J.W. Farrier Papers, 1869-1925
Primary Creator: Farrier, James W. (1848-1925)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Arrangement: The diaries in the collection are arranged in chronological order.
Date Acquired: 05/03/2009
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the Rules and Regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Terry and Marlene McLaughlin, Huntington Beach, California
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2009-2968
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). J.W. Farrier Papers. OGLMC 1542, Box # , Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Processing Information: Processed by Daniel Sauerwein, Special Collections student assistant, in April 2012.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in April 2012.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Biographical Information
- Contains biographical information submitted by the family, including digitized copies of the 1861 Canadian Census, 1880 and 1920 United States Censuses, the 1906 Alberta Census, as well as copies of land records related to his land in North Dakota.
- Folder 2: Photographs
- Photograph of Miss Mary Ann Lincoln in 1872. Two of his real estate business cards, when engaged in that occupation in Alberta, and an image related to a local railroad in Michigan related to the presidential election of 1876 involving Samuel J. Tilden.
- Folder 3: Journal, 1869-1875
- Journal covering the years 1869-1875, with much material related to daily activity and figures related to farming.
- Folder 4: Journal, 1872-1878
- Journal covering the years 1872-1878 with most material related to daily life and agricultural figures.
- Folder 5: Journal, 1875-1880
- Journal covering the years 1875-1880 with material on primarily daily activities and what prices he received for various commodities.
- Folder 6: 1877 Blue Lodge Masonry
- 1876 copy of The Miniature Monitor Containing All the Monitorial Instructions in Blue Lodge Masonry of Thomas Smith Webb by Rob Morris. Dated by Farrier in Long Beach, California on Oct. 10, 1920. Indicates that Farrier was active in the Masonic movement at some point, likely later, in his life.
- Folder 7: Journal, 1878-1879
- Small journal detailing daily life from 1878-1879.
- Folder 8: Journal, 1880-1882
- Small journal covering the years Nov. 1880-Oct. 1882.
- Folder 9: 1881-1882
- Small farm journal that has very little, except for figures related to costs associated with the farm.
- Folder 10: 1883-1884 Journals
- Two journals (one is loose) related to life and prices of goods for the years 1883-1884.
- Folder 11: 1885-1887 Journal of Accounts
- Two memorandum and account books that Farrier used to note prices and other information related to agriculture. These books included informational text, similar to a farmers’ almanac as well as space for writing notes on a variety of subjects. Covered the years 1885-1887.
- Folder 12: 1887 Journal of Accounts
- Memorandum and account book for 1887.
- Folder 13: 1889-1890
- Memorandum and account book for 1889-1890.
- Folder 14: 1889-1894 Journal of Accounts
- Small journal covering a few dates in 1889 and 1894 during his time in North Dakota. He mentions travels to Larimore and Fargo.
- Folder 15: 1899-1906 Journal
- Detailed journal documenting travels and life in both Oregon and North Dakota. Includes small photographs (possibly of himself) and notes the deaths of his father and step-mother.
- Folder 16: 1890 Journal
- Memorandum and account book for the year 1890. Not as filled in as the others.
Browse by Box: