membership organization with a religious purpose, was open to any girl or young woman, providing them with the opportunity for physical, social, mental, and spiritual growth.
A branch of the YWCA had existed on the campus of the University of North Dakota since 1892. Meeting locations for the University YWCA were quite varied, including Davis Hall, Merrifield Hall, homes of members and the E.J. Lander building. While students made up the University branch, they were always advised by a committee of five to nine members, selected from faculty, wives of faculty, alumni and others associated with the larger YWCA. Interest in the University YWCA began to decline in the years following World War II. For this reason, University YWCA was officially disbanded on May 1, 1963.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Transferred from OGLMC 37, Grand Forks YWCA Records, in March 1983 and in 2002.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). University YWCA Records. UA 72, Box #, Item #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in February 2015.
Browse by Box:
[Scrapbook 1: 1938-1952],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Constitution: 1925, 1957
- Folder 2: Annual Reports: 1945, 1955-1960
- Folder 3: Meeting Minutes of the Advisory Committee: 1917-1946
- Folder 4: Meeting Minutes of the Executive Committee: 1959-1962
- Folder 5: Meeting Minutes of the Senior Cabinet: 1924-March 1933
- Folder 6: Meeting Minutes of the Senior Cabinet: March 1933-April 1935
- Folder 7: Meeting Minutes of the Senior Cabinet: November 1935-1947
- Folder 8: General Correspondence: 1957-1963
- Folder 9: Membership Rosters: 1950, 1959-1963
- Folder 10: YWCA Membership Agreement: 1955-1961
- Folder 11: Programs
- Folder 12: Financial Records: 1927-1959
- Folder 13: Financial Records: 1960-1961
- Folder 14: Financial Records: 1962-1963
- Folder 15: Community Chest/United Fund: 1950-1962
- Folder 16: Scrapbook: 1939
- Folder 17: National YWCA Publications: Dialogue on Campus by Nelle Morton and Conscience on Campus by Waldo Beach (1958)
- Scrapbook 1: 1938-1952
- Placed on the shelves adjacent to the collection