- Record Groups
M.T. Lillehaugen Papers
M.T. Lillehaugen Papers, 1899-1952
Title: M.T. Lillehaugen Papers, 1899-1952
Primary Creator: Lillehaugen, Michael T. (1881-1972)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 00/00/1984
Subjects: Politics and Government - Republican Party
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
Mikkel (Michael) T. Lillehaugen was born June 4, 1881, in Ål, Buskerud, Norway. At the age of four, he emigrated with his parents, Tosten Mikkelsen and Sigrid Larsdatter. The family lived in Dodge County, Minnesota, for three years and then, in 1888, settled in Perth Township, Walsh County, North Dakota. Michael Lillehaugen married Helen Sando in 1907. She died in 1914 leaving her husband with three small children. In 1915, Lillehaugen married Marie Moe. They had six children.
Lillehaugen was active in church, civic, and community affairs. He served as church secretary for Sarnia Lutheran Church for 36 years and was instrumental in establishing the Michigan Telephone Company. He also helped establish the Livestock Shipping Association in Whitman and served many years on the board of directors of the Whitman elevator.
A Republican, Lillehaugen was first elected to the North Dakota House in 1926, serving one term. He was elected again to the House in 1932, serving another term. In 1940, he was again elected and served seven consecutive terms. In 1952, Lillehaugen was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in Chicago.
Lillehaugen died October 24, 1972, in Michigan, North Dakota. He is buried at West Forest Cemetery.
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Dr. Playford Thorson, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; 84-1278
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). M.T. Lillehaugen Papers. OGLMC 960, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in December 2013.
Other URL: http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH000769314
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Stories of humor, news, etc. clipped by Lillehaugen from various newspapers.
- Folder 2: Clippings - Labor
- Folder 3: Clippings - Agriculture
- Folder 4: Clippings - War
- Includes address by Senator Gerald P. Nye in Chicago, December 30, 1937
- Folder 5: Resolutions of local farm groups between WWI and WWII.
- Folder 6: Bylaws - Nonpartisan League, 1930 and 1932
- Folder 7: Correspondence and clippings - North Dakota Hail Insurance programs, 1930-1932
- Folder 8: Clippings - State Banking Problems, 1920s
- Folder 9: Clippings on Prohibition and address by C.C. Converse of Bismarck, "The Proposed Repeal of State Prohibition", November 6, 1932
- Folder 10: Clippings on Lillehaugen and letters to newspapers written by him during his legislative career.
- Folder 11: Clippings - death penalty and compulsory military training in North Dakota schools of higher education during Lillehaugen's legislative career
- Folder 12: Correspondence and clippings - education issues in North Dakota, 1932-1933
- Folder 13: Family correspondence, 1899 (in Norwegian)
- Folder 14: Family correspondence, 1915-1924
- Folder 15: Correspondence from Rev. O. Nilsen, editor of Hallinglaget, with M.T. Lillehaugen, 1921-1933
- Folder 16: Political correspondence, 1926-1933
- Folder 17: Political correspondence, 1934
- Folder 18: Speech notes
- Folder 19: Political petitions, certificates of election, etc., for M.T. Lillehaugen during his legislative career.
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Miscellaneous Farmers Union materials, 1930s
- Folder 2: Clippings from Normanden, a North Dakota Norwegian newspaper
- Folder 3: Miscellaneous newspaper clippings
- Folder 4: Republican National Convention - correspondence, 1952
- Folder 5: Republican National Convention - pamphlets, programs, etc., 1952
- Folder 6: Republican National Convention - campaign literature, 1952
- Folder 7: Miscellaneous items
- includes a report card from a Norwegian school in North Dakota in 1924; Casket list for the North Dakota State Penitentiary; Union Party certificates; and Platform of the Union Party, 1936
- Folder 8: "The Week Day School Information of Value to the Situation in North Dakota," undated
- Folder 9: Pamphlets - "Universal Military Training" and "McCarthyism: The Fight for America"
- Folder 10: "Eulogy on the Life of George Washington" written by Thomas Paine in 1800 and read during the North Dakota legislative session, February 22, 1951
- Folder 11: Correspondence - Whitman Equity Elevator, 1935-1941
- Folder 12: Correspondence, etc. - proposal for a state-owned cement plant in North Dakota, 1950-1951
- Folder 13: M.T. Lillehaugen legislative correspondence, 1951
- Folder 14: M.T. Lillehaugen legislative notes, 1951
- Folder 15: Photographs
OGLMC 960-1: Scandinavian-American Members of the 20th Legislative Assembly, 1927
OGLMC 960-2 through 960-4: M.T. Lillehaugen, undated
Browse by Box: