Pasta Collection, 1991-2000
Extent: 1.5 Linear Feet
Subjects: Business and Industry
Durum wheat has been a staple of North Dakota agriculture. In 2004, North Dakota produced about 70% of the US durum crop. Pasta is an important product main from durum wheat. A bushel of durum wheat can make about 42 pounds of pasta. In 1997, 74% of Americans reported having between 1 and 5 packages of pasta in their kitchen at any given time. Pasta is now becoming a part of the North Dakota economy, with companies like Dakota Growers Pasta Company in Carrington, North Dakota, starting to produce pasta as well as the durum wheat.
Frank D'Andraia, a past Director of Libraries at UND, was greatly interested in the role of pasta in North Dakota. He began to collect a small collection of pasta literature for the Chester Fritz Library. D'Andraia was also active in promoting pasta in the community, and was a member of the steering committee of the Grand Pasta Party on the Prairie.
Due to the importance of pasta in North Dakota, Grand Forks hosted a Grand Pasta Party on the Prairie for several years. The first one was hosted in the summer of 1997. This was an event dedicated to celebrating pasta. The event included a pasta cook-off, demonstrations from pasta chefs, live music, local exhibits and vendors and a multitude of other events. The Grand Pasta Party was cancelled in 1999 due to lack of sponsorship and has never been rescheduled.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Frank D'Andraia, Chester Fritz Library, Director of Libraries
Acquisition Method: Donation; June 1, 1998 (Acc.98-2198) and (Acc.99-2259)
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Pasta Collection. OGLMC 1364, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in July 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence, 1992-1997
- Folder 2: Grand Pasta Party Steering Committee Materials, 1997
- Folder 3: Grand Pasta Party Advertisements and Press Releases, 1997
- Folder 4: Nodak Neighbor Article on 1997 Grand Pasta Party, October 1997
- Folder 5: Grand Pasta Party Steering Committee Materials, 1998
- Folder 6: Grand Pasta Party Advertisements and Press Releases, 1998
- Folder 7: Grand Pasta Party Steering Committee Materials, 1999
- Folder 8: Winning Pasta Recipes, North Dakota Wheat Commission, 1991-1996
- Folder 9: North Dakota Mill 75th Anniversary, 1997
- Folder 10: E'Tempo di Ricette (Italian book)
- Folder 11: Light & Healthy Pasta Recipes
- Folder 12: Pasta Journal, 1994
- Folder 13: Pasta Journal, 1995
- Folder 14: Pasta Journal, 1996
- Folder 15: Pasta Journal, 1997
Browse by Box: