The Geology Club at the University of North Dakota was organized in 1937. The purpose of the club was to further interest in the field of geology and to provide opportunities for the exchange of ideas. The organization was inactive during World War II, although it was re-organized in 1946. The need for another organization with a national affiliation to expedite contact with other geologists was felt; hence, the Beta Zeta Chapter of Sigma Gamma Epsilon was chartered on October 21, 1950.
Membership was open to any registered UND student majoring in Geology, Geologic Engineering, or any branch of the Earth Sciences. Members needed to have completed seventeen semester hours in these fields, as well as attain a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. According to the By-Laws, the final decision on prospective membership was based on “their enthusiasm for the Science; it is deemed important that a candidate for active membership shall have the ability to mingle socially with his fellow man.”