Grafton Riverside Women's Club Records, 1924-1995
Primary Creator: Grafton Riverside Women's Club (1924-1994)
Extent: 19.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 12/06/2002
The Grafton Riverside Women's Club Records date from 1924-1995. The collection consists of record books, which contain meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, club members' notes, and club songs. Also included are meeting programs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs, statistical reports, club histories, annual reports, and many scrapbooks. The material was directly related mostly to the local club, but some district and state material was also included.
The material was arranged with the local club first, followed by District I, then the North Dakota State General Federation of Women's Clubs. Also, 34 scrapbooks from the Riverside Club, dated 1931-1995, were arranged into the final 12 boxes.
The Grafton Riverside Women's Club was organized on March 27, 1924, at the home of Mrs. Henry Jaster. Riverside was the second Homemaker's club organized in Walsh County. With the purpose of starting a homemaker's club in mind, their objectives were to improve their homes, schools, churches, and the community. To become a member, one had to attend the meetings on the last Thursday of every month and pay ten cent dues each month.
Each club year began in October and ended in September. At the first meeting, fourteen members present. A motto chosen was "Practical Project Prove Profitable," and one of their first project lessons was making cheese. A typical meeting began with roll call by the payment of dues. The pledge of allegiance was then given, followed by the singing of one verse of the Star Spangled Banner. The club Creed was then read, and the treasurer's report was given next. Thank you notes and miscellaneous correspondence were read following the treasurer's report. Old business was discussed, followed by new business. After the adjourning of the meeting, a lunch was served by the hostesses.
In addition to their weekly meetings, the Grafton Riverside Women's Club made donations to other groups and organizations, such as 4-H clubs. They also sponsored Girls' State attendees and the Hugh O'Brian conventions, as well as International Music Camp.
The club was disbanded in the fall of 1994 by the three remaining members, Agnes Davis, Mazel Neilson, and Betty Odegaard.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Agnes Davis, Grafton, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.#2003-2615
Four photographs were separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets.
OGL#1457-1: Home Made Cheese display, the first project of the Club: probably 1924
OGL#1457-2: Grafton Riverside Women’s Club group portrait: 1942
OGL#1457-3: 25th Anniversary: President Mazel Neilson
OGL#1457-4: 25th Anniversary of the Riverside Club, Members
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Grafton Riverside Women's Club Records. OGLMC 1457, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in July 2013.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Record Books: 1924-1929
- Folder 2: Record Books: 1929-1935
- Folder 3: Record Books: 1935-1942
- Folder 4: Record Books: 1942-1949
- Folder 5: Record Books: 1950-1955
- Folder 6: Record Books: 1955-1958
- Folder 7: Record Books: 1958-1965
- Folder 8: Record Books: 1965-1970
- Folder 9: Record Books: 1975-1982
- Folder 10: Record Books: 1983-1994
- Folder 11: Meeting Programs: 1925-1949
- Folder 12: Meeting Programs: 1949-1964
- Folder 13: Meeting Programs: 1964-1978
- Folder 14: Meeting Programs: 1978-1989
- Folder 15: Guest Book: 1960
- Folder 16: 25th Anniversary Materials: 1950
- Folder 17: Volunteer Work
- Folder 18: Statistical Reports and Receipts
- Folder 19: Certificates of Proficiency and Appreciation
- Folder 20: Membership Lists: 1987-1992
- Folder 21: Club Histories and Annual Reports: 1924-1950, 1979-1994
- Folder 22: 75 Year Outline
- Folder 23: Correspondence
- Folder 24: Thank You Cards
- Folder 25: Miscellaneous Cards
- Folder 26: Newspaper Clippings: 1941-1993
- Folder 27: Newspaper Clippings: undated
- Folder 28: Miscellaneous Materials
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Treasurer's Record dated 1946-1993
- Folder 2: Convention Meetings
- Folder 3: Constitution and Bylaws
- Folder 4: International Affairs
- Folder 5: Correspondence
- Folder 6: Miscellaneous Club Materials
- Folder 7: President's Report dated April 29-May 1, 1988
- Folder 8: Convention Sessions
- Folder 9: Banquet Programs
- Folder 10: Guest Book: 1948
- Folder 11: Overall District Club Programs
- Folder 12: 1989 Winners of the ARTS
- Folder 13: Mississippi Valley Region-21st Annual Conference, Minot, North Dakota
- Folder 14: Correspondence
- Folder 15: Miscellaneous Materials
- Folder 16: 50th, 75th, and 100th Anniversary Materials
- Folder 17: Epsilon Sigma Omicron: Theta Chapter-Division of Study in the Department of Education of NDFWC-History and Biographical Sketches
- Box 3
- Box 4
- Box 5
- Box 6
- Box 7
- Box 8
- Box 9
- Box 10
- Box 11
- Box 12
- Box 13
- Box 14
Browse by Box: