N. H. Whitcomb Papers, 1919-1945
Primary Creator: Whitcomb, N.H. (Noyes Hartly) (1875-1948)
Extent: 1.25 Linear Feet
Noyes Hartly Whitcomb was born on October 2, 1875 to John and Irene Howe Whitcomb in Monticello, Minnesota. "Whitecomb" was the original spelling, but following the previous generations' move from England, it was changed.
Whitcomb's application for his homestead was dated and signed by Theodore Roosevelt on October 19, 1908. He then moved to North Dakota. He first lived in a shack and later built a stone house of native rock. Later, a pole barn was built. He was married and they had one daughter, Muriel. After losing his wife, Whitcomb rented his farm and moved into Flasher, North Dakota.
He served as postmaster for twelve years and then entered a partnership in a service station. He served on the school board and was involved in other community activities. In 1925, Whitcomb married Marie Ketterling of Logan County, south of Streeter, North Dakota, daughter of Christoph and Barbara Perman Ketterling. They had three sons, John, Curtis, and Dale.
Whitcomb died in June 1948.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.78-511
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). N. H. Whitcomb Papers. OGLMC 484, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in July 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence, Whitcomb and Darger: 1919-1921
- Folder 2: Invoices and Receipts, Whitcomb and Darger: 1919-1921
- Folder 3: Monthly balances, Whitcomb and Darger: 1919-1920
- Folder 4: List of patrons for Whitcomb and Darger
- Folder 5: Cash Ledger, Whitcomb and Darger: 1919-1920
- Folder 6: Credit Ledger, Whitcomb and Darger: 1933-1945
- Folder 7: Account Books, Whitcomb and Darger: 1919-1921
- Folder 8: Account Books, Whitcomb and Darger: 1933-1934
- Folder 9: Account Books, Whitcomb and Darger: 1935-1939
- Folder 10: Account Books, Whitcomb and Darger: 1940-1945
- Folder 11: Loan Agreement. N.H. Whitcomb: 1937
- Folder 12: Miscellaneous, Whitcomb and Darger
- Folder 13: Annual Report of Flasher Equity Exchange: 1938