John S. Lundy Papers, 1950-1973
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
John Silas Lundy was born on July 6, 1894, in Inkster, North Dakota. He was the son of Dr. Fred and Lila Lundy. He graduated from the University of North Dakota in June 1917 with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the School of Medicine. He received his medical degree from the Rush Medical College at the University of Chicago in 1920.
Later that year, Dr. Lundy moved to Seattle, Washington. In 1924, he was named head of the section on anesthesia at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. He served in that position until 1952, and was a pioneer in the use of sodium pentothal. He also established the first blood bank in 1935, and the first post-anesthesia recovery room in 1942.
John Lundy was a prodigious author, who was estimated to have written one paper every six weeks during his professional career. He authored a textbook entitled Clinical Anesthesia, established Anasthesia Abstracts, and was an editor for a section of the Journal-Lancet. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Kappa Kappa, and Sigma Xi. He received an honorary doctor of science degree from UND in 1948. He retired from the Mayo Clinic in 1959.
He married Lenore Mittelstadt of St. Paul, Minnesota, on September 5, 1925. The couple had three children: Richard Allen, Joan Lenore, and John Charles. Dr. John S. Lundy died in Seattle in April 1973.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; the acquisition records are unavailable.
Related Materials: Dr. Fred G. Lundy Papers, OGLMC 114
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). John S. Lundy Papers. OGLMC 164, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in January 2014.
Browse by Box:
[Photograph 1: John S. Lundy, undated],
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Biographical Materials:
- Item 1: "John Silas Lundy, M.D.," by J. Arthur Myers. The Journal-Lancet: December 1957
- Item 2: Selection from The Incurable Physician by Dr. Walter C. Alvarez: 1963
- Item 3: "Wife of Former Local Man Dies," Grand Forks Herald: undated
- Item 4: "U Grad to Receive Gold Medal in Anesthesiology," UND Press Release: April 24, 1968
- Item 5: "Anesthesiology Award Slated," Grand Forks Herald: May 14, 1968
- Item 6: "Memories of 30 Years of Group Experiences in Anesthesia," by John S. Lundy. Minnesota Medicine: June 1968
- Item 7: "Canadian Anaesthetists Society Medal: Dr. John Silas Lundy," Canadian Anaesthetists Society Journal: undated (probably 1967 or 1968)
- Item 8: "Noted doctor, UND grad, dies," Grand Forks Herald: April 27, 1973
- Folder 2: Photocopied documents:
- Item 1: Citation in honor of Lundy by the Office of the Dean, UND School of Medicine: undated
- Item 2: "U Grad to Receive Gold Medal in Anesthesiology"
- Item 3: "From the Archives: The Lundy Papers"
- Item 4: "Pamphlet Details Rigors of Pioneer Dakota Doctor," Rochester Post Bulletin: February 27, 1950
- Item 5: "Lundy's Radioisotope Venture Cost Rochester Physician $585," Rochester Post Bulletin: January 17, 1955
- Item 6: Certificate of Esteem and Appreciation from the Mayo Clinic: December 1959
- Item 7: Certificate of Emeritus Status, University of Minnesota: undated
- Item 8: Photocopy of plaque at Saint Mary's Hospital, Rochester, Minnesota
- Photograph 1: John S. Lundy, undated
- The photograph was separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets.