- Record Groups
- UND Archives
- Music Department Records
Music Department Records, 1924-1997
The University of North Dakota's first actual music instructor, Mrs. Cora Eaton-Smith, began teaching at UND in 1884. The initial objective was to provide singing instruction for future school teachers. In 1900, music became mandatory for all Normal and Preparatory College students. Courses of study included tone, rhythm and tone color. The College of Liberal Arts began offering a Bachelor of Science degree in music in 1916. By this time, it was also possible to earn a two-year Special Certificate through the School of Education. In 1919 the Music Department was placed within the School of Education, and in 1960 UND became the first and only North Dakota institution of higher education to offer graduate degrees in music. In 1971, the UND Music Department became a part of the new College of Fine Arts.
Ellingson, Sharon. A History of the University of North Dakota Music Department. Grand Forks: The University of North Dakota, 1983.