Dakota Malting and Brewing Company Records, 1959-1976
Primary Creator: Dakota Malting and Brewing Company
Extent: 1.0 Folders
Date Acquired: 00/00/1977
Subjects: Business and Industry
The Dakota Malting and Brewing Company Records date from 1959-1976, and consist of thirteen individual documents. Included are legal documents, correspondence of the company’s Board of Directors, correspondence from persons involved with the company, and one magazine article. The documents have been arranged in chronological order, with the undated magazine article placed last.
The material in the collection was gathered by R. Scott Stewart in the course of research for his paper “The Dakota Malting and Brewing Company.” The paper was written for Dr. J.F. Vivian’s History 440 Course, Fall 1976.
The Dakota Malting and Brewing Company incorporated in November 1959 to “build, equip, maintain, manage, and operate a brewery and malting plant.” The company was run by eleven directors. The plant was constructed in Bismarck, and began brewing in April 1961.
A problem with the quality of water from the Missouri River caused the company’s first 10,000 barrels of beer to spoil only days after being bottled. A special filter was then installed, and the resultant beer was termed excellent. Sales rose, but not fast enough to off-set the company’s debts. In July 1965, an advertising agency from Missouri was granted a court order halting any sales until it was paid for work it had done four years previous. Fifty thousand cases of beer were seized, and sold for one dollar below market level in September 1965. The Company managed to sell another 2,000 barrels later that month before the brewery terminated production permanently.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: R. Scott Stewart
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.#77-406
Related Materials: “The Dakota Malting and Brewing Company," R. Scott Stewart, History 440, 1976. (OGLMC 263, Box 3, Folder 49)
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item) Dakota Malting and Brewing Company Records. OGLMC 400. Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in November 2012.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1
- Item 1: Legal Document: Articles of Incorporation, November 16, 1959
- Item 2: Legal Document: Statement of Change of Registered Office, August 13, 1960
- Item 3: Legal Document: Statement of Change of Registered Office, November 8, 1963
- Item 4: Legal Document: Annual Report for Domestic Corporation, July 30, 1965
- Item 5: Correspondence: Board of Directors, Dakota Malting and Brewing Company, to Stockholders, undated (probably 1965)
- Item 6: Correspondence: Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, Dakota Malting and Brewing Company to “Gentlemen,” undated (probably 1965; regarding the company’s banking accounts)
- Item 7: Legal Document: Summary of Stock Offerings and Directors, August 1, 1976 (possibly from the North Dakota Office of Attorney General)
- Item 8: Correspondence: Patrick A. Conmy to Stewart, October 8, 1976
- Item 9: Correspondence: Edwin P. Lund to Stewart, October 26, 1976
- Item 10: Correspondence: Cletus J. Schmidt, Clerk, United States District Court, to Stewart, November 9, 1976
- Item 11: Correspondence: Patrick A. Conmy to Stewart, November 23, 1976
- Item 12: Correspondence: Clyde A. Johnson to Stewart, November 29, 1976
- Item 13: Magazine Article: “The Dakota Malting and Brewing Company,” by Marlowe L. Schlegel for an unknown magazine for can collectors