Toby Baker Papers, 1992-1999
Primary Creator: Baker, Toby
Extent: 15.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 06/00/1999
The Toby Baker Papers date from 1992-1999 and consist of clothing, photographs, calendars, schedules, memorandum, invitations, thank yous, guest lists, speeches, gifts, and other materials relating to Baker's time as the University of North Dakota's First Lady. A total of twenty-two audio cassette tapes were separated and placed in the Audiotape Collection. The tapes consist of recordings of Baker's popular radio show, Toby Talk.
Regarding the photographs in Box 9:
At least one photograph from each folder was photocopied and placed into a three-ring binder entitled "Presidents-Baker." The binder has been placed on the shelves with the other binders for the University Archives Photograph Collection. Researchers will need to look in the folders to find the remaining photographs which were not copied.
Toby Baker was the First Lady of the University of North Dakota from 1992-1999. A native of Laramie, Wyoming, she graduated from the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism in 1976. She also earned a Master of Arts degree in creative writing from UND in 1998. Her thesis was entitled "Prairie Meadows: A Play in Three Acts; Based on the Play Our Town, by Thornton Wilder."
During her time as First Lady, Baker was active in a number of campus and local organizations, including the UND International Cultural Centre, the UND Era Bell Thompson Cultural Center, and the Grand Forks County Historical Society. She also hosted a popular radio talk show entitled "Toby Talk," on KCNN, AM1590 in Grand Forks. At a regional and national level, she was involved with the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation, as well as the Council of Spouses for the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.
Toby Baker left UND in 1999, when her husband, Dr. Kendall Baker, accepted the presidency at Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio. She earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in studio art from ONU in 2006, and currently works as an artist focusing on sculpture and painting.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Toby Baker, UND First Lady
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.99-2369
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Toby Baker Papers. OGLMC 1398, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in February 2014.
Browse by Box:
[Separated Materials 1: Gifts],
[Separated Materials 2: Audiotapes],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: 1992 Meet Ken and Toby Baker Parties
- Folder 2: First Lady
- Folder 3: Inauguration October 1992
- Folder 4: History of UND's First Ladies
- Folder 5: National Association of Universities and land colleges
- Folder 6: Alumni Days 1992-1998
- Folder 7: International Center Board Information 1993
- Folder 8: Leadership Notes 1993
- Folder 9: Careers in Communications 1993
- Folder 10: Seize the Day - Rushee 'Leadership' Talk
- Folder 11: "Free Lance" Lecture 1993
- Folder 12: Life with a Workaholic Notes 1993
- Folder 13: UND Honorary Coach 1995
- Folder 14: Sioux Pride Task Force 1993
- Folder 15: Off-the-beaten Path Tour 1993-1994
- Folder 16: New Faculty Tour 1993-1994
- Folder 17: New Faculty Tour 1997
- Folder 18: UND Art Museum Gala Benefit Dinner 1993/1996
- Folder 19: Home Coming Schedule 1993-1997
- Folder 22: 1995 New Faculty tour-ND Tourist Information
- Folder 23: 100 Years of Football 1994
- Folder 24: Notes for "Living in a Fish bowl" speech 1994
- Folder 25: Tips on Mingling - Summer Counselor Message 1995
- Folder 26: "P.R. of Being a R.A." 1995
- Folder 27: Overview to ambassadors to the President
- Folder 28: Alumni Reunions 1996
- Folder 29: Third Grade Tour 1996
- Folder 30: Thank Yous from Lake Agassiz Elementary School Kids
- Folder 31: Marketing Yourself 1996
- Folder 32: Shakespeare in our Backyard 1996
- Folder 33: Naturalization Ceremony 1997
- Folder 34: Flood Notes 1997
- Folder 35: Flood Journal
- Folder 36: Date Book 1997
- Folder 37: Norway 1997
- Folder 38: SIOUX Booster M.C. Notes 1997
- Folder 39: Camp Depression
- Folder 40: Memorial Stadium Early Home to UND Athletes
- Folder 41: Catering Requests 1993-1994
- Folder 42: Catering Requests 1995-1996
- Folder 43: Catering Requests 1996-1997
- Folder 44: Catering Requests 1997-1998
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Date Book 1998
- Folder 2: Hultberg Lecture 1998
- Folder 3: Round Table Tea with the Dames 1998
- Folder 4: Health, Wealth, and Self 1998
- Folder 5: The House the UND's Community Built 1998
- Folder 6: 1999 Division II Women's Basketball Championship
- Folder 7: Transition Notes to Adele Kupchella 1999
- Folder 8: 1932/1934 Commencement Programs
- Folder 9: Fabric from the President's Coach
- Folder 10: Ken and Toby's Name Pins
- Folder 11: Miscellaneous
- Box 3
- Box 4
- Item 1: Clothing: "A rotten place to visit, but I sure want to live there. Red River Valley Flood, 1997."
- Item 2: Clothing: "Grand Forks Herald"
- Item 3: Clothing: "No Food, Water, Power No Problem. Red River Valley Flood of the Century. 1590 KCNN News talk radio."
- Item 4: Clothing: "Come Hell and High Water"
- Item 5: Clothing: "Grand Forks I survived the Great Come Hell and High Water Flood 1997 East Grand Forks."
- Item 6: Clothing: "Mucked out, Stripped down, power washed, and sanitized. Red River Valley Flood worker 1997."
- Item 7: Clothing: "1995 UND Student Ambassador"
- Item 8: Clothing: "UND New student Orientation '96"
- Item 9: Clothing: "UND Student Government"
- Box 5
- Item 1: Clothing: "A miracle in progress "Celebration of thanks" Grand Forks, ND "
- Item 2: Clothing: "The use of history UND 29th Annual Writers Conference March 24-27, 1998"
- Item 3: Clothing: "H.O.T. Staff 1997"
- Item 4: Clothing: "Come hell or high hog. Texas Lil's world's largest smoker smoken' up a Texas size BBQ for Greater Grand Forks."
- Item 5: Clothing: "I survived the North Dakota Blizzards and Flood 1996-1997"
- Item 6: Clothing: "Dakota Student Governing UND for more than 110 years"
- Item 7: Clothing: "UND Proud"
- Item 8: Clothing: "UND Proud"
- Item 9: Clothing: "University of North Dakota Top 10"
- Item 10: Clothing: "1999 Greek Week"
- Item 11: Clothing: "New student orientation Start exploring your future!"
- Item 12: Clothing: "First night greater Grand Forks Glacier Beach December 31, 1997"
- Box 6
- Box 7
- Box 8
- Box 9
- Folder 1: Aerial Pictures of Flood: Point Bridge , Lincoln Park , and Demers Bridge
- Folder 2: Aerial Pictures of Flood
- Folder 3: Aerial Pictures of Flood in downtown Grand Forks
- Folder 4: Aerial Pictures of UND campus
- Folder 5: Aftermath of Blizzard Hannah: beginning to flood, preliminary clay dike, and sandbagging.
- Folder 6: Airport Pictures at Arrival of President Clinton
- Folder 7: Alabama Football Game in the Rain
- Folder 8: Alumni Party
- Folder 9: Ambassador Party
- Folder 10: Arrival of President Clinton
- Folder 11: Art Museum Dinner
- Folder 12: Base Retention Hearing: dinner decoration at Breckenridge condo
- Folder 13: Bismarck Pow Wow: Kitchen carpet, flower beds around campus, building of sunroom, and custom dresses.
- Folder 14: Boy Scout Lawn Party
- Folder 15: Blizzard Pictures- during and after
- Folder 16: Blizzard Pictures- spring 1997
- Folder 17: Brass Quintet
- Folder 18: Building the Sunroom
- Folder 19: Campus Flooding 1
- Folder 20: Campus Flooding 2
- Folder 21: Campus Pictures after the Flood: porta-potties arrive, muddy dikes, streets with debris, and coulee flooding.
- Folder 22: Campus Scenes in Winter
- Folder 23: China Airlines Dinner (set up)
- Folder 24: Christmas Entertaining
- Folder 25: Christmas Party
- Folder 26: Christmas Picture, 1992
- Folder 27: Coulee Flooding
- Folder 28: Day 1 of 1996 Blizzard: inside
- Folder 29: Day 2 of 1996 Blizzard: outside
- Folder 30: Day After the Blizzard of 1995
- Folder 31: Final Hosted Dinner, June 1999 ,packing
- Folder 32: Flooding: sandbagging and dikes
- Folder 33: Graduation Pictures
- Folder 34: Graduation Speaker/ Ceremony 1999
- Folder 35: Homecoming Parade
- Folder 36: Ice Storm 1999
- Folder 37: Ice Storm on UND Campus, dinner with women's Basketball team, Swimmers/ Divers Luncheon
- Folder 38: International Women's Day
- Folder 39: Ken's Cabinet Farewell Party June 1999
- Folder 40: Ken's Final Commencement May 1999
- Folder 41: Lincoln Park Damage, Ken driving solar car- subzero
- Folder 42: Luncheon for Adele Kupchella May 1999
- Folder 43: Meals and Showers at Thompson High School , flood pictures
- Folder 44: Miscellaneous
- Folder 45: Miscellaneous Flood 1997
- Folder 46: Miscellaneous Rock, one picture of Toby Baker with Tony Bennett.
- Folder 47: New Facility Tour, Walker , MN
- Folder 48: North Dakota Art Museum Dinner
- Folder 49: North Dakota Cheer Team and Homecoming Parade
- Folder 50: Peace Garden
- Folder 51: Physical Plant Party
- Folder 52: Pictures of People in Cold Football Stadium
- Folder 53: Pine Bluff Arkansas Women's Basketball National Tournament, pre and post win
- Folder 54: Pine Bluff Arkansas Women's Basketball : people and pep rally
- Folder 55: Post Flood: Downtown Ruins
- Folder 56: Post Flood: UND Campus 1
- Folder 57: Post Flood: UND Campus 2
- Folder 58: Post Flood: UND Campus 3
- Folder 59: Press Conference with President Clinton
- Folder 60: Receding Water
- Folder 61: Reception
- Folder 62: Redtag Diner 1
- Folder 63: Redtag Diner 2 , receding water , FEMA conference, health clinic
- Folder 64: Rising Water 1, miscellaneous
- Folder 65: Rising Water 2, around UND campus
- Folder 66: Rising Water 3, footbridge getting flooded
- Folder 67: Rising Water 4, coulee and near the railroad tracks behind UND
- Folder 68: Rising Water 5, around UND campus
- Folder 69: Rising Water 6, around UND, sandbagging and the dikes
- Folder 70: Rising Water 7, around UND campus
- Folder 71: Rising Water 8, around UND campus
- Folder 72: Ryan Hall- FEMA Conference
- Folder 73: Sandbagging, flooding around campus
- Folder 74: Save the Base Rally
- Folder 75: Scandinavian Art Museum
- Folder 76: Search Party- "You won't find a better Baker"
- Folder 77: Spring at the Coulee
- Folder 78: Spring Snow on the Coulee, miscellaneous dinner party pictures
- Folder 79: Student Ambassador Party and Sing
- Folder 80: Student Ambassador Valentines Reception
- Folder 81: Summer Days, luncheons and parties
- Folder 82: Sun Rayce St. Francis , KS
- Folder 83: Sunsets on Campus after the Rain
- Folder 84: Table Centerpieces and set ups, third grade carpet picnic
- Folder 85: Tea with Toby
- Folder 86: Thanksgiving with Guests
- Folder 87: Toby's Graduation
- Folder 88: Town Meeting in Aftermath of Flood
- Folder 89: Trip to North Dakota , first day at work as president
- Folder 90: UND Christmas Dinner
- Folder 91: UND Flying Team
- Folder 92: Western Theme Dinner
- Folder 93: Winter Pictures 1997
- Folder 94: Winter Scenes 1995
- Folder 95: Winter Scenes on Campus
- Box 10
- Item 1: Gift #9, Glass Jars
- Item 2: Gift #10, Brass Vase
- Item 3: Gift #11, Black Flowered Cloisonné Vase
- Item 4: Gift #12, Blue Flowered Cloisonné Vase
- Item 5: Gift #13, Blue Cloisonné Container with Top
- Item 6: Gift #14, White Flowered Cloisonné Vase
- Item 7: Gift #15, Green Cloisonné Container with Top
- Item 8: Gift #16, Red Cloisonné Plate
- Item 9: Gift #17, Writing Instrument Kit
- Item 10: Gift #18, Cloisonné Cup
- Item 11: Gift #19, Cloisonné Cup
- Item 12: Gift #20, Cloisonné Egg and Stand
- Item 13: Gift #21, Mini Cloisonné Vase
- Item 14: Gift #22, Mini Cloisonné Container
- Item 15: Gift #23, Crystal from Flight Safety Foundation
- Item 16: Gift #24, Wallet from China Airlines
- Item 17: Gift #25, Dinosaur Frame for Lake Agassiz Elementary Second Grade
- Separated Materials 1: Gifts
- The following items were placed on the shelves adjacent to the Toby Baker Papers.
- Item 1: Gift #1, Two Flowered Cloisonné Vases
- Item 2: Gift #2, Blue and White Flowered Vase
- Item 3: Gift #3, Multi Blue Vase
- Item 4: Gift #4, Japanese Tea Service
- Item 5: Gift #5, Flag and Platter of Mushae
- Item 6: Gift #6, Japanese Cloth Banner
- Item 7: Gift #7, UND Centennial Plate
- Item 8: Gift #8, UND Centennial Plate
- Item 9: Gift #26, USAF Thunderbirds Picture
- Item 10: Gift #27, Painting from China Airlines
- Item 11: Gift #28, Valentines Card
- Separated Materials 2: Audiotapes
- These audiotapes were separated and placed in the Audiotape Collection.
- Cassette Tape 2198: Punt and Kick, Thanks, Firehall Theater
- Cassette Tape 2199: German Russians
- Cassette Tape 2200: Mosquitoes
- Cassette Tape 2201: Gerry Groenewold
- Cassette Tape 2202: Literacy, Camp Sioux , Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, Punt and Kick
- Cassette Tape 2203: Chuck Wood, Jonathan Rabb, Patti Norman
- Cassette Tape 2204: Book Giveaway, Father William Sherman
- Cassette Tape 2205: Robot, Ed Schulz
- Cassette Tape 2206: Farmers Almanac, Slideshow
- Cassette Tape 2207: Warren Eckstein, Space
- Cassette Tape 2208: Anthropology, Theater
- Cassette Tape 2209: Veteran's Day
- Cassette Tape 2210: Leon Osborne, Dr. Richard Crawford, Dr. Jenson
- Cassette Tape 2211: Dr. Greg Gagnon, Gymnast
- Cassette Tape 2212: Customer Service Nightmares, Dr. Jim McKenzie
- Cassette Tape 2213: Higher Education Meeting, UND
- Cassette Tape 2214: Pat Owens- Woman of the Century, UND Student Body President Chris Semrau and Vice-President Keith Gendrau
- Cassette Tape 2215: Shakespeare, Dr. Orin G. Libby
- Cassette Tape 2216: Civil War, Red River Land
- Cassette Tape 2217: Pottery, Cop Shock by Alan Kates, Punt and Kick
- Cassette Tape 2218: Jim Schefter, Dr. Peter Gail, Dr. Chuck Wood
- Cassette Tape 2219: Dr. Jim McKenzie, Maria Williams
Browse by Box:
[Separated Materials 1: Gifts],
[Separated Materials 2: Audiotapes],