School districts began to be organized in Grand Forks County in the 1870s. As the population increased, new districts were created and most of these were rural districts. Children would often walk up to several miles to attend school. Some of the townships had as many as four school districts whereas others only had one. Boundaries of school districts changed regularly.
Elroy H. Schroeder was a rural school teacher in Grand Forks County from 1919 to 1922. After teaching music at St. James Academy in Grand Forks for a couple of years, he served as Superintendent of Schools for Grand Forks County from 1926 to 1933. During the latter part of his term as Superintendent, Schroeder requested that teachers or other members of school districts within the county answer some questions about the history of the districts. The materials in the collection represent the responses to his requests and provide interesting details about early school district and township history.
White, Hugh L. (ed.). Who's Who for North Dakota. Bismarck, ND: Conrad Publishing Co., 1955.