Northern Packing Company Records, Grand Forks, 1916-1939
Primary Creator: Northern Packing Company (1916-1941)
Extent: 1.25 Linear Feet
The Northern Packing Company opened for business December 9, 1919, and processed a variety of meats, sausage products, and poultry\hog feet. The plant was located just outside of Grand Forks, on U.S. Highway 81. The first meeting of the Board of Directors took place September 8, 1916. The company was organized by Grand Forks businessmen in part to provide a convenient place for area farmers to market their produce. H.R. Elliott, the manager of a successful packing company in Duluth, Minnesota, was chosen to be the manager. The company began with high expectations, but experienced financial difficulties throughout much of its history. The company overestimated the amount of processing, and often the plant was used at only one-third of its capacity. Many people living near outlying towns brought their business to the local butcher instead of traveling the long distance to Grand Forks. During the Great Depression, the plant was forced to close down when the Reconstruction Finance Corporation foreclosed on its unpaid $80,000 mortgage. Armour & Company bought the plant on December 1, 1941, the same day bankruptcy was filed in Northeast District Court. Pillsbury took over the plant in either 1960 or 1961; the first reference to this was found in the 1961 Grand Forks City Directory. Armour, however, maintained a wholesale division in Grand Forks until 1990.
Tweton, D. Jerome. Grand Forks: A Pictorial History. Norfolk, Virginia: The Donning Company/Publishers, 1986.
Bladow, Eldon, ed. They Came To Stay. Grand Forks, North Dakota: Grand Forks Centennial Corporations, 1974.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Northern Packing Company Records. OGLMC 1236, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid added to Archon in October 2013.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence, 1916 - 1917
- Folder 2: Correspondence, 1918 - 1924
- Folder 3: Correspondence, 1925 - 1928
- Folder 4: Correspondence, 1929 - 1930
- Folder 5: Correspondence, 1931
- Folder 6: Correspondence, 1932-1934
- Folder 7: Correspondence, 1935-1937
- Folder 8: By-Laws
- Folder 9: Northern Packing Company Bulletins, 1917-1919
- Folder 10: Minutes of Meetings, 1916 - 1917, 1922 - 1924, 1935
- Folder 11: Annual Reports, 1924 - 1925, 1928 - 1929
- Folder 12: Annual Reports, 1932, 1937 - 1938
- Folder 13: Financial Statements, 1917 - 1921
- Folder 14: Financial Statements, 1922 - 1923
- Folder 15: Financial Statements, 1924 - 1925
- Folder 16: Financial Statements, 1926-1927
- Folder 17: Financial Statements, 1928-1929
- Folder 18: Financial Statements, 1930 - 1931
- Folder 19: Financial Statements, 1932 - 1933
- Folder 20: Financial Statements, 1934 - 1935
- Folder 21: Financial Statements, 1936
- Folder 22: Financial Statements, 1937
- Folder 23: Financial Statements, January - June 1938
- Folder 24: Financial Statements, July - December 1938
- Folder 25: Financial Statements, January - June 1939
- Folder 26: Financial Statements, July - October 1939
- Folder 27: Public Addresses, 1935, 1937
- Folder 28: Agreements and Contracts, 1921, 1926, 1934
- Folder 29: Miscellaneous, 1917-1938
Browse by Box: