American Association of University Women, North Dakota Chapter Records
American Association of University Women, North Dakota Chapter Records, 1916-1991
Extent: 33.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 00/00/1969. More info below under Accruals.
The American Association of University Women was formed in November 1881 in Boston, Massachusetts. Its goals were to promote higher education for women; assist women in their pursuit of various occupations; and help them utilize their higher education for the good of society, as well as for themselves.
The organization grew from the original 16 members to over 200,000 members in its centennial year of 1981. This network of university women exists in 54 countries and has a chapter in every state, including the North Dakota chapter.
In North Dakota, Valley City held its first AAUW meeting on October 12, 1916, and was officially recognized later that year. Grand Forks held its first meeting on October 25, 1916 and was recognized in 1917. Fargo's first meeting was on January 27, 1922. The Fargo branch was recognized with Moorhead in 1922. Fargo was later recognized on its own in 1930. The Dickinson branch held its first meeting on June 21, 1929 and was recognized on July 1, 1929. Bismarck's records are incomplete so the first meeting date is unknown. However, the Bismarck branch was recognized on October 6, 1930.
The State Division was founded in 1930. It included Valley City, Grand Forks, Fargo, Dickinson and Bismarck. Other branches soon followed. They included Minot (April 6, 1934), Jamestown (November 30, 1934), Wahpeton (June 3, 1935), Mayville (1937, disbanded in March 1942, reorganized in 1957), Grafton (October 31, 1951), Mandan (October 27, 1953), Williston (December 13, 1956), and Devils Lake (July 9, 1958).
Through seminars, conferences, meetings, and newsletters, AAUW offers university women information on current women's issues and international issues; promotes international understanding; and establishes lifelong friendships.
Numerous additions were received from Shelby Harken, Grand Forks, North Dakota: June 1977(77-424); April 15, 1981 (81-712); April 25, 1983 (83-107); September 12, 1984 (83-1330); and September 1986 (84-1330).
Additional material was also donated by Pat Berntsen, Grand Forks, North Dakota, on May 7, 1980 (81-702) and by Jinnie Milne, on July 17, 1990 (90-1715) and on August 19, 1991.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Method: Donation; the original acquisition records are unavailable.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Items) American Association of University Women, North Dakota Chapter Records. OGLMC 57, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in October 2015.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Notes from Mrs. Tighe's personal notebook when she was State President, 1932-1936
- Folder 2: AAUW stationary
- Folder 3: Bulletins regarding activities of Branches
- Folder 4: Mrs. Tighe's notes, clippings, ca. 1930-1932
- Folder 5: 7th National Convention at Boston, April 6-12, 1931; Mrs. Tighe's collected material about the city and convention program
- Folder 6: 18th National Convention, Minneapolis, MN, May 1933
- Folder 7: Bulletins from National Chairman, 1933-1934
- Folder 8: Mrs. Tighe's correspondence as N.D. AAUW President, 1934-1936
- Folder 9: Mrs. Tighe's correspondence as N.D. AAUW President, 1934-1936
- Folder 10: Mimeographed material concerning state school financing problems, 1935
- Folder 11: 9th National Biennial Convention, Los Angeles, 1935
- Folder 12: 9th National Biennial Convention, Los Angeles, 1935
- Folder 13: Mrs. Tighe, State Historian for AAUW; notes and letters of 1950's
- Folder 14: Mrs. Tighe's working notes
- Folder 15: Bylaws
- Folder 16: Reports and notes of State Art Chairman and Branches, 1938-1963
- Folder 17: North Dakota and the Arts of Design by Laura Beam
- Folder 18: Annual state reports in Higher Education, 1958-1963
- Folder 19: Reports of the Elementary and Secondary Education State Chairman, 1959-1963
- Folder 20: Reports of the State Chairman of Education, 1936-1963
- Folder 21: Reports of the International Relations Committee, 1932-1963
- Folder 22: Reports of the Fellowship Chairman, 1931-1963
- Folder 23: Correspondence on state Fellowship Fund, 1957-1958
- Folder 24: Reports of the Legislative Committee, 1933-1963
- Folder 25: Reports of the Mass Media Chairman, 1958-1963
- Folder 26: Reports of the Status-of-Women Chairman, 1946-1958
- Folder 27: Vitae sheets for candidates from Grand Forks for state officers (removed to University Documents, 10/8/81)
- Folder 28: Clippings of interest to Governor's Committee on Status of Women
- Folder 29: Reports of the Social & Economic Issues (SEI) Chairman, 1957-1963
- Folder 30: SEI Committee records and reports
- Folder 31: Reports of the Social Studies Committee
- Folder 32: Reports of the Membership Committee
- Folder 33: File of National Staff Associate on Membership
- Folder 34: Reports of the Program Chairman
- Folder 35: Reports of the Publicity Chairman
- Folder 36: Reports of the Historian, 1940-1963
- Folder 37: Notes on nominating committee
Browse by Box: