Title: Children of Israel Congregation Records
ID: OGLMC 253
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
The Children of Israel Congregation was organized August 26, 1891. The first service was held in 1892, with Rabbi Benjamin Papermaster presiding. By 1915, the congregants had formed an Ahavath Zion Society, a Hebrew Literary Society for children, and a B'nai B'rith chapter. A "Ladies Aid Society" had been formed in 1891, although it was re-organized and re-named in 1933 as the "Sisterhood." The congregation is now known as B'Nai Israel, which means "children of Israel."
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Donation; acquisition record unavailable.
Related Materials: OGLMC 1304, Congregation B'Nai Israel Records
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item) Children of Israel Congregation Records. OGLMC 253. Box #, Folder#. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid migrated to Archon in August 2012.
Collection Material Type: Church Records
Scope and Contents: The Children of Israel Congregation Records consist of materials related to the construction of the synagogue. Included is correspondence between Isadore Papermaster and the Royal Finance Company of Fargo, regarding interest on a note for the building fund. Also included are two ledgers and several financial reports regarding the building fund.