- Record Groups
Grand Forks City Center Mall Records
Grand Forks City Center Mall Records, 1972-1989
Title: Grand Forks City Center Mall Records, 1972-1989
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 08/27/2001. More info below under Accruals.
Subjects: Business and Industry, Grand Forks - Business
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Collection Historical Note
The City Center Mall was a shopping mall located in downtown Grand Forks, North Dakota. A roof and walls were constructed on 3rd Street between DeMers Avenue and Kittson Avenue, creating an enclosed mall which closed off the block. The main tenant of the City Center Mall was Silverman's, a clothing store for men. Unfortunately, the Mall could not stop the movement of business out of downtown during the 1980s and 1990s. Silverman's moved to a new location on South Columbia Road in 1995. Downtown Grand Forks was especially hit hard by the 1997 Flood, causing the City Center Mall to be demolished in 1998.
Source: Grand Forks: A Pictorial History by D. Jerome Tweton. Expanded Second Addition. Virginia Beach: Donning Company, 2005.
Repository: Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Accruals: Additional materials deposited by Jeff Wencl, Grand Forks Historic Preservation Commission, in 2017 (2017-3347)
Access Restrictions: Open for examination under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections
Acquisition Source: Mike Jacobs, Grand Forks Herald
Acquisition Method: Donation; 2002-2568
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Grand Forks City Center Mall Records. OGLMC 1446, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Other URL: http://library.und.edu/holdings.php?id=ODIN_ALEPH008193207
Box and Folder Listing
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Budgets, budget estimates, and budget proposals, 1974-1982
- Folder 2: City Center Motel, 1972-1975
- Folder 3: Initial stock offering record, agreement to incorporate, and correspondence to shareholders, 1972-1974
- Folder 4: Correspondence, memorandum, and proposals concerning the development of the downtown area and the City Center Mall., 1974-1981
- Folder 5: Market and Sites Survey, Schafer Associates, Oak Brook, Illinois, 9 April 1981
- Folder 6: Meeting minutes for the Board of Directors of Grand Forks City Center Inc., and the Annual Meeting of Shareholders of Grand Forks City Center Inc., 1981-1982
- Folder 7: Detailed proposal by Grand Forks City Center Inc. to the Mayor and City Council of Grand Forks, 26 April 1974
- Folder 8: City Center Mall Market Analysis, April 1988
- Folder 9: City Center Mall Task Force - Minutes and Report, 12-26 April 1989