North Dakota Psychological Association Records, 1954-1982
Primary Creator: North Dakota Psychological Association (1954-)
Extent: 1.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 09/00/1985
The North Dakota Psychological Association (NDPA) was formed June 11, 1954, and incorporated in 1958. The purpose of the organization was to “advance psychology as a science, as a profession, and as a means of promoting human welfare.” The NDPA initially met semi-annually in both the Spring and Fall, although in 1968 this was changed to only annual Fall meetings.
Over the years, the group has faced many issues. One involved the concern for ethical standards and certification of psychologists. The NDPA resolved this issue in 1958 by opting for self-certification rather than statutory certification, and appointed a Board of Examiners. In response to a 1969 state licensing law, a Professional Standards and Review Committee was appointed in 1974.
The organization has also been concerned with its recognition in the health field. Representation of the NDPA on the State Health Council in 1963 and on the Mental Health Board in 1972 were issues, besides representation on the American Psychological Association Council. There was discussion in 1971 regarding a possible licensure law for social workers as it effected bachelor psychology graduates. The question also was asked as to what job opportunities were available for these graduate and if they needed or should receive extra training.
In 1974, the Association formally sponsored a continuing education program, and in 1977 made it mandatory and tied continuing education to licensure. Various other issues arose, including utilization of the title "psychologist", dues, the ability to admit patients to a hospital, research, and the education of the public as to comparisons between psychology and psychiatry. A continual and overriding issue was the need for inclusion of reimbursement for psychologists' fees in health insurance plans.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Dr. Kenneth Carlson and Dr. Ralph Kolstoe, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.85-1414
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). North Dakota Psychological Association Records. OGLMC 1039, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Constitution and By-Laws, 1954 - 1956
- Folder 2: Revised By-Laws, 1966 - 1980
- Folder 3: Membership Lists, 1954 - 1968
- Folder 4: Membership Lists, 1969 - 1981
- Folder 5: Membership Applications, 1973 - 1978
- Folder 6: Membership, Computer Disks, 1954 - 1983
- Folder 7: Membership, Computer Print-Out, 1954 - 1983
- Folder 8: Minutes, Annual Meetings, 1954 - 1968
- Folder 9: Minutes, Annual Meetings, 1969 - 1982
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Minutes, Board of Trustees, June 1954 - October 1959
- Folder 2: Minutes, Board of Trustees, October 1960 - November 1969
- Folder 3: Minutes, Board of Trustees, April 1970 - November 1972
- Folder 4: Minutes, Board of Trustees, January 1973 - October 1975
- Folder 5: Minutes, Board of Trustees, April 1976 - October 1977
- Folder 6: Minutes, Board of Trustees, January 1978 - October 1982
- Folder 7: Certification and Licensure, 1954 - 1977
- Folder 8: Correspondence, 1968 - 1977