National Abortion Rights Action League Records, 1981-1994
Primary Creator: National Abortion Rights Action League (1969-)
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 06/19/1995
The NARAL records are arranged alphabetically by folder title, then chronologically. Most materials date from the early 1990's. A significant amount concerns the political sphere, with files on individual North Dakota congressmen, elections and conventions, election questionnaires, endorsement/support questionnaires and voter's guides.
The collection also contains information on the North Dakota chapter, its members, meeting information, and minutes from 1990-1994. Included are pamphlets, correspondence, newspaper clippings, Planned Parenthood Newsletters (1989-1992), Reproductive Rights Publications (1989-1992), and Washington Memo Newsletters (1992-1994).
The National Abortion Rights Action League, a non-partisan grass-roots political organization was founded in 1969. It educates Americans, helps elect pro-choice candidates, and works for policies that enable women and men to make responsible decisions about sexuality, contraception, pregnancy, childbirth, and abortion.
The North Dakota Chapter of NARAL began in Fargo in the early 1980's, when it formed a board and began having regular meetings. However, due to diminishing funds, the chapter soon decided to elect a president instead of a paid director. Lynn Gifford served as its first president. During her term, Fargo Women's Health was embroiled in controversy. Anti-abortionists chained themselves to radiators, lay down in the clinic driveway, and noisily disrupted the clinic's work. So much of the chapter’s regular monthly meetings were taken up with the clinic's legal battles and legislation, that it was unable to complete the original paperwork needed for the National organization.
The National Abortion Rights Action League continued to extend the deadlines, but in the early 1990's, finally asked the North Dakota Chapter to disaffiliate. Activists in North Dakota were few, and it was too difficult to maintain the organization with little support. After disbandment, the Chapter's treasury was given to the Women's Network of the Red River Valley, the YWCA Shelter, and to the Rape and Abuse Crisis Center.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Gini Duval, Fargo, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.95-2022
Thirteen photographs have been separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets. They depict views from outside of the Fargo Women's Health Organization Clinic.
The 1991 and 1992 editions of: Who Decides? A State-by State Review of Abortion Rights, published by the NARAL Foundation have been separated and cataloged for in the Special Collections Stacks.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). National Abortion Rights Action League Records. OGLMC 1308, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in April 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Planned Parenthood
- Folder 2: Planned Parenthood Newsletters (1989-1993)
- Folder 3: Pledge/Volunteer Information
- Folder 4: Political Committee (1990-1992)
- Folder 5: Posted Activists
- Folder 6: Presidential Candidates Positions (1992)
- Folder 7: Press Coverage
- Folder 8: Public Affairs Division
- Folder 9: Questionnaires (blank)
- Folder 10: Rally Day (1990)
- Folder 11: Reading List
- Folder 12: Religious Coalition
- Folder 13: Reproduction Choice
- Folder 14: Reproductive Freedom News (1992-1993)
- Folder 15: Reproductive Rights Manual (1990)
- Folder 16: Resolutions Committee (1992)
- Folder 17: The Righteous Rhetoric of the Anti-Abortion Movement: Nostalgia for Lost Hegemony; Hansel, Mark
- Folder 18: RU-486
- Folder 19: Rutgers (1989)
- Folder 20: Senate Bills (1991)
- Folder 21: Sinner, George
- Folder 22: Song Sheet
- Folder 23: Spaeth, Nick
- Folder 24: Staff
- Folder 25: Standards for Affiliation
- Folder 26: State-by-State Review (1991)
- Folder 27: State Directors Report (1989-1990)
- Folder 28: State Legislative Program Plan (1990)
- Folder 29: Students
- Folder 30: Supreme Court
- Folder 31: Voters Guides (1990)
- Folder 32: Voter Identification (1991)
- Folder 33: Washington Memo Newsletter (1992-1993)
- Folder 34: Wentz, Janet
- Folder 35: Winning with Choice
- Folder 36: Women of Color Retreat (1990-1993)
- Folder 37: Women's Literature
- Folder 38: Women's Political Caucus-ND (1989-1992)
- Folder 39: Women's Where: Clothes for a Cause (1993)
Browse by Box: