- Record Groups
- Orin G. Libby Manuscript Co...
- United Lutheran Church Records
United Lutheran Church Records, 1930-1932, 1944
Title: United Lutheran Church Records
ID: OGLMC 1247
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Lutheran Church in Grand Forks
United Lutheran Church in Grand Forks was formed after the merger of three separate Lutheran congregations. Zion Lutheran and Trinity Lutheran merged in 1917 to form Bethany Congregation, which was joined by in 1926 by First Lutheran to form the present United Lutheran Church. The Zion Lutheran Church building was razed to make way for construction of the new United Lutheran Church building; the cornerstone was laid in 1929. The church was officially dedicated May 15, 1932. The bell tower, however, was not completed until 1941, with the dedication in November of that year.
Subjects (links to similar collections)
Acquired: 10/1991. Additional material was donated by unknown persons in August 2013; 2013-3231
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: United Lutheran Church, Grand Forks, North Dakota.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). United Lutheran Church Records. OGLMC 1247, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid migrated to Archon in January 2014.
Collection Material Type: Church Records
Scope and Contents:
The photographs in the collection depict the construction of the United Lutheran Church from its beginning in 1930 until its completion in 1932. The photographs especially detail the Art Deco design of the building. The architectural firm of Joseph Bell DeRemer designed the building, while Samuel Teel DeRemer was the chief architect. The photographs were separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets.
Also included is a bulletin from the July 2, 1944, church service for the dedication of military service flags in United Lutheran. The bulletin also includes a list of service members from the church.