The Pi Beta Phi Sorority was formed in 1867 at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois. It was the first national secret college society of women to be modeled after the Greek-letter fraternities of men. Pi Beta Phi now has over 160 chapters throughout the United States and Canada. The mission of the organization is to promote friendship, develop women of intellect and integrity, cultivate leadership potential, and enrich the lives of members and their communities.
The members of Pi Beta Phi Sorority are known as the "Pi Phi Angels" and their colors are wine and silver blue. Their official flower is the wine carnation and their official crest derives from the coat of arms of the Brownlee family, in recognition of Pi Beta Phi Sorority's first president, Emma Brownlee Kilgore.
The Alpha Chapter of Pi Beta Phi originated on the University of North Dakota campus in 1917, as Psi Omega Psi. In 1921, all Psi Omega Psi members became charter members of Alpha Chapter, the 64th chapter of the Pi Beta Phi Sorority. In 1927, the women of Alpha Chapter moved into their permanent chapter house at 409 Cambridge Street.