Margaret Skinner Papers, 1937-1982
Primary Creator: Skinner, Margaret (1919-)
Extent: 1.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 06/06/2008
The Margaret Skinner Papers, 1937-1982, consist mainly of scrapbooks from a former University of North Dakota student.
The first scrapbook, red in color, contains various programs, advertisements, pictures and newspaper clippings for events such as the Artist Series, the Carney Song Contest, the Flickertail Follies, her involvement in the Women’s Athletic Association, the visit by Crown Prince Olav and Princess Martha of Norway in June, 1939, the Girl Reserves, the Winter Carnival, “High School Week”, and the Delta Zeta sorority. Loose items inside the scrapbook include assorted newspaper articles, Metropolitan Theatre programs, and a program from a senior recital at which she ushered.
The second scrapbook is a smaller blue one. This book mainly contains items from Skinner’s middle years at the University of North Dakota. Included are many newspaper articles and photographs documenting different activities and events at the Delta Zeta sorority including Norwegian Crown Prince Olav’s visit. Some loose materials in this book are clippings about friend’s weddings, invitations to dances, and articles related to World War II.
The last scrapbook has no cover. This scrapbook contains things from Skinner's senior year and later. Included are graduation letters and cards, as well as programs, advertisements, and articles about the Women’s Athletic Association end of the year banquet, the Artist Series, Delta Zeta sorority, and a band performance. Also included are numerous wedding invitations and articles. The photograph album does not contain many photographs. Included are pictures of people dressed for a performance of Adam and Eve. There are also pictures of Skinner growing up with friends from Grafton, family pictures, and pictures of her playing with her siblings. Loose items in this album are a program for the Girls Service Christmas ceremonial and a list of songs and lyrics for the ceremonial.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Margaret Skinner, Bemidji, Minnesota
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2008-2934
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Margaret Skinner Papers. OGLMC 1534, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in June 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Loose items from the large red scrapbook (1937-1941)
- Folder 2: Small blue scrapbook (1940-1942)
- Folder 3: Loose items from the small blue scrapbook (1940-1942)
- Folder 4: Photo Album (1941)
- Folder 5: Loose items from the photo album (1941)
- Folder 6: Loose Photographs
- Photograph 1
- Crown Prince Olaf of Norway in the Delta Zeta Sorority House (probably 1939, though photograph is labeled as from 1941) L to R: Beth Larson, Marie Twedt, Virginia Benedict, Gayle Mullis, Kay Lawrence, Margaret Richardson, Crown Prince Olaf, Princess Martha, Elaine Kjerstad, Grace Alphson
- Photograph 2
- Delta Zeta girls (1940 or 1941) Front row, L to R: all unidentified Middle row, L to R: Anna Peterson (?), unidentified, Virginia Benedict, unidentified, unidentified, Marie Twedt, unidentified, Elynor Chalmers, Grace Alphson Back row, L to R: unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Beth Larson, Margaret Richardson, Marietta Babcock
- Photograph 3
- Delta Zeta dance (undated) Third from left, back row - Margaret Richardson Fourth from left, back row - Richard Skinner
- Photograph 4
- Delta Zeta dance (1943) Ninth from left, back row - Richard Skinner Tenth from left, back row - Margaret Richardson
- Photograph 5
- Wedding Picture (undated): possibly Margaret Richardson and Richard Skinner
- Photograph 6
- Alumni Days 1982 (Class of 1942 with spouses) On couch, L to R: Beverly (Schnecker) Severson, LeNore (Ulvedal) Caldis, Lois (Nystrom) Engler, Margaret A. (Richardson) Skinner, Beverly (Heen) Bjella Standing, L to R: Gordon Caldis, Lila Fay Shultz, Frederick Schultz, Clifford D. Olesen, Bill Charlesworth, Kendall C. Fox, Robert Teague, Sigvald Aase, Ordean G. Ness