Grand Forks Clinic Records, 1916-1990
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 10/03/1990
The Grand Forks Clinic was named for its founders, Henry Herbert Healy, Henry W.F. Law, and Henry Gustav Woutat in 1916. The Healy, Law, Woutat Clinic was located on Demers Avenue and Fourth Street. The clinic grew and in the 1930s added a new partner, Dr. John H. Moore, thus the name of the clinic became Healy, Law, Woutat, Moore Clinic. In the 1940s the clinic became The Grand Forks Clinic.
In 1948 The Grand Forks Clinic moved to a new location on the corner of Fourth Street and Division Avenue. The clinic continued to grow, adding a pharmacy on the ground floor, a third floor for office space and a penthouse for a meeting room. After taking over surrounding businesses for more space, the doctors decided they needed to move to a larger space. Twenty- one doctors got together and bought 750 acres of land to build a new clinic, which was located on Columbia Road and 11th Avenue.
Construction began on the new clinic in the 1970s. It was occupied in November of 1976 with an open house staged in April 1977. It was 75,000 square feet with an addition 36,000 feet planned for expansion. On July 1, 1997 the Grand Forks Clinic integrated with United Health Services and is now a part of Altru Health System.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Linda Youngs, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Accession 90-1726
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Grand Forks Clinic Records. OGLMC 1215, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: John H. Moore, M.D.: "The Grand Forks Clinic".
- Folder 2: Nelson A. Youngs, M.D. et al: "History of the Grand Forks Clinic".
- Folder 3: Bob Gilmour (Grand Forks Herald): "Grand Forks Clinic".
- Folder 4: Clinic Profile
- Folder 5: Advertising Material
- Folder 6: Newspaper Articles - 75th Anniversary
- Folder 7: Photographs
- Photograph 1: Grand Forks Clinic
- Photograph 2: Construction on Grand Forks Clinic
- Photograph 3: Grand Forks Clinic
- Photograph 4: Grand Forks Clinic
- Photograph 5: Grand Forks Clinic
- Photograph 6: Grand Forks Clinic, 1990
- Photograph 7: Grand Forks Clinic
- Photograph 8: Deaconess Hospital, 1910
- Photograph 9: Deaconess Hospital, 1931
- Photograph 10: St. Michaels Hospital, 1930
- Photograph 11: H.G. Woutat, M.D
- Photograph 12: H.H. Healy, M.D.
- Photograph 13: Dr. Welby with Dr. Silverman, April 1973
- Photograph 14: Nels Youngs, Phil Woutat, Bob Painter, Ken Peterson, Ed Haunz, Mickey Grinnell, John Sandmeyer
- Photograph 15: Top row (left to right): Porter, Nelson, Hill, Turner, Haunz, (some names missing) Pettit, Sandmeyer. Lower row (left to right): Painter, Ralston, Nelson A. Youngs, Moore, Goehl, Jensen, Grinnell, P.H. Woutat, Fritzell, Silverman
Browse by Box: