- Record Groups
- Orin G. Libby Manuscript Co...
- Thomas Kenmir Papers
- Finding Aid
Thomas Kenmir Papers, 1848-1913, 2004
Title: Thomas Kenmir Papers, 1848-1913, 2004
Primary Creator: Kenmir, Thomas (1834-1913)
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 11/10/2004
Subjects: Agriculture, Ojata, North Dakota
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Thomas Kenmir Papers, 1848-2004, largely consist of photocopies of Thomas Kenmir's personal journals. These journals, 1848-1913, written in English, were divided into six volumes by Karen Wolfson. The journal entries, usually consisting of one to two lines, highlighted events such as the birth of a child or an illness in the family, correspondence sent and received, visitors and guests, and the journey from England to America. Kenmir wrote a journal entry about every two to three days.
Volume I was written during his time in England, Volume II was written in Grand Forks, Dakota Territory, and Volume III was written at John Dinnie's farm in Emerado, Grand Forks County. Volumes IV and V were written while he resided at 614 Walnut Street, Grand Forks, and Volume VI was written while he lived at 918 Walnut Street, Grand Forks.
Also included in this collection is a photocopied journal written by Thomas and Mary Kenmir's only son, Edward. His journal was also written in English and consists of one to two lines highlighting events of the day especially the weather. He also writes about gifts and correspondence he received, and when he went to town. Entries in the journal were made every other day.
The collection also consists of Kenmir family history documents including a family tree, copies of Thomas and Mary Kenmir's death certificates, copies of Thomas Kenmir's citizenship papers, and three homestead certificates. There is also an interview by Benjamin Rinde with Thomas and Isabella Kenmir's fourth child, Thomas Hay. The interview was part of the Works Progress Administration's Pioneer Biography Files for North Dakota.
Collection Historical Note
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Ron and Karen Wolfson, Nevada City, California
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2004-2719
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Thomas Kenmir Papers. OGLMC 1480, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in February 2013.
Other URL: http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH007326023
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume I: November 16, 1864-September 2, 1877 with backnotes beginning February 1848
- Folder 2: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume I (Missing Pages), February 22, 1869- September 24, 1870
- Folder 3: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume II, September 4, 1877-May 24, 1886
- Folder 4: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume III, May 24, 1886-October 15, 1895
- Folder 5: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume IV, October 20, 1895-July 20, 1900
- Folder 6: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume V, November 30, 1900-December 31, 1905
- Folder 7: Journal of Thomas Kenmir–Volume VI (Last Journal), January 1, 1906-June 13, 1913
- Folder 8: Photocopied pictures of Thomas and Mary Kenmir, ca. 1879
- Folder 9: Diary of Edward Kenmir–Volume I, December 31, 1887-September 28, 1890
- Folder 10: Thomas Kenmir Family Documents
- Folder 11: Kenmir Family Tree Outline, August 30, 2004