- Record Groups
- Orin G. Libby Manuscript Co...
- J.W. Farrier Papers
- Finding Aid
J.W. Farrier Papers, 1869-1925
Title: J.W. Farrier Papers, 1869-1925
Primary Creator: Farrier, James W. (1848-1925)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Arrangement: The diaries in the collection are arranged in chronological order.
Date Acquired: 05/03/2009
Subjects: Agriculture, Business and Industry
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the Rules and Regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Terry and Marlene McLaughlin, Huntington Beach, California
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2009-2968
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). J.W. Farrier Papers. OGLMC 1542, Box # , Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Processing Information: Processed by Daniel Sauerwein, Special Collections student assistant, in April 2012.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in April 2012.
Other URL: http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH007246950 http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH007246942
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: 1890-1899 Journal
- Journal covering the period 1890-1899 with varying details depending on day. Farrier mentions outings and other travels, as well as his birthday.
- Folder 2: 1905 Journal
- Journal for 1905 relating to living in Canada again. Primarily relates to daily life, but one entry notes historical events in New England during the arrival of colonists to Plymouth in 1620-1621.
- Folder 3: 1905-1906 Check Register
- Check register for 1905-1906.
- Folder 4: 1906 Journal of Accounts
- Small memoranda book from The Canadian Bank of Commerce for 1905. Similar to the Memorandum and Account books in Box 1.
- Folder 5: 1906-1914 Journal
- Journal covering years 1905-1914, includes mentions of persons from North Dakota (Rugby specifically), as well as births and deaths of people connected to him.
- Folder 6: 1906-1917 Check Register
- Check register from when Farrier lived in Alberta, but from the State Bank of Wolford (North Dakota) covering the years 1906-1917. Indicates that even though he moved from the area that he retained financial ties to North Dakota.
- Folder 7: 1909-1910 Journal of Accounts
- 1909-1910 Canadian Bank of Commerce Memorandum book.
- Folder 8: 1911 Journal of Accounts
- Canadian Bank of Commerce Memorandum book used as journal for 1911 and includes references to travels to Rochester, Minnesota.
- Folder 9: 1913 Journal of Accounts
- Canadian Bank of Commerce Memorandum book for 1913.
- Folder 10: 1914-1919 Journal
- Journal covering life from 1914-1919. Farrier lived in Alberta and made several entries about what he heard regarding the fighting in World War I (1914-1918).
- Folder 11: 1916 Journal
- Small journal noting travel in Montana, Nevada, and Utah during 1916.
- Folder 12: 1917 Journal
- Two memorandum books covering 1917.
- Folder 13: 1918-1925 Journal
- Small journal with entries ranging from 1918-1925, including mentions of a person from Rugby, North Dakota dying from Spanish influenza pandemic, Albert traveling to Grand Forks, and other events in life.
- Folder 14: 1920-1921 Journal and picture
- Journal for the years 1920-1921 again primarily noting daily occurrences and includes a photo that has “We had lunch at Crammond [Alberta]. Typical N.D. background.” Likely referring to Crammond, Alberta, which would have been a small town at that time and likely reminded Farrier of his time in North Dakota.
- Folder 15: Wallet
- Farrier’s leather wallet inscribed with both a Masonic symbol, as well as his name, the date of June 4, 1884 and Jackson, D.T. (Dakota Territory), which is in southeastern North Dakota, near Oakes.
Browse by Box: