P.E.O. Chapter D Records, 1913-1995
Primary Creator: P.E.O. Chapter D (1913-)
Extent: 6.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 07/28/1983. More info below under Accruals.
The P.E.O. Sisterhood was established on January 21, 1869 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan University. The organization was established as philanthropic and educational society for women. Although comprised of only seven members at its founding, P.E.O. now has thousands of chapters and members throughout the United States.
The first Grand Forks Chapter, known as Chapter D, was established on April 7, 1913. Charter members of Chapter D included Ada Bek, Chrissie Budge, Lillian Budge, Mable French, Margaret Gillette, Eva Libby, Carrie Simpson, Leila Sturtevant and Gertrude Sturtevant. The President of Chapter D at its founding was Carrie Simpson.
Chapter D was a very active chapter in North Dakota. It hosted several state conventions, participated in many P.E.O. sponsored activities on both a local, state and national level, and provided several state chapter presidents. It also has been responsible for sponsoring several other P.E.O. chapters in the area. The Chapter has hosted many educational lectures and meetings for both its members and the greater community at large. Chapter D has also raised funds for several P.E.O. fund drives, including the Peace Scholarship Fund and the Educational Fund. In the aftermath of World War I, Chapter D adopted a French war orphan; during World War II, Chapter D and the entire P.E.O. organization was very active in raising funds and boosting morale for the war effort.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Margaret Libby Barr, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; 83-1168
Related Publications: Fifty years of P. E. O. in North Dakota, 1906-1956. Grand Forks: North Dakota State Chapter, 1956.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). P.E.O. Chapter D Records. OGLMC 878, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in November 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Membership Book, 1925-1943
- Folder 2: Membership Book, 1943-1957
- Folder 3: Roll Call Book, 1913-1932
- Folder 4: Roll Call Book, 1913-1932
- Folder 5: Roll Call Book, 1946-1954
- Folder 6: Roll Call Book, 1954-1963
- Folder 7: Treasurer's Record Book, Membership Dues, 1913-1923
- Folder 8: Treasurer's Record Book, Receipts and Disbursements, 1913-1926
- Folder 9: Treasurer's Record Book, Receipts and Disbursements, 1926-1937
- Folder 10: Treasurer's Record Book, Receipts and Disbursements, 1937-1944
- Folder 11: Treasurer's Record Book, Receipts and Disbursements, 1942-1952
- Folder 12: Treasurer's Record Book, Receipts and Disbursements, 1953-1969
- Folder 13: Program, Prominent P.E.O.s by M. Beatrice Johnstone, 1943
- Folder 14: Program, To Seek Wisdom from Books by Carrie Simpson, 1950
- Folder 15: B.I.L. Ritual, undated
- Folder 16: Proceedings from 1940 P.E.O. State Convention
- Folder 17: Delegates Report of 1915 Supreme Convention by Chrissie Budge
- Folder 18: Demit cards, 1913
- Folder 19: Margaret Libby Barr, Chapter D in Retrospect, 1913-1983
Browse by Box: