- Record Groups
Baukol-Noonan Lignite, Inc. Records
Baukol-Noonan Lignite, Inc. Records, 1931-1971
Title: Baukol-Noonan Lignite, Inc. Records, 1931-1971
Primary Creator: Baukol-Noonan Lignite, Inc.
Extent: 10.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 10/02/1980
Subjects: Business and Industry, Energy
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
In 1928, Harris Baukol and Hugo Domrese formed a holding company to purchase coal lands near Noonan, North Dakota. They secured an option on Hought Coal Company land and leased an additional 900 acres. Investigations proved the existence of large coal resources. In 1929, Baukol formed Baukol-Noonan Lignite, Inc. Bucyrus steam shovels, loading shovels, trucks, wagons, and other equipment were brought to the site. By 1933, Baukol-Noonan had become the third largest mining company in the state with a production of almost 200,000 tons. The 1930s also saw the beginning of an environmental program designed to return the land to its natural state.
As the years passed, the company increased production, modernized its equipment and buildings, and expanded into new areas of industry. The company incorporated in 1949, selling all of its capital stock to residents of North Dakota. In 1953, Baukol-Noonan established a plant for processing lightweight building material out of unused clay deposits, thereby providing year- round employment for the miners. In 1962, the mining operation was moved from Noonan to Larson, North Dakota, where extensive reserves of coal had been discovered. The main office remained in Noonan.
Expansion continued as the company opened another new mine at Center, North Dakota in 1970. Lignite mined as this site was shipped to the nearby Milton R. Young station, owned by Minnkota Power Cooperative. All mining at the original Noonan mine ceased in 1986. In 1988, Baukol-Noonan was purchased as a wholly owned subsidiary of Minnesota Power. The company's name was changed to BNI Coal, Ltd., and its headquarters were moved to Bismarck. BNI reached a major milestone in 2000, when the 100 millionth ton of coal was taken from the Center mine.
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Robert W. Rovelstad, President of Baukol-Noonan, Minot, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc. #80-688
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item) Baukol-Noonan Lignite Inc, Records. OGLMC 584, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in October 2013.
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
[Ledger 1: Sales Record Ledger, May 1933-April 1941],
[Ledger 2: Sales Record Ledger, 1930-1947],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Spudding in Ceremony, April 23, 1953 - June 3, 1953.
- Folder 2: Spudding in Ceremony, April 23, 1953 - June 3, 1953.
- Folder 3: Letterhead.
- Folder 4: Equipment
- Folder 5: Price Lists
- Folder 6: Blueprints
- Folder 7: Contracts, 1965-1971
- Folder 8: Contracts, 1956-1964
- Folder 9: Mining Licenses, 1931-1948
- Folder 10: Coal Mine License Applications, 1960-1971
- Folder 11: Explosive License, 1943-1945
- Folder 12: Bowbells Development, Oct. 23, 1951 to Feb. 7, 1952
- Folder 13: Bituminous Coal and Lignite Production and Mine Operations, 1952-1968
- Folder 14: Coal Reserves, November 8, 1948 to February 2, 1952
- Folder 15: Application for Gas Tax Refund, 1956-1960.
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Department of Interior - Gerde Land Lease, December 20, 1944 to March 31, 1956
- Folder 2: State Mine Inspector's Report, 1932-1957
- Folder 3: Cash Book Sheets, May 1, 1933 to April 30, 1936
- Folder 4: Comparative Statements
- Folder 5: Statements, 1961-1962.
- Folder 6: Work Sheets, 1961-1962.
- Folder 7: Federal Unemployment and Withholdings, 1961.
- Folder 8: Income Tax Information, 1950-1959.
- Folder 9: Withheld Taxes, 1954-1955, 1959-1961
- Folder 10: Social Security Returns, 1957-1960
- Folder 11: Wage Stabilization, March 5, 1950 to November 19, 1952
- Folder 12: Injury Report, 1960.
- Folder 13: North Dakota Workmen's Compensation Bureau, 1950-1960
- Folder 14: Certificate of Merit, 1950-1951, 1952-1953.
- Folder 15: Unemployment Compensation Reports, 1958-1960
- Folder 16: Internal Revenue Reports, May 25, 1934 to March 24, 1949.
- Folder 17: Sales Tax Returns and Permits, 1948-1961
- Folder 18: Hartford Payroll Audits, 1934-1940
- Folder 19: Broker and Hendrickson-Auditors, April 19, 1950 to September 18, 1957
- Folder 20: Summary of Asset Distribution of Baukol-Noonan Inc. and Noonan Holding Company, April 10 1950
- Folder 21: Accounts Receivable Receipts, (undated)
- Folder 22: Excise Tax Reports, 1957-1961.
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Omaha National Bank, March 8, 1950 to October 23, 1953
- Folder 2: First National Bank, March 1, 1950 to June 23, 1971
- Folder 3: Bucyrus-Erie Company, September 22, 1933 to October 30, 1952.
- Folder 4: Crowe Coal Company-Shovel 225B, July 30, 1930
- Folder 5: Holland and Urist, March 1, 1950 to April 20, 1950.
- Folder 6: Koppel Industrial Car and Equipment Company, April 26, 1932 to July 19, 1932, April 11-19, 1935
- Folder 7: Standard Oil Company, 1931-1942
- Folder 8: Dictaphone Time-Master, 1950
- Folder 9: "Mechanization" engineering magazine, 1950-1951.
- Folder 10: Cavalier County, Republican, April 17, 1956 to March 1, 1963
- Folder 11: Divide County, 1939-1950
- Folder 12: McKenzie County, August 20, 1951 to July 17, 1936 (coal prospecting)
- Box 4
- Folder 1: President's Report to the Board of Directors, April 15, 1952
- Folder 2: Annual Report to the Stockholders, 1950-1960
- Folder 3: Annual Report for Domestic Corporation, 1959-1969.
- Folder 4: Directors, October 17, 1950 to May 5, 1971
- Folder 5: Valuations of Baukol-Noonan Inc. Property at time of organization of new company, 1950
- Folder 6: Miscellaneous Papers in connection with loan for move to Larson, 1962-1963.
- Folder 7: Harris Baukol, 1947-1949.
- Folder 8: R. W. Rovelstad, 1950-1962
- Folder 9: A. J. Rowland, July 2, 1936 to April 19, 1967.
- Folder 10: Application Certificate of North Dakota Natural Gas Transmission Company (undated)
- Folder 11: Midwest Gas Association Meeting, April 9, 1962.
- Folder 12: Lignite Advisory Committee Meeting, 1961-1962
- Folder 13: Selected Bibliography of Foreign Activities in Brown Coal and Lignite Research, 1950- 1960.
- Folder 14: Advertising.
- Folder 15: Advertising Summary
- Folder 16: Newspaper Clippings
- Folder 17: Reports and Articles.
- Folder 18: Miscellaneous, 1949-1980
- Box 5
- Folder 1: Minnesota Business Corporation Act
- Folder 2: The Company Owner's Owner Profit Sharing Guidebook
- Folder 3: An Adaptive Program for Agriculture, July 1962
- Folder 4: Special Report to the North Dakota Economic Development Commission, Marc 12, 1962.
- Folder 5: A proposed Long Range Power Supply Plan for Midwest Consumers Association, July 11, 1960
- Folder 6: Upper Midwest Agriculture: Structure and Problems, January 1962
- Folder 7: American Crystal Company.
- Folder 8: Static Control.
- Folder 9: Federal Information
- Folder 10: Memorabilia.
- Folder 11: Baukol-Noonan Lignite Incorporated Capital Stock Used
- Folder 12: Baukol-Noonan Lignite Incorporated Capital Stock Used
- Folder 13: Baukol-Noonan Lignite Incorporated Capital Stock Unused
- Folder 14: Noonan Holding Company Stock Used.
- Folder 15: Noonan Holding Company Stock Used.
- Folder 16: Noonan Holding Company Stock Unused.
- Ledger 1: Sales Record Ledger, May 1933-April 1941
- Ledger 2: Sales Record Ledger, 1930-1947
- Photographs :
- Photograph 1: Harris Baukol
- Photograph 2: Welders, 1969: S. Wells, D. Brorby, M. Evenson
- Photograph 3: Drag Line Crew, 1969
- Photograph 4: Employees at Shop, 1969: Ferol Brenno, Archie Bourdeau, Syvert Wells, George Caussyn, Alvin Dihle (Foreman), Herg Alg, Ralph Johnson, Duane Dihle, Oral Ronholdt, Marlyn Evenson
- Photograph 5: Workers, Larson mine, 1969: Elma Dausurk, Art Myers, Norval Gochanour, Clarence Baker, George Caussyn, Joel Tveter, Oral Brenno, Kam Brenno, Ferol Brenno, Gearl Fenster, Norris Anderson, Alvin Dihle, Oral Ronholdt, Ralph Johnson, Syvert Wells, Herb Alg, Wes Julson, Leonard Haarstad, Eugene Weber, Lyle Hueve, Marlyn Evenson, George Dahlke, Archie Bourdeau, Duane Dihle
- Photograph 6: Drag Line Men, 1969: Elmer Gausvick, Lloyd Sorlie, Norris Anderson, Earl Logelain, Perry Baker, Norval Gochanour, Gearl Fenster, Hurley Barden, Lyle Huwe
- Photograph 7: Truck Drivers: N. Anderson, E. Weber, A. Bourdeau, Cam Brenno
- Photograph 8: Loading Truck: A. Myers, L. Haarstad
- Photograph 9: Elmer Dausuuk, Art Myers, Norval Gochanour, Clarence Baker, George Caussyn, Joel Tveter, Oral Brenno, Kam Brenno, Ferol Brenno, Gearl Fenster, Norris Anderson, Alvin Dihle, Oral Ronholdt, Ralph Johnson, Syvert Wells, Herb Alg, Wells Julson, Leonard Haarstad, Eugene Weber, Lyle Hueve, Marlyn Evenson, George Dahkle, Archie Bourdeau, Duane Dihle
- Photograph 10: Morning Lining Up
- Photograph 11: Shop Workers, 1969: Dale Borby, Marlyn Evenson, Duane Dihle, Archie Bourdeau, Ralph Johnson, Oral Ronholdt, Fred Dissell, Syvert Wells
- Photograph 12: Loading Crew, 2 March 1936
- Photograph 13: Bucyrus Erie Crane 50-B and Crew
- Photograph 14: Unidentified site (probably Larson): 963
- Photograph 15: Start of Construction at Larson Mine, 1962
- Photograph 16: Unidentified site
- Photograph 17: Unidentified site
- Photograph 18: Noonan Tipple Site
- Photograph 19: Baukol-Noonan Mining District, circa 1950
- Photograph 20: Stripping Top Portion of Over Burden with Crawler Tractor. Dragline Will Follow
- Photograph 21: Early Results of Long Range Program of Tree Planting and Restoration of Soil Bank
- Photograph 22: Office, late 1960s
- Photograph 23: The Most Modern Tipple in North Dakota: circa 1955
- Photograph 24: Noonan Tipple Site
- Photograph 25: Baukol-Noonan Railroad Cars
- Photograph 26: Noonan Office Was a Bank: 1915
- Photograph 27: Baukol-Noonan Railroad Cars
- Photograph 28: Les Monson, Ed Sandberg: 1946
- Photograph 29: Six Stall Garage for Trucks
- Photograph 30: Drag Line Stripping, Rolie Pit: 1969
- Photograph 31: Tipple, Larson Site, Drying Plant: 1969
- Photograph 32: George Dahla, H. Focke (Truck Sales, Larson Site): 1969
- Photograph 33: Stripping: 1969
- Photograph 34: Unidentified site
- Photograph 35: Dragline
- Photograph 36: Unidentified site
- Photograph 37: Steam Shovel: May 1971
- Photograph 38: Unidentified site
- Photograph 39: Portable Handy Belt Loaders: 1931
- Photograph 40: Twenty Ton Euclid Truck
- Photograph 41: Unidentified site
- Photograph 42: C. Baker, Lyle Huwe with Drag Line Utility Tractor
- Photograph 43: Unidentified site
- Photograph 44: O. Weber with Drag Line Bucket
- Photograph 45: Unidentified site
- Photograph 46: Bucyrus Erie Crane 50-B
- Photograph 47: Steam Shovel
- Photograph 48: Loading Coal: 1937
- Photograph 49: Noonan Site
- Photograph 50: Steam Shovel
- Photograph 51: Steam Shovel
- Photograph 52: Bucyrus Erie Crane 50
- Photograph 53: Main Street, Noonan, North Dakota
- Photograph 54: Noonlite Aggregate Plant
- Photograph 55: Loading Shovel and Truck
- Photograph 56: Electric Drag Line
- Photograph 57: Bucyrus Erie Crane 50 Loading Railroad Cars
- Photograph 58: Tipple and Trucks Unloading
- Photograph 59: Unidentified group photograph
- Photograph 60: L.L. Munson, Superintendent of Operations
- Photograph 61: C. Cothrein, Assistant Superintendent of Operations
- Photograph 62: Unidentified group photograph outside of company offices
- Photograph 63: Unidentified group photograph outside of company offices
- Photograph 64: Unidentified group photograph
- Photograph 65: Unidentified group photograph
Browse by Box:
[Ledger 1: Sales Record Ledger, May 1933-April 1941],
[Ledger 2: Sales Record Ledger, 1930-1947],