Sigma Delta Chi Records, 1920-1969
Primary Creator: Sigma Delta Chi
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/00/1982. More info below under Accruals.
Sigma Delta Chi, an honorary journalistic society, was founded at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, on April 17, 1909. According to its by-laws, the group sought to "associate journalists of talent, truth, and energy into a more intimately organized unit of good fellowship, and in order to assist the members in acquiring the noblest principles of journalism and to cooperate with them in this field."
The University of North Dakota Chapter was founded on October 23, 1921, expressly for the purpose of joining Sigma Delta Chi. The group, which was first known as Gridiron, was installed by Sigma Delta Chi on April 7, 1922. Early activities of the club included publication of the Dacotah on an annual basis, changing publication of the Student to twice-weekly, special efforts in establishing journalism as a full professional major and the creation of an autonomous Department of Journalism. The group was also responsible for the creation of the Flickertail Follies, a student variety show, which became a spring tradition on campus into the 1960s.
Today Sigma Delta Chi is known as the Society of Professional Journalists.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: University of North Dakota Department of Journalism
Acquisition Method: Donation: Accession 82-1004
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Sigma Delta Chi Records. OGLMC 765, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in March 2015.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence, 1925-1972.
- Folder 2: Constitution, By-Laws, Initiation Code, 1920-1969.
- Folder 3: Annual, Semi-Annual Reports, 1924-1969.
- Folder 4: Membership, 1922-1940.
- Folder 5: Membership, 1930-1971.
- Folder 6: Enrollment, Remittance Forms, 1934-1948.
- Folder 7: Enrollment, Remittance Forms, 1948-1950.
- Folder 8: Enrollment, Remittance Forms, 1950-1959.
- Folder 9: Activities, 1924-1949.
- Folder 10: Financial Materials, 1923-1961.
- Folder 11: Financial Materials-Treasurer's Reports, 1924-1941.
- Folder 12: Convention Material- National, 1965.
- Folder 13: Convention Material- State, 1968-1969.
- Folder 14: Newspaper Clippings, 1947-1948.
- Folder 15: Flicker Flashes, 1930-1931.
- Folder 16: Sigma Delta Chi- Brief History.
- Folder 17: Miscellaneous
- Folder 18: Petition to Sigma Delta Chi from the Gridiron U.N.D.
- Scrapbook 1: Business Activities, 1922-25.
Browse by Box: