- Record Groups
William A. Scouton Papers, 1884-1956
Title: William A. Scouton Papers, 1884-1956
Primary Creator: Scouton, William A. (1861-1936)
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Subjects: Business and Industry, Inkster, North Dakota
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The William A. Scouton Papers date from 1884 to 1956 and contain materials regarding Scouton's businesses. This includes account books, correspondence, bills and receipts.
The collection also contains information related to Inkster, North Dakota, including baseball score books, a journal for the Northern Evangelical Ladies Aid, programs of the Inkster City Band, the first issue of The Inkster Enterprise from 1886, an undated promotional pamphlet, and miscellaneous information.
Collection Historical Note
William A. Scouton was born on May 20, 1861, and raised in New York. He moved to Missouri in 1877. In the spring of 1884, Scouton moved to Inkster, North Dakota, where sometime later he purchased a 400-acre farm. On February 4, 1891, Scouton married Nancy Mahon. Both Scoutons participated in Inkster organizations. She was a member of the Ladies Aid Society at the Methodist Episcopal Church, while he pitched for Inkster's baseball team and later acted as its secretary.
After a few years in Inkster, Scouton turned from farming to business; his first business involved selling farm machinery. His second, "W.A. Scouton Broker, Loans, and Collections," dealt with the purchase and sale of farms in the Red River Valley. "Reiton and Scouton" was his third business and it sold furniture, carpets, and undertaking goods. In connection with this business, Scouton acted as Inkster's funeral director. In addition to his farming and business interests, at times Scouton served as a deputy sheriff and as Inkster's postmaster.
William A. Scouton died on August 22, 1936.
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; the original acquisition records are unavailable
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). William A. Scouton Papers. OGLMC 5, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid input to Archon in July 2014.
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
[Oversize Folder 1],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Business correspondence, bills and receipts, 1894-1908
- Folder 2: Business correspondence, bills and receipts, 1896-1920
- Folder 3: Blue print of railroads and grain elevators in Inkster
- Folder 4: Inkster Baseball Score Book, 1908-1915, 1931
- Folder 5: Inkster Baseball Score Book, 1915-1916
- Folder 6: Account book, 1893-1899
- Folder 7: Account books, 1896-1905
- Folder 8: Northern Evangelical Ladies Aid Ledger, Inkster, North Dakota, 1887-1912
- Includes meeting minutes and membership information
- Folder 9: Miscellaneous
- Item 1: Inkster City Band Concert Program, 19 April 1911
- Item 2: Inkster City Band Concert Program, 19 April 1911
- Item 3: When the Bottom Will Fall Out of the Land Business. Great Western Printing Co., Minneapolis, undated
- Promotional pamphlet regarding Inkster, with photographs and text
- Item 4: Correspondence from Edward Inkster (Oakland, California) to Omer Scouton (Inkster, North Dakota), 19 June 1956
- Item 5: Menu from The Palace of Sweets Caterer-Restaurateurs, 28 October 1917
- Location of restaurant is unknown
- Item 6: Obituary for Dr. Fred G. Lundy of Inkster
- Photographs :
- Separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets.
- Oversize Folder 1
Browse by Box:
[Oversize Folder 1],