J.W. Farrier Papers, 1869-1925
Primary Creator: Farrier, James W. (1848-1925)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Arrangement: The diaries in the collection are arranged in chronological order.
Date Acquired: 05/03/2009
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the Rules and Regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Terry and Marlene McLaughlin, Huntington Beach, California
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2009-2968
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). J.W. Farrier Papers. OGLMC 1542, Box # , Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Processing Information: Processed by Daniel Sauerwein, Special Collections student assistant, in April 2012.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in April 2012.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Biographical Information
- Contains biographical information submitted by the family, including digitized copies of the 1861 Canadian Census, 1880 and 1920 United States Censuses, the 1906 Alberta Census, as well as copies of land records related to his land in North Dakota.
- Folder 2: Photographs
- Photograph of Miss Mary Ann Lincoln in 1872. Two of his real estate business cards, when engaged in that occupation in Alberta, and an image related to a local railroad in Michigan related to the presidential election of 1876 involving Samuel J. Tilden.
- Folder 3: Journal, 1869-1875
- Journal covering the years 1869-1875, with much material related to daily activity and figures related to farming.
- Folder 4: Journal, 1872-1878
- Journal covering the years 1872-1878 with most material related to daily life and agricultural figures.
- Folder 5: Journal, 1875-1880
- Journal covering the years 1875-1880 with material on primarily daily activities and what prices he received for various commodities.
- Folder 6: 1877 Blue Lodge Masonry
- 1876 copy of The Miniature Monitor Containing All the Monitorial Instructions in Blue Lodge Masonry of Thomas Smith Webb by Rob Morris. Dated by Farrier in Long Beach, California on Oct. 10, 1920. Indicates that Farrier was active in the Masonic movement at some point, likely later, in his life.
- Folder 7: Journal, 1878-1879
- Small journal detailing daily life from 1878-1879.
- Folder 8: Journal, 1880-1882
- Small journal covering the years Nov. 1880-Oct. 1882.
- Folder 9: 1881-1882
- Small farm journal that has very little, except for figures related to costs associated with the farm.
- Folder 10: 1883-1884 Journals
- Two journals (one is loose) related to life and prices of goods for the years 1883-1884.
- Folder 11: 1885-1887 Journal of Accounts
- Two memorandum and account books that Farrier used to note prices and other information related to agriculture. These books included informational text, similar to a farmers’ almanac as well as space for writing notes on a variety of subjects. Covered the years 1885-1887.
- Folder 12: 1887 Journal of Accounts
- Memorandum and account book for 1887.
- Folder 13: 1889-1890
- Memorandum and account book for 1889-1890.
- Folder 14: 1889-1894 Journal of Accounts
- Small journal covering a few dates in 1889 and 1894 during his time in North Dakota. He mentions travels to Larimore and Fargo.
- Folder 15: 1899-1906 Journal
- Detailed journal documenting travels and life in both Oregon and North Dakota. Includes small photographs (possibly of himself) and notes the deaths of his father and step-mother.
- Folder 16: 1890 Journal
- Memorandum and account book for the year 1890. Not as filled in as the others.
- Box 2
- Folder 1: 1890-1899 Journal
- Journal covering the period 1890-1899 with varying details depending on day. Farrier mentions outings and other travels, as well as his birthday.
- Folder 2: 1905 Journal
- Journal for 1905 relating to living in Canada again. Primarily relates to daily life, but one entry notes historical events in New England during the arrival of colonists to Plymouth in 1620-1621.
- Folder 3: 1905-1906 Check Register
- Check register for 1905-1906.
- Folder 4: 1906 Journal of Accounts
- Small memoranda book from The Canadian Bank of Commerce for 1905. Similar to the Memorandum and Account books in Box 1.
- Folder 5: 1906-1914 Journal
- Journal covering years 1905-1914, includes mentions of persons from North Dakota (Rugby specifically), as well as births and deaths of people connected to him.
- Folder 6: 1906-1917 Check Register
- Check register from when Farrier lived in Alberta, but from the State Bank of Wolford (North Dakota) covering the years 1906-1917. Indicates that even though he moved from the area that he retained financial ties to North Dakota.
- Folder 7: 1909-1910 Journal of Accounts
- 1909-1910 Canadian Bank of Commerce Memorandum book.
- Folder 8: 1911 Journal of Accounts
- Canadian Bank of Commerce Memorandum book used as journal for 1911 and includes references to travels to Rochester, Minnesota.
- Folder 9: 1913 Journal of Accounts
- Canadian Bank of Commerce Memorandum book for 1913.
- Folder 10: 1914-1919 Journal
- Journal covering life from 1914-1919. Farrier lived in Alberta and made several entries about what he heard regarding the fighting in World War I (1914-1918).
- Folder 11: 1916 Journal
- Small journal noting travel in Montana, Nevada, and Utah during 1916.
- Folder 12: 1917 Journal
- Two memorandum books covering 1917.
- Folder 13: 1918-1925 Journal
- Small journal with entries ranging from 1918-1925, including mentions of a person from Rugby, North Dakota dying from Spanish influenza pandemic, Albert traveling to Grand Forks, and other events in life.
- Folder 14: 1920-1921 Journal and picture
- Journal for the years 1920-1921 again primarily noting daily occurrences and includes a photo that has “We had lunch at Crammond [Alberta]. Typical N.D. background.” Likely referring to Crammond, Alberta, which would have been a small town at that time and likely reminded Farrier of his time in North Dakota.
- Folder 15: Wallet
- Farrier’s leather wallet inscribed with both a Masonic symbol, as well as his name, the date of June 4, 1884 and Jackson, D.T. (Dakota Territory), which is in southeastern North Dakota, near Oakes.
Browse by Box: