Grand Forks College Collection, 1892, 1900-1909
Primary Creator: Grand Forks College (1892-1911)
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 00/00/1985. More info below under Accruals.
Grand Forks College opened its doors in 1892 as a multipurpose college. It functioned as a preparatory school and a classical college, and also educated students in science, business and teaching. This was all provided with a Lutheran background. The college was located on six acres on Belmont Avenue just south of Grand Forks, and it consisted of a three-story brick building with both residential and classroom space. When it officially opened, there were 160 students enrolled, and it accepted both students who had or had not previously attended college. Enrollment, however, dropped to 72 students by 1904 and the college continued to struggle with competition from the University of North Dakota. It was forced to close its doors in 1911.
Source: Yvette LaPierre, "Grand Forks College: 1891 to 1911," Merrifield Competition Papers Collection, OGLMC 1289, Box 1, Folder 73
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; 85-1425
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Grand Forks College Collection. OGLMC 413. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Grand Forks College Catalogs, 1901-02, 1902-03, 1904-05, 1906-07
- Folder 2: Grand Forks College Catalogs (copies), 1892-93 and 1900-01
- Folder 3: Articles of Incorporation (copy), 14 May 1891
- Includes assorted correspondence, 1921-1922, and lists of names (students?), 1891-94 and 1900-10
- Folder 4: Pictures from Grand Forks College Catalogs, ca. early 1900s and 1906
- Folder 5: The Messenger of Grand Forks College (magazine), April-June 1906
- Folder 6: Commencement Program, 1906
- Folder 7: Stock Certificate issued to Ole Iversen, 7 November 1903
- Photographs :
- Eight photographs were separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinet. Note: photographs could not be found as of December 2015.
- Photograph 1: Grand Forks College Building
- Photograph 2: Japanese Fantastics, (Program), 1906
- Photograph 3: Grand Forks College Students
- Photograph 4: Physical Culture Class, 1906
- Photograph 5: Commercial Department and Business Room, Grand Forks College
- Photograph 6: Grand Forks College Band, 1908-1909
- Photograph 7: Grand Forks College Student Body