Langdon Woman's Club Records, 1929-1989
Primary Creator: Langdon Woman's Club (1895-1989)
Extent: 14.75 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 06/01/2000
In 1895, Mrs. Wegia Tracy, along with eleven other women, organized the Langdon Woman's Club to serve the civic, social and literary needs of the community. In fulfillment of civic service, the Club maintained a park, sponsored the library, and promoted several clean-up campaigns. Interest in the welfare of youth was evident with the establishment of a kindergarten in 1899, donations to schools for pianos, pictures, and band uniforms, and administration of preschool health check-ups and clinics. The Club's "Continuing Projects" were city beautification and support of youth programs, such as Girls' State and music and speech camp scholarships. The Club's literary aims were fulfilled by sponsoring concerts and performances through the North Dakota Council for the Arts, as well as an annual art show.
Langdon Woman's Club contributions were many, including: equipping a Boys' Club room, Sakakawea Memorial in Bismarck, Scott Memorial in Walhalla, Crippled Children's Village, Florence Crittenden Home, State Endowment Fund, bassinets and mattresses for the nursery at Mercy Hospital, quilt patterns and seed sent to the Indian Reservation at Belcourt, Polio Fund, Care for Korea, Past Matron's for Shrine Hospital, Christmas box for aged, clothing for needy families, Heart Fund, State Bookmobile, March of Dimes, Peace Garden, Restoration of Independence Hall, Mental Health, television set for Jamestown Hospital, Summer Speech Clinic, American Field Service Chapter, Cassidy Home for Boys, and Girls' State.
The Langdon Woman's Club disbanded in July 1989. The remaining funds in the treasury were given to the Cavalier County Public Library.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Diane Ellingson, Langdon, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.2000-2454
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Langdon Woman's Club Records. OGLMC 1408, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in February 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 2
- Folder 1: General Correspondence, 1929-30, 1932, 1936, 1977-81, 1984-85
- Folder 2: Library Project, 1971, 1974-77
- Folder 3: Art Show, 1973, 1979-84
- Folder 4: Activities, 1936, 1952-53, 1975, 1980, 1983-85
- Folder 5: Announcements, 1934, 1940, 1945, 1971
- Folder 6: Committee and Secretary Reports, 1933-34, 1938-39, 1973-81
- Folder 7: General Federation of Women's Clubs, 1965, 1976-82
- Folder 8: Health, 1930, 1936
- Folder 9: Letterhead, undated
- Folder 10: Member Info Sheet, undated
- Folder 11: North Dakota Federation of Women's Clubs, 1939-40, 1969, 1974, 1980-81
- Folder 12: Scholarship Applications, 1976
- Folder 13: Songbooks and Poems, undated
- Folder 14: Guest book, 1960-79
- Folder 15: Guest book, 1988
- Folder 16: Yearbooks, 1971-80, 1984
- Scrapbook 5: Scrapbook, 1936-37
- Scrapbook 1: Scrapbook, 1930-31
- Scrapbook 2: Scrapbook, 1931-32
- Scrapbook 3: Scrapbook, 1933-34
- Scrapbook 4: Scrapbook, 1934-35
Browse by Box: