Rye School Number 30 Records, 1881-1969, 2005
Primary Creator: Rye School District number 30
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 02/16/2012
The Rye School Records consist mainly of ledgers maintained by the teachers, treasurers, and clerks of the school district. The teachers registers include names of students along with their attendance and grades Beginning about 1921, dates of birth for students were also recorded. Books maintained by the treasurers contain detailed financial information such as records of receipts and expenditures, while the clerk's registers are primarily minutes of school board meetings.
The collection also includes some historical information, including a deed for the property on which a new school was built in 1904 and a DVD from 2005 with recollections of two sisters who attended Rye School about fifty years earlier. Among other assorted documents are papers concering the annexation of the school district in 1969 to Grand Forks District number 1.
School district number 30 was established in Grand Forks County in 1881 and included the southern portion of Rye Township and the northern portion of Brenna Township. A school was first built in section 4 of Brenna Township and opened 26 September 1881. The school year at the time was six months long, split into a fall term and a spring term. In 1904, the old building was sold and a new school built at the southwest corner of section 33 in Rye Township on land owned by Mrs. Delia Saumur. It was called Rye School District number 30. Rye School began serving hot lunches in 1913, the first school in the county to do so. The following year, it was the first school in the nation to have medical inspections by a nurse paid with public funds. The building was remodeled and updated in 1929, including the addition of a basement. Rye School closed in 1969 when it was annexed into Grand Forks District number 1.
Grand Forks County Heritage Book: A History of Rural Grand Forks County. Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Co., 1976.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Pat Larson, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2012-3154
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Rye School Number 30 Records. OGLMC 1595, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Processing Information: Processed by Amber Bouret, work study assistant, November 2012.
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Ledger 24: Teacher's Register, 1917-1921
- Ledger 25: Teacher's Register, 1921-1925
- Ledger 26: Teacher's Register, 1925-1928
- Ledger 27: Teacher's Register, 1928-1929
- Ledger 28: Teacher's Register, 1929-1932
- Ledger 29: Teacher's Register, 1936-1940
- Ledger 30: Teacher's Register, 1940-1944
- Ledger 31: Teacher's Register, 1944-1945
- Ledger 32: Teacher's Register, 1945-1949
- Ledger 33: Teacher's Register, 1949-1952
- Ledger 34: Teacher's Register, 1952-1956
- Ledger 35: Teacher's Register, 1956-1960
- Ledger 36: Teacher's Register, 1960-1962
- Ledger 37: Teacher's Register, 1962-1965
- Ledger 38: Teacher's Register, 1965-1966
- Ledger 39: Teacher's Register, 1966-1969
- Ledger 40: Clerk's Record, 1931-1969
- Ledger 41: Treasurer's Record, 1931-1960
- Ledger 42: Treasurer's Record, 1960-1969
- Ledger 43: Clerk's Record - Financial Information, 1952-1969
Browse by Box: