Grand Forks Lions Club Records, 1923-1987
Primary Creator: Grand Forks Lions Club (1921-)
Extent: 3.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 01/13/1989
The Grand Forks Lions Club Records contains club records starting in 1923. The records from the club's first year are missing. The collection contains correspondence dating from 1942 to 1985. Club records from 1923 to 1936 were kept in bound journals. From 1936, the records were on membership report and attendance record forms. There are club rosters from 1930 to 1985, but they are incomplete. There is a complete list of Officers and Board of Directors from 1936 to 1962. The collection also contains miscellaneous financial records, supply orders and statements, convention materials, and projects in which the club participated. Newspaper clippings of the club's projects and award certificates and plaques are also included.
The records are incomplete and only give a fragmentary view of the history of the Grand Forks Lions Club.
The Grand Forks Lions Club was organized in the fall of 1921, when a Mr. Thomasson, an organizer from Chicago for Lions International called on local businessmen to organize a Lions Club in Grand Forks. The club was organized February 9, 1922.
The charter night was held in May 1922 at St. Mary's Church Auditorium.
The International Association of Lions Clubs came into being in 1917. Melvin Jones was the founder of "Lionism" and he started the movement as a means of organizing community men's clubs into a strong and directed community resource. Lions Clubs are composed of the leading business and professional men of the community, whose purpose is to furnish organized leadership for community development by recognizing community needs, and by discovering, and effecting remedies for existing needs. Since its formation in 1917, the Lions movement has spread to tens of thousands of communities all over the world.
The Grand Forks Lions Club has been active in community support ever since its inception. Over the years the club has sponsored Boys State and Girls State in North Dakota. The club has helped to organize new Lions Clubs in various communities throughout North Dakota, has provided financial and material support to Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and other youth groups in North Dakota, has donated funds to help build the Memorial Stadium at the University of North Dakota; and built a hockey rink for youth hockey teams. It has taken an active interest in the North Dakota School for the Blind and was instrumental in getting the school moved from Bathgate to Grand Forks. Historically the club has provided leadership within District 5, North Dakota, South Dakota, Saskatchewan, and also at the international level. The Grand Forks Lions Club has been an active and vital part of community development in Grand Forks and the surrounding area.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: John Fleur
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.89-1638
Related Materials: Grand Forks Lioness Club Records: OGLMC 1297
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Grand Forks Lions Club Records. OGLMC 1180, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in May 2014.
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Constitution and By-Laws of the Grand Forks Lions Club, 1920s
- Folder 2: Correspondence, 1942 - 1949
- Folder 3: Correspondence, 1950 - 1952
- Folder 4: Correspondence, 1953 - 1959
- Folder 5: Correspondence, 1960 - 1968
- Folder 6: Correspondence, 1971 - 1985
- Folder 7: Board of Directors minutes, 1936 - 1964
- Folder 8: Club Secretary's record book, 1923 - 1930
- Folder 9: Club Secretary's record book, 1930 - 1936
- Folder 10: Club Secretary's files, 1979 - 1985
- Folder 11: Club rosters, 1930, 1942, 1946 - 1957
- Folder 12: Club rosters, 1961, 1963, 1965 - 1967, 1970 - 1973, 1976 - 1985
- Folder 13: Club attendance records; 1936 - 1968, miscellaneous-1979,1981,1982
- Folder 14: Membership reports, July 1939 - January 1941
- Folder 15: Membership reports, June 1945 - June 1950
- Folder 16: Membership reports, July 1950 - December 1958
- Folder 17: Membership reports, January 1959 - June 1973
- Folder 18: Membership reports, July 1973 - June 1981
- Folder 19: Membership reports, July 1981 - June 1987
- Folder 20: Officers and Board of Directors, 1936 - 1962
- Folder 21: Officers annual reports, 1949 - 1952
Browse by Box: