Fred A. Maides Papers, 1883-1955
Primary Creator: Maides, Fred (1898-1985)
Extent: 1.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 06/14/1985
The Fred A. Maides Papers date from 1883 to 1955. Arranged first are Maides' personal materials, including files from his public and dental school education, his activities in World War I, and his service with the 304th College Training Detachment at the University of North Dakota. Maides provided dental service to these Army-Air Force students, who were training at UND.
There are also several files detailing Maides' history with the Boy Scouts in Grand Forks. Maides served as a scoutmaster for over forty years, and formed Boy Scout Troop 4, the first troop in Grand Forks. This material includes letters of recommendation written by Maides on behalf of former scouts seeking positions in the military, as well as correspondence he received from former scouts during World War II.
The collection also contains material related to the practice of dentistry in North Dakota. Included is "History of the North Dakota State Dental Association," a three volume essay which appears to have been written by Mrs. E.H. Crary of Cando, North Dakota. The essay covers 1883-1943, which includes the time period before the state association was formed in 1906. The North Dakota State Dental Association traces its roots to the Northwestern Dental Association, which was formed in Fargo in 1883. Also included are general newspaper clippings, correspondence, and materials related to dental laws in North Dakota and the Grand Forks Dental Credit Association.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Jay Hillier, Grand Forks County Historical Society
Acquisition Method: Donation; 85-1383
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Fred A. Maides Papers. OGLMC 1023, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in November 2013.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence, 1903 - 1944
- Folder 2: Education, 1914 - 1925
- Folder 3: High School Class Prophecy
- Folder 4: World War I Miscellaneous
- Folder 5: Minnesota Dental School, 1922 - 1926
- Folder 6: Anatomy Course Diagrams, Dental School
- Folder 7: North Dakota Dental Laws, 1931 - 1937
- Folder 8: Dental Accounts, Grand Forks Dental Credit Association, 1926 - 1941
- Folder 9: Dental Care, 304th College Training Detachment, University of North Dakota, April 1943 - May 1944
- Folder 10: North Dakota State Dental Association, 1933 - 1955
- Folder 11: Letter by Dr. Fred Rose to the North Dakota State Dental Association, May 1953
- Folder 12: Boy Scouts, 1931 - 1944
- Folder 13: Boy Scouts, 1946 - 1954
- Folder 14: Correspondence with Former Boy Scouts During World War II, 1942-1944
- Folder 15: Boy Scouts, Letters of Recommendation for Military Service Positions, 1942 -1943
- Folder 16: Boy Scouts Newspaper Clippings
- Folder 17: Dentistry Newspaper Clippings, 1930-1955
- Folder 18: History of the North Dakota State Dental Association, June 1883 - May 1916
- Folder 19: History of the North Dakota State Dental Association, May 1917 - April 1940
- Folder 20: History of the North Dakota State Dental Association, June 1883 - May 1943
Browse by Box: