John Duerre Papers, 1957-2018
Primary Creator: Duerre, John A. (1930-2018)
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 04/30/2018
Subjects: University of North Dakota - Faculty
"John Arden Duerre, retired Professor of Microbiology & Immunology at the School of Medicine & Health Sciences, passed away surrounded by his loving family on April 7, 2018, in Woodbury, Minn. He was 87.
John was born August 21, 1930, in Webster, S.D., the son of Stella (Barber) and Dewey Duerre. He grew up and attended high school in Bristol, S.D.
He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at South Dakota State University and his doctorate at the University of Minnesota. He married Benna Bee Harris on June 16, 1957, in Mobridge, S.D. He served in the U.S. Army for 2 years during the Korean War.
He was a Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the School of Medicine at the University of North Dakota for 32 years (1963 – 1995). After retirement he and his wife traveled and enjoyed spending time with their grandchildren.
John was a long-time member of the Grand Forks Curling Club, the Dakota Hunting Club, The Grand Forks Gun Club, Ducks Unlimited, and the National Wildlife Federation. He enjoyed gardening, fishing, hunting, painting, carving, collecting rocks, making jewelry, wood working, baking, cooking, and making cards and pictures from pressed flowers.
John is survived by his children, Gail (Larry) of Great Falls, MT, Dawn (Todd) of Maplewood, MN, and Arden (Tina) of Vienna, VA; grandchildren, Tara, Alexander, Connor, and Ethan; and sister, Gloria (Gib) Shope of San Antonio, TX. He is preceded in death by his wife; his parents; brothers, Bob, Lloyd, Donald, Richard; and sister, Tutty."
Source: University Letter, 25 April 2018
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Dawn Duerre, Maplewood, MN
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2018-3393
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). John Duerre Papers. OGLMC 1682, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Processing Information: Processed by Curt Hanson in December 2018.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Personal Materials
- Folder 2: Journal Articles: 1950s
- Folder 3: Journal Articles: 1960-1965
- Item 1: 1961: "Malic Enzyme Induction by Lactic Acid Bacteria" Canadian Journal of Microbiology
- Item 2: 1962: "Preparation and Properties of S-Adenosyl-L-Homocysteine, S-Adenosyl-L-Homocysteine Sulfoxide and S-Ribosyl-L-Homocysteine" Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Item 3: 1962: "Formation and Metabolism of S-Adenosyl-L-Homocysteine in Yeast" Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Item 4: 1962: "A Hydrolytic Nucleosidase Acting on S-Adenosylhomocysteine on 5'-Methylthioadenosine" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Item 5: 1963: "Enzymes Released from Escherichia coli with the Aid of a Servall Cell Fractionator" Applied Microbiology
- Item 6: 1964: "Fractionation of Log Phase Escherichia Coli Ribosomal Proteins by Gel Filtration" Biochimica et Biophysica
- Item 7: 1964: "Incorporation of S35 Into Ribosomal Proteins of Escherichia Coli" Journal of Bacteriology
- Item 8: 1964: Proceedings of the Plenary Sessions, Sixth International Congress of Biochemistry
- Folder 4: Journal Articles: 1966-1969
- Item 1: 1966: "Preparation of L-Homocysteine from L-Homocysteine Thiolactone" Analytical Biochemistry
- Item 2: 1967: "Fractionation of Beef Liver Ribosomes with Specific Antiserum" Nature
- Item 3: 1968: "S-Ribosylhomocysteine Cleavage Enzyme from Escherichia Coli" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Item 4: 1968: "In Vivo and In Vitro Metabolism of S-Adenosyl-L-Homocysteine by Saccharomyces Cerevisiae" Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Item 5: 1968: "Preparation of Radioisotopically Labelled S-Ribosyl-L-Homocysteine" Journal of Labelled Compounds
- Item 6: 1969: "Metabolism of S-Adenosyl-L-homocysteine in Vivo by the Rat" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Item 7: 1969: "Pigment Formation from L-Tryptophan by a Particulate Fraction from an Achromobacter Species" Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Item 8: 1969: "Oxidative Deamination of S-Adenosyl-L-homocysteine by Rat Kidney L-Amino Acid Oxidase" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Item 9: 1969: The Biochemical Society 500th Meeting - University College London
- Folder 5: Journal Articles: 1970-1975
- Item 1: 1970: "Preparation and Characterization of Sulfoxides of S-Adenosyl-L-homocysteine and S-Ribosyl-L-homocysteine" Analytical Biochemistry
- Item 2: 1970: "Metabolism of Adenosylhomocysteine and Derivatives in Bacterial Systems" and "Oxidative Deamination of Sulphur Amino Acids by L-Amino Oxidases"
- Pamphlet announcing two presentations by Duerre at the Istituto di Chimica Biologica, Universita di Napoli
- Item 3: 1971: "Isolation and Electrophoretic Identification of Histones of Rat Brain and Liver" Journal of Neurochemistry
- Item 4: 1971: "Oxidative Deamination of Sulfur Amino Acids by Bacterial and Snake Venom L-Amino Acid Oxidase" Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Item 5: 1971: "S-Adenosylhomocysteine Nucleosidase" in Methods of Enzymology, Metabolism of Amino Acids and Amines (Edited by Tabor and Tabor)
- Item 6: 1974: "In Vivo Methylation and Turnover of Rat Brain Histones" Journal of Neurochemistry
- Item 7: 1974: "Changes in Histone Methylase Activity of Rat Brain and Liver with Ageing" Nature
- Item 8: 1975: "S-Adenosylhomocysteine Metabolism in Various Species" Canadian Journal of Biochemistry
- Item 9: 1975: "L-Amino Acid Oxidases of Proteus Rettgeri" Journal of Bacteriology
- Item 10: 1975: "Methylated Basic Amino Acid Composition of Histones from the Various Organs from the Rat" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Folder 6: Journal Articles: 1976-1979
- Item 1: 1977: "Properties of Soluble Rat Brain Histone Lysine Methyltransferase" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Item 2: 1977: "In Vitro Studies on the Methylation of Histones in Rat Brain Nuclei" Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Item 3: 1978: "A Sensitive Assay for Histone Methyltransferase" Analytical Biochemistry
- Item 4: 1979: "Relationship Between Tissue Levels of S-adenosylmethionine, S-adenosylhomocysteine, and Transmethylation Reactions" Canadian Journal of Biochemistry
- Item 5: 1979: "Rat Brain Histone Lysine Methyltransferase" Transmethylation
- Folder 7: Journal Articles: 1980-1985
- Item 1: 1981: "Effect of Adenosine Metabolites on Methyltransferase Reactions in Isolated Rat Livers" Biochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Item 2: 1981: "Regulation of S-adenosylmethionine and S-adenosylhomocysteine Levels in Isolated Rat Liver" in Biochemistry of S-Adenosylmethionine and Related Compounds
- Item 3: 1981: "Carboxyl Methylation of Nonhistone Chromosal Proteins" Biochemistry
- Item 4: 1982: "S-Adenosylhomocysteine Hydrolase from Rat Liver" Canadian Journal of Biochemistry
- Item 5: 1982: "Effect of Polyamines and Cations on the In Vitro Methylation of Histones" Biochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Item 6: 1982: "S-Adenosylhomocysteine Hydrolase from Rat Liver" Canadian Journal of Biochemistry
- Item 7: 1985: "Protein Carboxyl Methylation-Demethylation in Rat Thymocytes" Canadian Journal of Biochemistry
- Item 8: 1985: "Effect of Zinc Deficiency on Methionine Metabolism, Methylation Reactions and Protein Synthesis in Isolated Perfused Rat Liver" Journal of Nutrition
- Item 9: 1985: "Protein Carboxyl Methylation-Demethylation System in Developing Rat Livers" Biochemistry
- Item 10: 1985: "Specificity of the Histone Lysine Methyltransferases from Rat Brain Chromatin" Biochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Folder 8: Journal Articles: 1986-1991
- Item 1: 1986: "Methionine Metabolism in Isolated Perfused Livers from Rats Fed on Zinc-Deficient and Restricted Diets" British Journal of Nutrition
- Item 2: 1987: "Protein Carboxyl Methylation-Demethylation May Be Involved in Gene Activation" 1st International Symposium on Post-Translational Modifications of Proteins and Ageing
- Item 3: 1987: "Effect of Methylation Inhibitors on Phorbol Ester Induced Differentiation of HL-60 Promyelocytic Leukemia Cells" in Tumor Cell Differentiation
- Item 4: 1988: "Effect of 3-Deazaadenosine on Methionine Metabolism in Isolated Perfused Livers" Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Item 5: 1988: "Protein Carboxyl Methylation-Demehylation May Be Involved in Gene Activation" Advances in Post-Translational Modifications of Proteins and Aging
- Item 6: 1989: "Long-Term Culturing of TPA-Induced Differentiated HL-60 Cells Resulting in Increased Levels of Lytic Enzymes" Experimental Cell Research
- Item 7: 1989: "Characterization of the Binding of S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine to Plasma Membranes of HL-60 Promyelocytic Leukemia Cells" Biochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Item 8: 1991: "Current Status of Protein Methylation in Carcinogenesis" Oncogenesis
- Folder 9: Journal Articles: Undated
Browse by Box: