Title: Empire Arts Center Records
ID: OGLMC 1411
Extent: 1.0 Folders
Formerly known as the New Grand Movie Theater, the Paramount, and eventually the Empire, this Grand Forks theater now presents films and stage productions
The New Grand movie theater opened on November 10, 1919, and was located at 415 DeMers Avenue, Grand Forks. In the 1930s it became part of the Paramount-Publix chain, and rechristened The Paramount. In 1954, the theater was remodeled and renamed the Empire. According to Cliff Knoll, then general manager of the Paramount, the name Empire was taken from the development of a new empire of oil, land development, and industry. The Empire closed due to poor attendance and was opened as a 99 cent movie theater on July 17, 1987. In 1994, it was scheduled to become a first run movie house again, but in April this plan was abandoned and the theater was closed. Later that year renovations were undertaken again to bring the Empire back to life. These renovations encountered some setbacks due to the Flood of 1997. The project continued nonetheless, and the Empire Arts Center reopened on March 27, 1998.
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: Sandy Slater, Department of Special Collections.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Empire Arts Center Records. OGLMC 1411. Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections. Chester Fritz Library. University of North Dakota.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid migrated to Archon in March 2013.
Collection Material Type: Business Records
Scope and Contents: The Empire Arts Center Records consists of one promotional program guide for upcoming events, workshops and exhibits. Also included are two invitations to the opening night, one program with acknowledgments of those involved in the reopening, and two programs for opening weekend, March 27- 28, 1998.